cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car towing system for my new Class A

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks made the plunge today more than I wanted to spend brought my first CLASS A Motorhome new...finally out of the TT but I'm sure it will be worth it to travel with during m upcoming retirement. So the question to all I'm looking for the best system to tow my 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Any suggestion out there I'd appreciate it. I've hear a lot about the Blue Ox but I see it requires an extensive disassembly and cutting of my front end of the new car which I'm sure would void the warranty. Having the RV dealer do the installation won't guarantee it will be done right either. And I'd hate any electrical issues with a Hybrid. Any suggestions other than getting another car to tow? Thought of a car hauling trailer not familiar with that either and with the car and trailer I'd go over the 5K towing I'm sure.
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
10 REPLIES 10

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
M&G Engineering is a GREAT braking system! Check out their website. I have it and love it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a Roadmaster base plate on my Ford Edge, which I believe is really close to your MKZ. I went with a coach mounted tow bar, decreases drilling and cutting of the Toad. I thought it was really easy. I did due the Hopkins diode kit, it wouldn't fit down through the uni-body, but I was able to pull the hatch gasket and go around the top. Just watch out for the tar they use on the hatch gasket.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you use aux lights and not cut into factory wiring there shouldn't be an issue there. don't know why cutting out facia would void any warranty however. I wouldn't mess at all with factory wiring hookups, etc.
my blue ox baseplate on my VUE ended up with only two small tubes showing.
I assume the owner's manual gives instructions on towing 4 down and you will be getting a braking system of some kind. I used brake buddy but if you are starting from scratch a tow bar with built in braking system would be easier.
bumpy

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have over the years towed 5 different Grand Cherokees, a Honda Civic, and now tow a Ram 1500 pickup. I have installed each base plate from Blue Ox myself. Also I have a M&G braking system installed on the Ram, and never have I had even a question regarding warranty work for any of those vehicles. I think you are worried about something that isn't really a problem.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
To all Thanks for all the great information. First I like the idea of going to Roadmaster for that deal except I'm in Massachusetts and that would mean I need to tow my car out there first. As for the weight of my car it's a lite weight about 3800#'s. Car is fine for towing all 4 down being a drive by wire car it has a simple electronic disconnect to tow which I guess is nice. I can see weighting some of the items to figure out the weight but I'm not sure I have a place around here that could weight it loaded... Don't know of any weight stations or places near where I live in Tyngsboro, Ma right next to the NH border. If anyone has a suggestion,As for the installation I went over the entire process. Being quiet capable of tackling most task at home, car and work I figured how hard can it be and though it's not disconnecting many electrical connections he does require a disassembly of the frt end, lites and a fairly decent amount of cutting to fit things in there. Like the Hyundai person said if there's no issues ur fine, but if it falls around what u touched the dealer will fight u tooth and nail blaming someone else and if there is on a car like mine can be disastrous with so much electronics it makes Best Buy look bad... so I guess it's a call I have to think about after I view all the options so keep them coming please. 🙂 Thanks everyone...
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I put a blue ox bracket on my Hyundai while it was still under warranty. I took it in for some warranty work and was told it was fine. If what I did damaged something warranty won't cover the damage. The dealership I took it to said they liked the way the hitch was made and did not affect the warranty.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford published owner's manual does provide instruction for recreational four down towing so you don't not need to modify the powertrain in any manner. But without adding a base plate your options are a dolly, trailer or find a beater to modify and tow four down.

Looking at the installation instructions for a Blue Ox base plate I'm at a loss to find anything that might impact the mechanical systems of the vehicle. Pretty much any based plate is going to involve disassembly of the front end clip and some modification of the structure behind the clip. Installation isn't difficult for a confident mechanic or body tech but any shop is going to charge several hundred to do the work for the labor time.

The Blue Ox recommended power for brake, turn and driving lights from the coach is diode based and although involves splicing into the wires at the lights I can't see how it could be a warranty issue also considering it will be very easy to remove and return the circuit to original if necessary. You could bypass the mod by using magnetic lights on the trunk lid.

Up to you as the owner. If the warranty issue is flashing in your eyes then find a dolly and hit the road.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dmctlc wrote:
Well folks made the plunge today more than I wanted to spend brought my first CLASS A Motorhome new...finally out of the TT but I'm sure it will be worth it to travel with during m upcoming retirement. So the question to all I'm looking for the best system to tow my 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Any suggestion out there I'd appreciate it. I've hear a lot about the Blue Ox but I see it requires an extensive disassembly and cutting of my front end of the new car which I'm sure would void the warranty. Having the RV dealer do the installation won't guarantee it will be done right either. And I'd hate any electrical issues with a Hybrid. Any suggestions other than getting another car to tow? Thought of a car hauling trailer not familiar with that either and with the car and trailer I'd go over the 5K towing I'm sure.

the first question is CAN you flat tow your Lincoln? if it can be flat towed without modification to the tranny the next question will be what does it weigh? just because you have a hitch capable of towing 5K doesn't mean you can actually tow 5K.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configured for travel before choosing a toad. but you're already there and you still absolutely need to know. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.

you won't be able to make these calculations and know for certain whether you can tow your Lincoln until you load the MH as you would for a typical travel day and then get, at a minimum, individual axle weights and then do the arithmetic.

what I would suggest is what I've done with all 3-motorhomes that we've owned.

- get an actual empty weight (each axle) of your MH. minimal fuel, no water in any of the tanks, no or minimal LP, no food, supplies, etc. basically the way it came off the mfg assembly line. do not trust their empty weight. know what YOUR MH weighs.

- get a wet weight. fill the fuel, fresh water and LP tanks and re-weigh (each axle).

now you'll not only have a base (empty) weight but after the wet weight you'll know how much weight you can add to each axle before being overweight on either. if before or after the next step you end up close to the GAWR for either axle you can adjust by off loading some fresh water (8lbs per gal).

- now get a travel weight by keeping the water, LP and fuel tanks full (or whatever load of water you determine you can carry) but also loading up food, clothing, supplies, pets, people and other stuff. re-weigh each axle. basically the way you intend to travel.

then do the calculations I listed above. then and only then will you know for sure if you can flat tow your Lincoln. if it turns out you have to dolly or trailer your Lincoln you'll know the answer by adding the weight of the dolly or trailer to the weight of the Lincoln and then doing the arithmetic.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/falcon2.html We have used 2 Falcon II tow bars. The first we towed a small pickup over 80,000 miles using it. Stows on the back of the RV when not in use. Roadmaster has great customer service. If you are at a rally and they are there, they come around and check your tow bar and service it for free!! There are no brackets from Roadmaster for your vehicle, however they are looking for that vehicle to develop tow brackets and will provide free brackets and installation if you can travel to the state of WA for 5 days. Here's a link http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/brackets/vehicles-wanted.html
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi