Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying Scooters

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I searched the site first but couldn't find this answer. I just bought two 150cc scooters to bring with me camping vs towing a vehicle or,since I have never actually towed, not having one with me. I have an older (1989) 28' class C. The only tow hitch it has is connected to the rear bumper with u bolts. It was on there when I purchased it and I know nothing about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry at least one of these scooters with me.
Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Been hauling dirt bikes for a long time on a variety of vehicles. On my 80's MH, I had a custom rack. Basically two arms welded directly to the frame rails and a channel for the bike welded across. There was a bumper hitch but I didn't trust it.

With my 24' '06, and a 100cc trail bike, I have three options:
1. A rack in a type III hitch. Plus- this is the quickest and most convenient. No backing/ manuvering problems. Negative- not the most secure against theft. Bike gets sun beat and dirty on a long trip. Does affect handling, on mine, the bike blocks the lic plate. Tail lights OK.

2. Small enclosed trailer (5 x 8). Plus- can carry 2 maybe three bikes and a lot of camping junk. Relatively secure. Tows very easy. No noticable affect on handling (until you back-up). Big plus, bikes are stored in trailer when home.
Negative- little short trailer is a pain to back-up with a long motorhome (but doable). Highway speed restricted, 55mph. Do get with a normal car size wheels.

3. Put the rack on the back of your toad. Plus - you have a car and a bike.
Negatives- see #1. I got a smaller beater bike just for this option.

Norms 2 cents
F1BNorm

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:
Before committing to front carry, check the headlight situation.

That's if you drive at night ... which many RV'ers don't do.

I'm not sure if some state laws may prohibit it, but if you do want to drive at night with partially blocked headlights from a front hitch mounted scooter ... you may be allowed to mount a couple of additional high power driving lights in the front that are not blocked by the scooter.

Personally I'd go this route before I would tow or carry a scooter off the rear hitch. We like to be able to camp in small campgrounds or parking spots if needed, so towing is out in order that we have this kind of flexibility.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I think Gene really nailed the problem. All but the smallest RV's usually have a long overhang and frame extensions. Until the last couple years the tongue weight has been limited to 350 lbs most of the time even if the tow weight was 5000 due to the extensions. One other thing most people dont think about and the hitch hauler co wont tell you is the tongue weight rating is for a load right next to the receiver like a ball hitch. The minute you put the long extension to the rack platform in you in effect put a lever in the receiver. That will reduce the amount of weight you can carry by 40-60% depending on the length. And there is another force called torque that is applied. It tends to pull the rear hitch bolts down while pushing the front bolts up. It wants to twist the frame or tear the rear bolts out or worst pull the frame extensions down enough that it compromises the house structure.
With all that said I do carry a Kawasaki KLR250 on a rear carrier. My unit had a class 4 receiver bolted to the frame extensions. I had the extensions reinforced with 2x2x1/4 angle iron and replaced all the bolts with grade 8 hardware and a fillet welded between the rear cross member and the frame to counteract the twist. I also shortened my carrier extension from 18" to 14", just enough to get the handlebars to clear the rear wall. I have 14000 miles hauling with this set up and have been assured by a frame mechanic the engine will fall out before the carrier falls off but everytime I hit a big bump or deep pothole my heart stops and I start looking for a place to pull over and check that everything is still attached. This winter I installed a high mounted rear view camera so I can see it all the time. I really would prefer a small trailer except that I bought a small class c so I could get into small places and towing would negate that.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Before committing to front carry, check the headlight situation.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend considering carrying one in the back using a rear hitch carrier and one on the front using a front hitch carrier.

With a scooter on each end, you won't get the weight distribution issues that result from carrying weight on only the rear hitch. You can keep each scooter covered with a wind-proof cover so it's protected from the sun, the weather, and road grime when traveling and camped. You can use case-hardened chain to secure each scooter to it's carrier and to secure each carrier to it's hitch. There are probably hitch carriers with a tilt-down lower rail for convenience in loading and unloading.

And last but not least, you won't have to deal with the negatives that come with towing ... even something relatively light.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dmbaker07 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I searched the site first but couldn't find this answer. I just bought two 150cc scooters to bring with me camping vs towing a vehicle or,since I have never actually towed, not having one with me. I have an older (1989) 28' class C. The only tow hitch it has is connected to the rear bumper with u bolts. It was on there when I purchased it and I know nothing about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry at least one of these scooters with me.
Thanks!
I'll provide you with a little long explanation to consider.

This subject comes up fairly frequently. There are several things you need to check. You need to know what your current "ready to go" weight is on the rear axle compared to the GAWR. Know the capacity of the receiver hitch - usually 350 or 500 lbs. Know the weight of your small scooter. Add the weight of the carrier for the scooter. Measure the distance from the front axle to the rear axle. Measure the distance from the rear axle to the center of your scooter carrier. Now multiply the weight of the scooter plus the carrier by the distance behind the rear axle. Divide this answer by the distance between the axles. This is the amount you are lifting off the front axle (the see-saw effect). If for example:
1. one scooter weighs 270 lbs
2. carrier weighs 75 lbs
3. the scooter is being carried 9 feet behind the rear axle
4. wheelbase is 17 feet.
(270+75=345 x 9 feet divide by 17 = 182). In this example the one scooter would be adding 527 lbs (345 lbs plus 182 lbs) to the rear axle and the front axle would be 182 lbs lighter.

We tried hauling a Honda Elite 150cc on our hitch and did not like what it did to handling and the difficulty of loading and unloading. Tried a light trailer. Did not like that as it was always splattered from road grime and we did not like it being out in the open as an invitation to a thief. Bought a small fiberglas enclosed trailer. The motorhome does not even know it is back there.

And, you do not have to unhook to back up. You just need a little practice on how to back it. Just look in your side mirrors and with your hand on the top of the steering wheel - push the trailer from appearing in your side mirrors by rotating the wheel in the the direction of that mirror (kinda like knocking it back to where it belongs).
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Chopperbob wrote:
Yeah for two a trailer would be better.

Doesn't work when you have a towed.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah for two a trailer would be better.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you will usually be taking two scooters along, I would favor a small trailer to carry them and other stuff. A cover of some sort would keep road grime and rain off the scooters, etc. I have carried my old Honda Trail 90 on a rear carrier but bike obstructs access to the rear cargo bay door while underway and any extra weight on the rear makes the rig lighter on the front wheels affecting handling somewhat. A bike on the front restricts access to engine. It also takes some effort to dismount and mount scooters etc. on a hitch rack

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
I do it. Solid welded rack on back and receiver hitch on front.
I can carry 150 vespa, 650 Dr 650, or Triumph Scrambler.
I also have a 4x8 ult trailer don't use it's for sale.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
weigh each axle of your rig loaded to travel, then decide if there is enough capacity to carry your scooters and where.
Do the math that if you add 270# + carrier cantilevered behind or ahead, how it will load your axles.

Keep in mind the see saw effect. Weight behind the rear axle takes weight off of the front axle and the farther behind the weight the more it takes off. If you do not have at least 80% of the max rated capacity on your front axle you will have handling issues.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a receiver-style hitch added to your Class C you should be able to carry one scooter safely. The hitch is typically good for a 500# tongue load. A small trailer is also a good solution but you would have to disconnect the trailer if you needed to back up.
Currently Between RVs

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a small trailer also. But, I would try to find one with larger tires. I don't like pulling a trailer at freeway speeds with those tiny tires. My snowmobile trailer has small tires but they are heavy duty for small tires. If I were you, I would try to find a small, enclosed trailer to keep everything dry. You could probably use the trailer for other jobs or just store your scooters in them and keep your garage space for something else.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

jbilling
Explorer
Explorer
Dmbaker07 I bought a small Harbor frt, trailer and installed a 3/4" marine grade plywood deck with 2 sets of u channel 4" with wheel chocks at the front to hold the wheels in place. I carry my 300cc scooter, a 50cc mini chopper, and my extra 7 gallon water containers (2). My total cost was less than $400. They have a 4' x 8' model that folds for storage for only $299 right now #90154. I have a rear camera that let's me keep an eye on the trailer when traveling. I can even back the trailer into back in campsites. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the trailers quick reactions to steering inputs from the MH. Good luck with your scooters. Jeff