cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,715 REPLIES 1,715

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
An exception to the un/re-branding thing is the Winnebago brand. They badge their rentals with the Chalet name rather than the model name. So ours still says Chalet, as do others that we've seen out there that are clearly personally owned now. Not a big deal to us, and how many people know that a Winnebago Chalet is a rental, or for that matter how much do we care if they do?

The other factor is ghosting. So on ours the rental dealer had lettering for their web address across the back, easily read at an angle because of ghosting of the fiberglass. Try as I might to clean it off with various cleaners that claim to remove ghosting, it didn't get much better. So we just started putting our travel stickers over that area ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
One question---Do the rental companies remove their company decals before selling the units? I'm not crazy about the idea of driving around with "El Monte RV" in giant red letters front and rear.

Leave them on. You can do most anything and everybody will think your a rookie. People will help you level your rig, help you back in and at dump site just stand by your hose and somebody will come running.

Just a thought.

OK serious now...I've never seen any rental sold with the company name still on it. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

LOL it's a thought!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
This is my former Cruise America rental. Cruise America owns the brand name: Majestic and repaints/re-stripes/re-badges the coach under the Majestic name after it is removed from the rental fleet and put up for sale to the public.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

path1
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
One question---Do the rental companies remove their company decals before selling the units? I'm not crazy about the idea of driving around with "El Monte RV" in giant red letters front and rear.

Leave them on. You can do most anything and everybody will think your a rookie. People will help you level your rig, help you back in and at dump site just stand by your hose and somebody will come running.

Just a thought.

OK serious now...I've never seen any rental sold with the company name still on it. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes they do and in most cases they replace it with the original Decals that cover the area where they were. As in my case.
This is the rental

This is mine

All Decals are removed and the areas where they were are buffed out.
Buying A Rental Class C

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

liamlunchtray
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching this to death and I really think that El Monte seems like the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately we won't be able to pull the trigger until after the 1st of the year - I just hope that they still have some decent stock then. We're leaning towards a Fleetwood 28T. I really like the 31N too, but they are still priced closed to 40k. I'm hoping for something in the $28-32k range. We have 2 middle school aged kids, so we won't be full timing or anything like that, but we want an upgrade from our pop up that will give us enough room to breathe.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelcop wrote:
I would like to jump in for a few questions.
Do the rental companies drop prices significantly after the season?

Yes they do, right now El Monte RV is having a End of season fleet reduction sale
Buying A Rental Class C

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
CA does have the maintenance history. How long after the sale do they retain it? I don't know. I can tell you that you should make receiving a printed copy of the maintenance history a condition on the Purchase and Sale Agreement. The salesman that I dealt with was, in my opinion, a slime ball. He loved me until the point I signed the P&S and gave him the check. As soon as I drove the MH off of the lot he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. Calls went unanswered and when I got through he blew me off.

It doesn't matter if it is CA or any other company. Don't pay in full until you receive everything that you asked for.
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Oh thats good to know.... I wish CA would include their maintenace record in a sale... then that would certainly be more compelling

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
BoxinTheCompass, I can't recall if anyone has mentioned it here, but El Monte RV gives you a brand new mattress when you purchase a new motorhome.

Cruise America also provides a new mattress, as well as new tires on their motorhomes for sale.

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Hi yes I saw that advertised.... I think they also recover some of the cushions...

Strange thing though, the little side window on El Monte's site doesnt display on my abdroid phone or kindle tablet... but did show on my pc

Even more compelling... but may upgrade the mattress anyway

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
BoxinTheCompass, I can't recall if anyone has mentioned it here, but El Monte RV gives you a brand new mattress when you purchase a new motorhome. In my case, they also replaced all the Michelin tires that were on recall. They also gave me about twenty pages of service documentation. They document every turn of a screw and every single service performed. My 31M Tioga has undergone more service by El Monte that I would have ever done myself. So far, my 2008 Tioga has performed flawlessly, and even tackled the road between Oatman, Arizona and I-40, which has to be worst maintained road in America.

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
It is a great thread... I appreciate all the input from the actual owners who took the time to post. Seems the naysayers are not actual owners of previously owned rental RVs. I am looking myself at purchasing from El Monte in Orlando in the next year.

Iamichabod has been a very nice resource on this and some other threads, thanks to all who reply

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
Great Thread!
I figured I'd post. RoadAbode will be "new to us" for 10 years this coming November. I think we purchased from the Company that the "second ever poster" Johnworth914 - use to work for in NJ.
When we got her she had 36k on the odometer. We looked at three models there that day and opted for RoadAbode - a clean rental 2004 Coachman RoadMaster 29'. First thing we bought (with the "gift certificate" the dealer included) was a quilted mattress topper - my wife and I both say we sleep better in RoadAbode than at home. Our two girls have grown up - and grown closer - RVing together. My eldest is 21 - and still wants to go on our family trips! We've been up to Canada, Bar Harbor Maine, and down to Kentucky and plenty of points in-between. We also tow a 2007 Honda Fit now - use to tow a 2002 Honda Accord. A little limited on car choices with the 3500# hitch. (The cars are new-to-us too!)

We've just passed 63,000 miles, and have done plenty of things to make her our own, and only had a few issues - New tires all around in 2008, fixed the entry step two years ago, and did some rear quarter panel work last week. Blogged some of our adventures - link below I think.

So you people who want to do a rental - Just do your homework, read up - a lot - what to look for, and then enjoy the lifestyle!
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog