cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab-over storage - cabinets vs bunk

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Currently dragging a travel trailer around, and looking at some motor homes online. Something that the wife & I had liked about class C motorhomes in general was the cab-over bunk/storage area, both for general storage and for extra berthing if we have guests along.

A few of the models I've seen online have what appears from the outside to be a full cab-over... but from the inside, the space seems to be walled off with TV, stereo/dvd player, and cabinetry. In the pictures it appears 'stock', or at least matches the rest of the interior fairly closely. The lone set of 'doors' don't appear adequate for accessing the entirety of that space, at least just looking at the pictures.

Has anyone here seen this setup before? Is there a good reason for it? Any luck at converting it back to a more 'normal' cab-over bunk setup?
8 REPLIES 8

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
callans1 wrote:
we just purchased a new class C with a full sized cabover, but it had the entertainment center you are describing. Our tech guy at the dealer said it is very easy to take out that entertainment center and convert back to full cab over sleeping area. He is ordering the bed cushions from the factory and will rehang the TV on a swing arm. He said that cabinet is just a box that is inserted in the cab area and easy to remove. I'll let you know how it worked......haven't gotten a date for pickup yet.

I just replaced the tv in my over the cab entertainment cabinet and agree it would be pretty easy to pull the cabinet assembly out should the next buyer want that. They didn't distort the bunk area at all in the placement of those cabinets.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

callans1
Explorer
Explorer
we just purchased a new class C with a full sized cabover, but it had the entertainment center you are describing. Our tech guy at the dealer said it is very easy to take out that entertainment center and convert back to full cab over sleeping area. He is ordering the bed cushions from the factory and will rehang the TV on a swing arm. He said that cabinet is just a box that is inserted in the cab area and easy to remove. I'll let you know how it worked......haven't gotten a date for pickup yet.

twyand
Explorer
Explorer
We are a couple with a 10 year old daughter; we like the bunk setup so my daughter can have a little "privacy" from Mom and Dad at night. Having her own TV/DVD player would make her trip as well. After having several boats before this, we hate having to convert something into a bed when we are tired.
twyand
2001 Ford/LA West conversion van

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
There are many folks like me that never have guests sleeping in the rv, and having that huge sleeping area is a waste of space for us. Having the entertainment center there for us made much more sence. We looked only at non berth style class C units and found exactly what we wanted in a well cared for used unit. The previous owners also never had guests spend the night so there are at least two of us that travel that way.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. I hadn't realized there may be a possibility of further access (slide-out). I'm guessing since the pics didn't show it, probably not in this case. Definitely something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks,

Monte

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
When looking for my new rig. I saw many C's with the cabinets in the cab over area. I do not like the set up. I want the space for general storage or extra sleeping space. Mine has been used both ways.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I personally prefer the cabover bed compared to the entertainment center, or the hybrid entertainment center and two twin bunks.

As for a full cabover versus the abbreviated cabover of a B+, I rather go with the full cabover. The amount of space obtained definitely comes in handy, especially when stashing sleeping bags and heavy blankets for the summer.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can think of three major versions:

1. Max Occupancy, where the Cabover contains big sleeping cushions. Ours is like that so it's rated "Sleeps Eight." Tow persons in Rear Queen Bed, In Cabover, Two in Dinette, Two on Foldout Sofa. Good luck with the last two, but small to midsize kids will fit.

2. Entertainment Center, sounds like what you're describing, with a TV as the centerpiece and cabinet doors to the sides. And you're right, difficult to reach all the space. Some have a slideout berth for one person. I like that style.

3. The so-called "B-Plus" which doesn't have the big cabover, just a fairing from the low, narrow van cab, blending into the higher, wider, Class C "house." There's nothing "B" about them. A Class B RV is built within the metal confines of a VAN. Maybe a van with a raised roof. But a Class C means an RV "house" on a cutaway van chassis.

Call them what you will the "B+" can be a very nice Class C for small groups, like a couple. That's what we started looking for, but we went traditional C when we looked at floor plan and storage. The "B+" tends to be shorter, lower, and sometimes narrower, than the traditional and entertainment center versions.

There are many variations, all useful, none perfect. Naturally, engineering and quality are very important, but Who will Use it and How should be your prime considerations. If it has great design and assembly but rejects your lifestyle. what good is it?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB