cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash price on fuel

somuch2see
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like to be misled by their big signs on the interstate advertising their prices, pull off, and the see a 5-6 cent increase on the pump. I can't read that little sign that says cash until I'm stopped and right beside the sign. I know that using a CC costs them a few cents but come on, does anyone really carry that much cash when they are traveling?
A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.
32 REPLIES 32

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks WildeBill , Kroger is up to $1.00 discount and it is for only 35 gallons. I personally have never received a dollar discount, thats more groceries than we can eat in a month. Like many I plan a strategy to attack a fuel stop as not to cause damage to MoHo. Ian fairly short compared to most , but you still have to be careful. I live close to a Kroger and use them for Initial fuel up before starting a trip. And convenient for our cars. Yes the price of fuel is not going to break the bank, and when out on the road you have to accept what the normal is in the area you are traveling. But we are all consumers and like to get the most bang for our hard earned dollar.I know some of you multi millionaires don't mind though.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
How much should we really care about the price?

For me, making a mistake an pulling into a "regular" gas station vs. a truck stop, could cause me major heartache and possible physical damage. How much is that worth?
Let's do some math. Let's say that you have to pay .25/gallon more (an extreme) to go to a safe, simple, in and out fuel station and avoid the ever-so-tight local gas station. So, estimating 10 MPH and 7000 miles driven per year that would be 700 gallons of fuel each year. 700 X .25 equals $175 extra spent over the course of a years travels. In reality, it will never be that much and some will travel more and some will travel less but the facts are that when it comes to what else you have to pay, the difference between what you pay for fuel at a truck stop or a local station will be so little that you would have to laugh that you ever made this a consideration when trying to get fueled up.

X2

I don't. I fuel up when I need it. Where ever and for whatever price.

When I hit the road full time was the exact moment when gas prices hit an all time high of $5.00 to $6.00 a gallon. :E

After those 'long' months on the road? I don't care what price gas is now as long as it is not 6 bucks I'm good with it! :W

IMHO certainly not worth the hassle of 'looking' for a lower price station while RV'ing.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have the PilotFlyingJ card from GS with the $2,000 limit. I do not like carrying a lot of cash. They send me a bill at the end of the cycle and I pay that amount. You do have to pay the full amount at the end of the cycle. Tried using one of the smaller stations but I had to wait almost a half hour for enough cars to move so I could get out. I just use PilotFlyingJ now. Its easy in easy out. I could use the rv lanes where they have them but it takes to long to fill 125 gallon. I prefer to use the truck lanes where the pumps are faster.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much should we really care about the price? For me, making a mistake an pulling into a "regular" gas station vs. a truck stop, could cause me major heartache and possible physical damage. How much is that worth?
Let's do some math. Let's say that you have to pay .25/gallon more (an extreme) to go to a safe, simple, in and out fuel station and avoid the ever-so-tight local gas station. So, estimating 10 MPH and 7000 miles driven per year that would be 700 gallons of fuel each year. 700 X .25 equals $175 extra spent over the course of a years travels. In reality, it will never be that much and some will travel more and some will travel less but the facts are that when it comes to what else you have to pay, the difference between what you pay for fuel at a truck stop or a local station will be so little that you would have to laugh that you ever made this a consideration when trying to get fueled up.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
Also the GasBuddy app will give you prices of stations near you.

I second GasBuddy, much better price than Flying J most of the time, even with the card. You must check if it is cash price too as some credit price are much higher.

I tend not to fuel up near the big highways where truckers goes. They normally don't want to travel far for fuel or their employer pays the bill, so they don't really car about price.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
booty51 wrote:
Bill.Satalite, that TDECU is a Texas Dow Employee Credit Union. If you use there credit card at Bucee's you get a discount. I agree with all about various schemes with fuel pricing. I guess its just the world we live in. Most places have some kind of program ,that if you use such and such you will get a discount of some type on fuel. Even at Kroger if you have a Kroger customer card you get .03 cents off up to .10 cents depending how much groceries is purchased that month. I do like Kroger fuel , Shell is the supplier.

Just a clarification on the Kroger discount. The .03 is your basic discount with a(free) Kroger card. The additional discount is $0.10 per $100.00 spent up to $1.00 discount on fuel for the first 35 gallons.
I still use Bucee's because it is generally the cheapest diesel and is easy in and out.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen 25 cents price difference across the street between ARCO and Shell station.
Going to Vegas with car I always check gassbuddy. In suburbans you can buy fuel half a dollar cheaper than on the strip. The stations on desert can cost you full dollar more and I have seen 15 cents higher for CC.
I think the cash discount come from times of lot of CC frauds, where stations lost lot of money beside 2-3% CC charge them.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
The cash price is just a bait and switch pricing. Actually fuel companies really don't care for cash as they have a hire a courier like Brinks to transfer the money to the bank which is not cheap. We used carry a quite a bit of cash in our MH but stopped doing it when we witnessed my sons house burning to the ground and most insurance companies won't pay more than $200.00 for cash lost in a fire. Use mostly plastic and GasBuddy and plan my fuel stops in advance. The prices on diesel fuel can vary up to $.25 a gallon:)

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satalite, that TDECU is a Texas Dow Employee Credit Union. If you use there credit card at Bucee's you get a discount. I agree with all about various schemes with fuel pricing. I guess its just the world we live in. Most places have some kind of program ,that if you use such and such you will get a discount of some type on fuel. Even at Kroger if you have a Kroger customer card you get .03 cents off up to .10 cents depending how much groceries is purchased that month. I do like Kroger fuel , Shell is the supplier.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Where I buy fuels the difference is solid 10 cents.
I pay depends what I have in my pocket. Having lot of cash, I use it, but I have CC that pays me 1 or 2 % back, so the difference comes to much less.
Considering going to the cashier building at the end of the station twice, I don't think the minimal saving on cash payment is worth it.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has a card that gains points for purchases at various places including Exxon.
In South Carolina near Columbia we filled up, 92 gallons, for 40.31.
Filled up the car later for a little over four dollars.
Plenty card or some such.
At one station we paid 1.83 gal on Sunday northern part of SC.
We have the .03 discount card from Flyin J/Pilot but on a hundred gallons that's only 3.00 and generally a higher starting price.
I never did get a Pentagon Fed credit card with five percent rebate on all purchases.
Paid off the last of credit cards two weeks ago and don't intend to put anything on another. got three or four empty and will cancel them when it won't hurt credit rating. Yes it hurts credit rating to cancel them.
Debit/Credit Cards we have too but only use debit.
It pays to buy with cash. Found we could by fish off dock for ten perent less among other things.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 interesting things happened today related to fuel pricing. On our way back to the Houston area we came upon a Bucee's fuel station offering diesel at $1.89 which is a great price for the area. Once in place and ready to pump the pricing shows $1.99. To get the $1.89 price you have to pay with a TDECU credit card whatever the heck that might be. False advertising!? Likely! Bad business!? You bet. No change I will ever return to a Bucee's.
Later, I was running around town and needed gas for my car. Gas Buddy showed a nearby station with $1.89 gas (also very good). I pulled in, gave the attendant $30 cash and went out to pump. The pump showed $30 pre-paid and the price at $2.03. I went back inside and asked why the pump was not showing the $1.89 price. Turns out you needed to purchase a gas card (like the Wal-Mart card) to get the discounted price. So, despite paying cash, the price was .25/gallon higher than advertised without the card. I took my money back and drove to Kroger's where I paid $1.96 with a CC.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
eichacsj wrote:
This infuriates me when they charge for plastic. When we had our business the VISA rules stated we could not charge for the use of a card (pay the business use fees). That was back in 2014. Maybe things have changed, apparently so. I will not stop at a station that does that. Have you noticed it is mostly the middle east station owners that do this 😞 I have many times pulled to a pump, saw that they charge for plastic, got back in and drove down the street. If I am dangerously low I may put 5 bucks in but that is it.

They do not charge extra for the use of a CC as this is not allowed by the CC companies today just as it was not then. However, they do offer a discount if you pay with cash. Nothing has changed, you could have offered the same discount (but why would you!). This is also not a place to be playing the race card. It's just business no matter what race, creed or color happens to be running the business.

somuch2see
Explorer
Explorer
The store where I fuel locally has the same price for cc or cash. I have also pulled in and seen the diff price and pulled out. Just sits wrong with me that they have, cash price, advertised so small you can't read it as your going down the road. Seems misleading to me...
A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.