cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cat c7 question

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cat c7 7.2 liter engine in a 2004 Phaeton. I know that this was the first year that they changed over to the c7 7.2 liter from the previous years 7.2 liter cat engines. My question is how long did cat use the c7 engine like mine. I know that some of the later cat engines in motorhomes advertised 350 hp rather than the 330 mine claims. I am fairly happy with my engine . I was just wondering if cat used this same c7 engine like mine until they pulled out of the over the road engines.

Also what were the big changes in this c7 engine when compared to their previous 7.2 liter engines before 2004.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
20 REPLIES 20

goodady
Explorer II
Explorer II

From what I dug up, Cat stuck with the C7 7.2 liter engine in the Phaeton until around 2007. That's when they started tweaking things and pushing out those 350 hp beasts. As for changes, they did a bit of tinkering with the fuel system and added an ACERT technology to meet emission standards. Some say it brought a bit more efficiency.

mhickle
Explorer
Explorer

have a 2006 gulfstream with a c-7.have had to replace the huei pump 3 times now.  first one lasted 1000 mes. the second one lasted 600 miles. 3 rd one seems to be holding up now .it's got about 3500 miles on it now. hopefully won't have any more problems. all the work on everyone was done at a cat dealer also

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Discovery with a C7 Cat. This was the last C7 that was not an Accert engine which I understand were problematic. I understand that the first Heui pump gave some problems. I get my information from a Cat mechanic. My water temperature never goes beyond the normal mark no matter whether I am cruising or climbing a mountain. Over all I think the C7 has a very good reputation in motor homes.:)

RCDave
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven our c-7 powered coach up the Grapevine, over Onyx Summit, the Bshop grades/Mammoth, and up to Shaver Lake pulling the toad. All in summer heat conditions. The temp's have never exceeded 200. But perhaps our coach is smaller/lighter? It's an 06 Phaeton 35dh (just shy of 36'). Rear radiator design

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Scott,

I agree, I personally would not continue without addressing the overheating at 230 degrees F. Will it do permanent damage-- probably not, but certainly is not as good as running with it lower.

Things you can do before facing that situation:
1. As you did, clean the CAC/radiator-- mostly from the front where the dirt is deposited. Needs to be done at least once a year on a rear radiator chassis.

2. If the crankcase breather has not been extended to behind the fan shroud, do so immediately-- cost under $10. If anyone needs information, let us know. If your chassis maker did not extend it, you WILL have lots of oily dirt deposited on the front of the CAC blocking air flow through the CAC and radiator.

3. If your engine has a separate belt for the water pump (as do the Caterpillar 3116, 3126 and C7) make sure it is properly tensioned-- it does NOT have an automatic tensioner.

4. Make sure your coolant is "current"-- i.e. changed per the coolant manufacturer's recommendation, pressure cap is good, thermostat(s) are good, etc.

4. When really hot daytime temperatures are forecast, we change our schedule and drive in pre-dawn and morning. Particularly if heading east where the windshield will get all that solar heating.

Once on the road and experiencing overheating:

1. Turn off dash A/C. At a minimum, that is a 5 HP load on the engine. And, if the condenser is in the cooling package's air flow there is an additional heat load. Use roof A/C for cooling.

2. Gear down, running the engine at higher RPM's/lighter throttle. Climbing a grade at a certain speed takes XX HP. If in a lower gear/higher RPM/lighter throttle, the heat load produced by the engine is roughly the same, but the fan is turning faster, the water pump is turning faster, so more BTU's can be dissipated. For the 3126 or C7, that means around 2000 RPM.

3. Before overheating becomes excessive, pull over and run the engine at high idle until is cools back down.

4. If you are overheating and there is no place to pull over, turn on the dash heater with fan on HIGH. Yes, you will be uncomfortable for a few minutes, but the pain will be less than doing major engine damage. The heater is nothing more or less than an additional "radiator".

Brett

Brett,
Roger all that Sir. I have done EXACTLY everything you've listed there. That includes leaving our home in the San Diego area and heading for the Bishop CA area (about a 350-400 mile run) at exactly midnight. Coolest temps, and NO TRAFFIC WHAT SO EVER! Now, again, mine has never hit the 230 mark and I wouldn't even let it come close before I'd head it off at the pass, so to speak.

Our C-7 runs great. I runs at 190 for 99.99% of the time. It will climb in temp, on the grades, if certain conditions prevail. But, it does not get out of hand. If others, who have the same exact coach, can climb the same exact grades and towing the same weighted toad, at the same exact outside temps, and have the same gearing, DON'T have any rise in engine temp, then I envy the heck out of them.

I watch my RPMs and keep them up for additional fan cooling and better gearing, the tires are up, and all precautions have been taken. About the only thing I've not done is pull the thermostat and replace it. The coolant is brand new. Thanks for your additional support here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,

I agree, I personally would not continue without addressing the overheating at 230 degrees F. Will it do permanent damage-- probably not, but certainly is not as good as running with it lower.

Things you can do before facing that situation:
1. As you did, clean the CAC/radiator-- mostly from the front where the dirt is deposited. Needs to be done at least once a year on a rear radiator chassis.

2. If the crankcase breather has not been extended to behind the fan shroud, do so immediately-- cost under $10. If anyone needs information, let us know. If your chassis maker did not extend it, you WILL have lots of oily dirt deposited on the front of the CAC blocking air flow through the CAC and radiator.

3. If your engine has a separate belt for the water pump (as do the Caterpillar 3116, 3126 and C7) make sure it is properly tensioned-- it does NOT have an automatic tensioner.

4. Make sure your coolant is "current"-- i.e. changed per the coolant manufacturer's recommendation, pressure cap is good, thermostat(s) are good, etc.

4. When really hot daytime temperatures are forecast, we change our schedule and drive in pre-dawn and morning. Particularly if heading east where the windshield will get all that solar heating.

Once on the road and experiencing overheating:

1. Turn off dash A/C. At a minimum, that is a 5 HP load on the engine. And, if the condenser is in the cooling package's air flow there is an additional heat load. Use roof A/C for cooling.

2. Gear down, running the engine at higher RPM's/lighter throttle. Climbing a grade at a certain speed takes XX HP. If in a lower gear/higher RPM/lighter throttle, the heat load produced by the engine is roughly the same, but the fan is turning faster, the water pump is turning faster, so more BTU's can be dissipated. For the 3126 or C7, that means around 2000 RPM.

3. Before overheating becomes excessive, pull over and run the engine at high idle until is cools back down.

4. If you are overheating and there is no place to pull over, turn on the dash heater with fan on HIGH. Yes, you will be uncomfortable for a few minutes, but the pain will be less than doing major engine damage. The heater is nothing more or less than an additional "radiator".

Brett
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RCDave
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Cat C-7 powered DP. Always runs between 186 to 195. Even up steep grades in high heat, its never run over 200 pulling a toad. Check that radiator and make sure the slobber tube is extended to the rear of the coach behind and below the radiator.

In 28K miles, haven't had any issue with the motor except an oil leak near the turbo line. Its been a great engine so far. I do run Optilube XPD diesel fuel additive to counter the lubricity lost due to ULSD. IT seems to work great. No injector issues.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
FIRE UP You need to talk to CAT. 212 is not hot. You should be running CAT long life antifreeze (Red) and you can run in temps in CA as high as 230 degrees I believe because you are running it under 15 lb pressure.

Passin Thru,
I surely appreciate your advice here. I am running the Red CAT anti-freeze. And, this coach normally, for about 99.9% of it's travels, hovers around 190. As stated, it will climb on grades and especially if the outside temp is hanging around 90-100 degrees. Our first adventure with this rig was a couple of years ago and we were heading towards Vegas on the Baker grade. The outside temp was right at 104. Right close to the Hallorin Summit off ramp, the alarm system alerted me of "High heat threshold". I glanced at my Medallion Info screen and if I recall, the temp of the coach was around 217-220, (again, I think) and that screen said "High heat threshold". So I pulled off the freeway at that off ramp and, let it idle for a few minutes with a bit higher RPMs. All was well within about 5-6 minutes and the temp of the engine was around 201.

Now, I'm not sure how many others run at higher temps in that same situation but, I've since removed the radiator and the CAC and thoroughly cleaned every square inch of both. But, 230 degrees, that seems seriously high to me.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP You need to talk to CAT. 212 is not hot. You should be running CAT long life antifreeze (Red) and you can run in temps in CA as high as 230 degrees I believe because you are running it under 15 lb pressure.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 350 Cat C7 and my coach was built in 2004. I do not have very many miles on the engine so I cannot give you any information about long term issues.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 3126-E and have had real good luck so far with this engine. Plenty of power for my coach.

I believe the block is the same from the 300 to the 350.

As far as changes between the 3126-E and the C-7 mostly are emission standards were heavier on the C-7 then the 3126-E.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Many MH's used a 300 HP of the C7. I don't think the Acert system came into play until around 07. The HEUI fuel pump is problematic.

Moisheh

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
n4hwl wrote:
I know there are a lot of motorhomes out there with the cat 7.2 liter. I have had a few problems with mine. I have lost 2 injectors and had a wiring harness for the injectors inside the valve cover dropped down and shorted out on the rocker arms. That was expensive. I also recently had an oil leak around the plate that holds the oil filter where it attaches to the block. This has happened over about a 4 year period and about 30k miles. What kind of luck are others having with their cat c7 engines?

Ken

n4hwl,
Knocking on my head here (wood), we've had pretty darn good service out our '07 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7. It's ran down the road with great dependability. The only time it's had any issues is, when I'm on a long grade and, it's warm outside. The temp will climb to anywhere from 205-212, plus or minus. And yes, I've done all the radiator/CAC cleaning etc. way more thoroughly than most. But, that engine sure seems to work great.

I've changed the oil each time myself and the fuel filters too. While I had the radiator and CAC out for maintenance and replacement, I replaced as many of the front bearings (serpentine tensioner and idler) (could not get the fan bearing off to replace it, grrrrr). Anyway, I think it's a good engine. Of all of the C-7s made, and, especially the ones in Motor homes, (no other service) I don't know how many have had any issues. You read of some issues that some on this forum have had but, not everyone who drives a motor home, especially one with a C-7, resides on this or other forums. So I don't know the ratio of the ones with say, serious issues, like the HEUI pump failure, is to the ones with no issues what so ever, in the time frame of ownership and long distance mileage.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
3126E 330 hp 860lb torque in my 03. Torque is the key.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800