cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cargo Capacity Guidelines?

Chris_F
Explorer
Explorer
Floorplan, cargo carrying capacity, and storage volume are mentioned as the "big three" when it comes to choosing a motorhome. Floorplans seem to be a personal choice, but I'm not sure about the last two. It's hard to tell if a particular unit has the minimum numbers I would need.

DW and I are planning to be full-timers. For the motorhomes we're considering, the OCCC's range from 2600 to 4800 pounds, and the exterior storage volumes range from 100 to 160 cubic feet. Is there a guideline I can use to estimate recommended minimums?
10 REPLIES 10

smokinhot
Explorer
Explorer
If full timing would get not anything without tag axle, have 7900 lbs. of occc on a 01 Dynasty.
2001 Dynasty

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing to watch for in weight is left right balance. Many coaches are far enough out of balance side to side that you cannot counter it with your loading. For example kitchen and generator on the same side. My coach is within 100 lbs of side to side balance and which side is heavy depends on where I am sitting as I outweigh DW by 100 lbs.

Manufacturers do not publish those weights. You need a level weigh scale and some time to get the individual wheel weights or a State Trooper with a set of scales who is willing to be helpful.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Chris_F
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the additional replies. I can report that at least one manufacturer thinks an OCCC of 2600 pounds may not be high enough. The 2600 pound rating is based on a chassis with a GVWR of 22,000 pounds, and the manufacturer offers a 24,000 pound chassis as an option. My local dealer estimated the cost of that to be about $3000. Hey, that's only $1.50 a pound.:)

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We (my wife and I) have 2800 pounds of CCC and would like to have 3500 pounds.

I have seen a number of motor homes (including some diesel pushers) that have as little as 360 pounds of CCC. That is hardly enough for a weekend much less full timing. For more info on CCC and the newer rating OCCC see:

CCC
HERE and

New OCCC
HERE

To get CCC from OCCC subtract the weight of the water and the people on board from the OCCC. That leaves you with the amount of cargo you can safely carry.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. For what it's worth we are full timers as well. Our coach has about 3100 pounds of CCC. We are always about 700 pounds over our GVWR. Part of our problem is our coach came with four x 6 volt batteries and we added four more along with 8 solar panels and a second inverter. That couple with too many tools, spares and a spare tire puts us over. We are comfortable being a little over but just be aware that the CCC gets gobbled up FAST as you load her up. Our cabinets look neatly arranged and not overpacked but the weight still adds up quick. Good luck and happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Leewhiz wrote:
So my advice is to get the highest CCC you can afford to get.
Get a "short" coach on a heavy chassis. You'll get the most CCC that way.

Leewhiz
Explorer
Explorer
Our CCC is about 2600 lbs. And that should e adequate if you don't have any hobby items with you and you don't plan on buying gifts to take back home.

We found that we were very close to that with the wifes' sewing machines, my tools and woodworking tools I wanted. Then when you added spares, i.e. filters, oil, coolant, etc, you likely be at our weight. We also made modifications to our unit that have also added weight. So my advice is to get the highest CCC you can afford to get.
Lee
2008 Tiffin Phaeton QDH

Chris_F
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a park model (33 x 12) for about 20 years on a lot we own at a campground, and that's been more than big enough. On the other hand, most of my longer distance camping has been from the back of a motorcycle. You learn pretty fast to cut weight and volume when camping that way!

I'm new at this, but I think the change from voluntary CCC reporting via the RVIA to regulated OCCC reporting means the numbers should be reasonably accurate. The regulations even require a dealer to add a special sticker if more than 100 pounds of aftermarket stuff is installed. If so, I suspect I don't need to weigh a unit myself. I realize I still should weigh each axle and wheel after loading up.

All of the units I've looked at have at least one full width compartment, and one has at least two. I'll have to pay more attention to this, though.

Thanks for the replies!

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying new the CCC should be on the company web site or in brochure. If buying used, I personally used the RVCG compilation list that told CCC for basically every used motorhome made. Or you can ask on specific Mhomes on this forum and pretty quick someone will know.

Size of storage area is something people don't talk much about in my experience. What is important is full width storage compartments and slide out trays. At least one full width storage area is needed or at least very nice to have.

Floor plan is pretty personal. We really liked ours because it was a south west theme. High quality leather upholstery, solid counter tops, a large hanging clothes storage area. We also wanted the front room and the back room of the coach to be pleasant to occupy so we could get a little space between my wife and I.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris...storage volumes mean squat when trying to figure out what to carry and where. At least that's my opinion. I found the first year full timing to be the most trying. You tend to load up the coach with everything including the kitchen sink. Then you find out the bathroom sink, although much smaller, works just as well. I remind the DW, when you buy something for the coach, what are you removing?

All that said, once you narrow down your search to two or three models, take them for a test drive to a Flying J/Pilot/TA whatever, truck stop and get up on the scales. Cost is about 10 bucks per weigh. Note the amount of fuel in the tank and whether the fresh water/grey/black tanks are empty. Don't forget the propane tank too. Armed with all that info, you can then reasonably calculate the CCC of each coach. You will find yourself looking at products for the coach based on usability and weight, not just usability. Aluminum will become your best friend...:)...Be aware, though, some coaches have very little wiggle room as far as CCC is concerned....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG