Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing taillights out to LED's

Tara361
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am thinking of changing out my stock taillight bulbs to LED's. This is on a 2001 Flair. I have changed out the headlights (not to LED.) and had to change the wiring and new relays. The taillight bulbs are 1157"s . Sounds like a good idea but I thought I would get some second opinions before doing so. Also, are they in fact brighter than the stock 1157's ??
thanks Bob
Catty and Bob
2001 Flair 25F
Proud to be an American
28 REPLIES 28

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpy is my buddy go easy.. Changing out stop, running lites should be no issue. Left/right turn signals do require sufficient voltage drop to operate the blinker thingey. Leds sometime do not do it

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
I don't see a need to "save" electricity or be "brighter" with LED stop/tail lights.

But, that was not the question or the goal. For me, longevity would be enough reason alone. I can see why no one would want or need brighter tail lights! :R
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see a need to "save" electricity or be "brighter" with LED stop/tail lights.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Tara361,

Do as Mike did, change the whole lens. They are from Bargman. The LED replacement bulbs won't give any better light. I changed the whole lens assembles on my 95 F53 chassis and had to add a small resistor to both sides, for the stop lights. The computer saw a small induced voltage on the stop light wires and the cruse control and torque converter would work, or not work, randomly. I had room behind the tail light assemblies to add a couple of 921 bulbs for resistance.
I can tell you the lights are now much brighter and there is no excuse for not seeing my turn signals.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Tara361 wrote:
Hello
I am thinking of changing out my stock taillight bulbs to LED's. This is on a 2001 Flair. I have changed out the headlights (not to LED.) and had to change the wiring and new relays. The taillight bulbs are 1157"s . Sounds like a good idea but I thought I would get some second opinions before doing so. Also, are they in fact brighter than the stock 1157's ??
thanks Bob
When you get the LEDs, get them in the color of your tail light lens (red I assume for the rear, yellow for the front) instead of white. You might need to add a load resistor depending upon the type of blinker you have, I did no need one on my 1999 MH but YMMV. You can get some very bright LEDs. Look at the lumens value. More is better IMHO.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51, I replaced mine with the same LED panels as Mike Brez. I found them on Amazon. Get the DOT number from your existing lights and google it. If there are complete LED replacement panels, a Google search of the DOT number will find them.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

EmergencyNrse
Explorer
Explorer

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
LEDs do actually use WAY less power off the system. So there is at least a small benefit. 🙂 They also tend to last a very long time.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Tara361 wrote:
Hello Sounds like a good idea but I thought I would get some second opinions before doing so. Also, are they in fact brighter than the stock 1157's ??
thanks Bob

I had to replace my tail lights after an RV shop installed my electric brake system wrong and the lights stayed on for days melting the lenses.
LED's are brighter, easy to install, and I think they look better.
You can find all kinds of them online. Good luck and I think you will be happy with LED.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
After 20 years a couple of mine had small cracks and they looked like they had a haze on them. I changed them out to led.

Before

After

Where did you get them? I want to switch the lights out on my Class C. One of the lenses and bulb got broke in our storage lot when someone backed into my RV.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
why bother?
bumpy

Who cares and none of your business. This forum is here to help folks with whatever they choose. I am sure you have underwear that you have replaced that still worked pretty well but not as well as they used to. But I have to ask, why bother?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
why bother?
bumpy

Because I can and I wanted too.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
After 20 years a couple of mine had small cracks and they looked like they had a haze on them. I changed them out to led.

Before

After
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why bother?
bumpy