cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the oil in the differential?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
2001 gassser, Ford, 54000 miles. Recently my mechanic suggested changing the oil in the rear/pumpkin/differential. Said there could be rust in there...and it would be a good PM. (anyway).

I've NEVER done this to any motor vehicle I've ever had...even those pickups with 150,000+ miles on them.

Opinions?
15 REPLIES 15

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first things I do with a a vehicle is switch all the oil to synthetic, good for a couple of MPG in cold weather, and replace trans and differential at 100,000 miles.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
From the 2001 Ford F53 chassis manual:

"Your vehicle's rear axle is filled with a synthetic rear axle lubricant and is considered lubricated for life. These lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the axle assembly has been submerged in water. The axle lubricant should be changed any time the rear axle has been submerged in water."

I think I'd leave it alone.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "life" of the vehicles criteria is changing almost at the speed of phone androids changes.
Back in 1995 Mercedes manufactured car transmissions "sealed for life".
I guess at the time they did not expect those cars to run for 400,000 miles or million miles with diesel engines.
I had couple of those and changed ATF at 200,000 miles.
Now differentials don't have clutches to wear, they catch steel dust with magnets and unless you drive in deep water - they have no condensation in them.
When on most of the vehicles it is relatively cheap service, I had couple of vehicles with 260,000 miles and did not worry about differential service.
Did change the oil on my 2000 F250 at 305,000 miles, but that truck was used for heavy hauling. YMMV
Pull the control plug, check oil level, clean the magnet, stick white towel in oil to check the color and if nothing looks bad, plug it back and enjoy the drive.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did my 06 F53 this past winter at 50,000 miles. Easy driveway job. Some rear axle bearings are lubricated via the differential plus it is not a sealed system so changing the oil is a good preventative measure.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your like me and don't like climbing that far under rig - any quick change oil outfit can change the diff fluid - doesn't cost much.
Kevin

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me the main reason to change it is not because the fluid wears out or breaks down it is to inspect it to see what the wear looks like inside and to remove any metal particles that would increase the wear on the gears. There are folks that have never changed the fluid in the rear end or transmission for that matter with no problems and there are good mechanics that will disassemble the differential and check the gear pattern and see how it is wearing, solvent clean the inside of the box and reassemble. You should at least check the level and once the plug is removed it is not hard to pump out the old fluid and refill. Look for metal in the old oil.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my coach last year with no service records I changed the rear diff. Cheap insurance and personally I don't think many ever change it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the 2001 Ford F53 chassis manual:

"Your vehicle's rear axle is filled with a synthetic rear axle lubricant and is considered lubricated for life. These lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the axle assembly has been submerged in water. The axle lubricant should be changed any time the rear axle has been submerged in water."
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I really do not think there is any way for there to be rust inside the rear axle, unless you submerged it while fording a stream. Even if the axle and driveshaft where at the water level, the vent tube should be 12" higher, before it will take in water.

Still you should be changing the rear axle fluid every 25,000 miles on heavy duty vehicles, including a large truck. With synthetic fluid, you will not need to change it but every 50,000 miles or 10- 14 years.

Sure they will recommend a rear axle fluid change and new air filters every chance they can. They might tell you it will take 1 - 1.5 shop hours to remove the cover, drain the fluid, put back on a new gasket, and put everything back together, then add a couple of gallons of fluid.

Here is what I did to my F-350. I removed the drain plug. I bought a drill powered pump from Harbor Freight for $15. I bought a washing machine hose, with fittings on both ends, and cut it so one end was about 24" long the other went into a bucket. I pushed the short end into the fill hole, and ran the pump until no more fluid came out. This gets out most of it, say 85%. The fluid goes into both axle shafts, and will lube the bearings at the ends of the axle. The fluid in the tube helps to disperse all the heat generated while driving.

The axle can get to 250F when climbing a mountain, and if you happen to be putting a lot of HP to the tires, then go through a stream, the 200F air inside will shrink to 70F when it gets submerged in water, thus will take in a gulp of (hopefully) air. If it takes in water, it can change the oil to a white gunk, that will not lubricate the rear axle at all!

So for those reading this, if you ever get into water more than 24" deep, change the axle fluid within 100 miles or 1 week.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I think my manual calls for the diff. fluid and transfer case fluid to be changed every 50,000. Whatever it is that's what I have done. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who never do it. There's probably lots who never change the engine oil when their supposed to either.
Coolant is also supposed to be changed every couple of years. I think it becomes acidic after a while.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
With a vehicle that age I would also change all belts/hoses/fluids period. You eliminate or reduce anyway many future problems. Tire check age/condition.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
15 years old time to change it.
Replace with synthetic and will be the last time you will need it done.
Unless you keep it for another 15 + years.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, change it as when it gets foamy it does not do the job it should!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure there are a lot of vehicles on the road that have never had the oil changed in the differential. But, that doesn't mean you should never change it.
It's good Preventative Maintenance.
And, it's not difficult or expensive so, I doubt your mechanic is doing it to get more money from you.
Did you check the owners manual? That should have the schedule for changing fluids.