cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying DEF - where?

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am new to the diesel side and am curious as to where to find DEF to purchase? Checked the local Walmart and no luck. Is it generally easy to find on the road? Taking a major trip from the NW to the NE and then down to AZ for the winter eventually.

Thanks for any information!
21 REPLIES 21

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
When I was motorhome shopping, I noticed that the Thor diesels all had the tank on the passenger side and found that to be very odd.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, Pilot and Flying J offer DEF at the pumps for less money than when buying it in containers. My only problem is that with a new motorhome needing DEF for the first time, I haven't gotten the courage to get it that way. My problem is that the DEF is always on the left side of the coach. My DEF tank is on the right side. So, I will have to fill a bottle, take it around the motorhome and pour it in myself in 2.5 gallon increments. Again like others have said, today I purchased two 2.5 gallon containers at a local Walmart for a little over $4/gallon.

Ed Headington

cmoecmoe
Explorer
Explorer
catkins,

I was surprised to find 2.5 Gal containers for sale on amazon at a very reasonable price. I have prime, so free shipping.

Most auto parts, truck stops and "SuperStores" have them. If the superstore has a gas station that sells diesel, check out there.

Good luck!

Craig
Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
You can get DEF at the pump at Pilot locations. Much easier and, IIRC, cheaper than buying it in containers.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I buy 1 gallon jugs from advanced auto parts or Napa. Since DEF does have a shelf life I like to buy only as much as I need at that time.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had no problem getting DEF at Walmarts regardless of city/state. It's also available at truck stops for much less when purchased from the pump in the truck lanes.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
I was in an ARCO station in Salton Sea, CA and they had a pallet load of DEF. I would say DEF can easily be found at any truck stop. You might do a search on Wal Marts web site and then check store inventory.