cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
eldel wrote:
Another small point - I was told that the backup warning is "disabled during refurbishment" - and yet I see in here that previous buyers have a working one. Anyone know how to re-enable this?

The black rectangle behind the bike rack on my 2005 28R is the backup sonar. I unplugged the connector behind it because the rack and car-in-tow would set it off. Also the backup beep comes from the bulbs in the tail lights. When I put the transmission in reverse the backup lights turn on and the beeping starts.

eldel - New news to me but yesterday, I was in the process of cleaning my reverse light lenses and found one of these under one:

Beeping Reverse Light

One of the other forum members mentioned that he/she thought that this was the case so I wanted to validate that statement. I'm never at the back of the coach when in reverse so I've never thought about this.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
Booner wrote:
...but I do hope I don't have to go all Missouri Redneck on them. It ain't pretty.

Now that's funny!
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
texasvwnut--

Thanks for the message and info. I'll follow your advise.

IAMICHADBOD--
Thanks for the picture. I may have to do that.
With you being 6'6," don't you get tired that the world is made for short people? (Remember the song "Short people ain't got no body?--I'm dating myself).

I'll be back when I get the unit and share my experience. It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all those who have done the same before me. I realize that I'm dealing with salesmen who's only care is selling another unit, and that it's a seller's market right now so their attention to detail may be lacking. I'm a very patient person, but I do hope I don't have to go all Missouri Redneck on them. It ain't pretty.

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
MtnBikeMarty--

I called a couple of the companies that sell the rotating bases and asked them why they didn't list and Ford bases past model year 2008 or so. The basic response from the sales people didn't know, but I suspect it has something to do with the airbags. I know Fords have tight cabins but there should be something available.
Then I thought I'm doing it wrong, instead of looking at a class C RV, I should look for a Ford E350 truck and I found a seat base from the Sportsmobile company that would fit, but the price was around $350.

I can wait until I get the unit and take my own measurements. I've modified several vans into campers so I know it can be done, all it may take is a cutting torch, a good drill, and a little creativity.

I'm more concerned in getting a little more recline in the drivers seat. It could be an awful long trip back to Missouri if I have to sit so close to the steering wheel. I have a friend who lives down in Colorado Springs with a pretty good shop and a lot of tools, so that may be my first trip and modification. He used to have an RV so he and I can go over my unit and fix some of the problems that CA don't address.

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
eldel wrote:
Booner - you can put rotating bases on the seats - the question is will the seats actually rotate. I've measured mine (28A) up pretty carefully and I don't think they will. Not without some bizarre offset point of rotation or having the door open or some other silly restriction. They are *very* tight. I'm getting a quote next week to rip out the couch and move the passenger seat back and slightly inboard to allow it to rotate. I'll report back on how feasible (read: expensive) that is.

Rotating Seats:
I haven't measured mine but the on-line research I've done (for my CA 27G, E450) I thinking trying the passenger rotating seat base first and order it from these guys...
https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanseatbases/rvvanFordseatbases.htm
I'll update this when I acutally do, just been busy getting ready for trip next week.
MtnBikeMarty

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
Booner wrote:
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what is under the dinette bench seat behind the drivers seat? I may not have to remove the base of the seat depending what under there, but just the seat back in order to recline the drivers seat a bit more.

Again, thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. Your efforts greatly put my mind at ease.

Booner - I picked up a 23A from Federal Heights in July. I sent you a Private Message. I opened both dinette seat compartments to clean. As others mentioned I can confirm that on the 23A, the Fuse Panel, various wiring, seatbelts and anchors and the storage tube for the dinette table is under the seat directly behind the driver.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Booner

Welcome to the Forum,also a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club.

I Know that this thread is long but there is wealth of information contributed by our Forum members,hopefully it has been helpful to you,also maybe answered some of your questions.

When you pick your unit please come on back and share your experiences on the purchase and your comments on how it went and what you liked or didn't.

Again Welcome to the Forum and I can't wait to hear back form you after the purchase.

I can sympathize with you on the problem of not having enough leg room,at 6'6" I have the same problem,luckily my RV is built on a Chevy Chassis it has a lot more room up front.

One thing that Fleetwood did on theirs is that they made a cutout in the dinette seat back so the drivers seat could be relined more. This doesn't affect the seating any way because the cushion is quite stiff and leans against the seat back.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
eldel,

Thank you, I'll be very interested in what you're doing to the driver and passenger seats. I see rotating bases offered, but not for the 2015-2016 model years, and I wonder why? Are the stock seat bases for the 2016 year the same as the stock bases for the earlier years? When I get more involved in the drivers' seat modifications, I'll give the sellers a call. I'm more interested in getting the backs of the seat to recline more than I am in them rotating, although that would be nice too, as it would make those seats more usable in a camping situation.

I also want to thank you for mentioning the inspector you used when you purchased your RV. I called them and am using them to inspect my RV too. I hope you found them to be a valuable service and that their report gave you a higher sense of well-being in buying a used RV. I mentioned to them that I had read your comments that you used them here on RV.net and they was very pleased with that.

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
Booner - you can put rotating bases on the seats - the question is will the seats actually rotate. I've measured mine (28A) up pretty carefully and I don't think they will. Not without some bizarre offset point of rotation or having the door open or some other silly restriction. They are *very* tight. I'm getting a quote next week to rip out the couch and move the passenger seat back and slightly inboard to allow it to rotate. I'll report back on how feasible (read: expensive) that is.

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
MtmBikeMarty,
Thank you. After watching CA's videos of how to fix some common problems I got the feeling that the fuse panel was down there. I'll have to figure out a "work around" about the panel. I've got to have more "recline" on the drivers seat.
Why in the world don't they make things for us normal sized people?

fadumpt,
Thank you too. I'm hoping I don't have all of that stuff under the dinette seats, as I think I'd like to convert it to a couch of some kind. But for sure I'm going to have to remove the back off of the one behind to drivers seat. And the tiny seat behind the passenger seat looks kind of useless too. I believe the entertainment center will go there. I've got a radio and a DVD player from an old van build I did that will go there.

Does anyone know if I can put rotating bases on the stock driver and passenger seats? I see where they make them for older Ford seats.

fadumpt
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't experimented with angle yet but I did go with a 130 degree camera. Its looking down at the bumper right now and the bumper looks curved. I'm going to have to play around with a sweet spot to see all of my tow dolly toad as well.
2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
On mounting a backup camera to CA 28A.

I just finished mounting a Haloview 7108 wireless camera to my 28A and I thought I'd add a couple of points to fadumpt's excellent coverage.

Firstly - the angle of the camera. This isn't a wide a view as I expected. Mounted about 4" below the center marker light the furthest angle I can get means that the visual frame starts about 4ft from the rear of the vehicle and ends about 25ft away. Not a lot of good for seeing anything following you. Also - the mast ariel sticking up from the camera is right up against the marker light - which prevents the camera getting that last little bit of angle. It advertizes a 120 degree wide viewing angle. This is probably true - but I'll emphasize that's wide - not tall. The vertical angle is probably around 30 degrees.

Secondly - the wiring. Although it's obvious in retrospect - if you blindly 'color match' the wires you will get -12V to the camera - whereas it needs +12V. Swap them. Also - there isn't enough room between the rear outer wall and the inner wall to get the connected power feed all the way in (it's a 2 part connector) and I got fed up trying to feed in the camera end and fish it out of the marker light to connect it. Thus I ended up with the hole mainly filled with the connector - and a lot of sealent.

In retrospect I don't think I would have chosen this setup. It doesn't give me the rear view distance that I wanted (and the mounting system doesn't allow it to increase significantly) and the 'keep it clear of the ground and the dirt' advantage doesn't outweigh that. I had hoped that it would be able to see back across any trailer but that doesn't seem to be the case. Mounting it on the roof or on the hitch would be a more sensible option I think.

YMMV.

fadumpt
Explorer
Explorer
On the 28a,the furnace is also under the other dinette seat. The cabinet with 2 sets of hinges in the kitchen has the ductwork that goes on to the bathroom and bedroom.
2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Booner wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am a new member here and I'll be picking up my new-to-me CA 23A Majestic supposedly by the 15th of September in Denver....
Does anyone know what is under the dinette bench seat behind the drivers seat? I may not have to remove the base of the seat depending what under there, but just the seat back in order to recline the drivers seat a bit more.
Again, thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. Your efforts greatly put my mind at ease.

Hi Booner,
I have the 27G CA RV, which is up from the 23A but not as big as the 28A, on mine the dinette seat behind the driver's seat is fuse box for the coach, with lots of wiring coming into the back of it. Also is the storage tube for the dinette table leg when you drop the table to a bed.
FYI for those wondering about the other seat of the dinette, isn't much but the duct for the heater and vent blowing out to the "hallway".
MtnBikeMarty