cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing your own oil - is it worth it?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have owned a MH I have a local dealership do the oil changes. On the Ford v-10 I have them do full synthetic and I get it done @7500 miles. The price is reasonable I think but I do have to drive it in, drive it home etc which can be a bit of a hassle. I have always done the gen set myself since it only takes 1.5 qts. I was wondering, by the time I buy the oil, filter, crawl under and over the engine to change it then figure out some way to dispose of the old oil, is it worth it? I think by the time I buy materials and my own labor I am not certain it’s even worth trying to save what would be about $20-30.00. I am not ill equipped but I am not a shop with a lift either. I don’t do my own truck either. Already figured out that the price I get to get that done with a free rotation in 15 minutes is way more cost effective to have them do it. I do however do my own tractor, simply because the hassle of dragging it somewhere would cost more. Anyway, what’s your thought on doing your own MH?
2013 ACE 29.2
75 REPLIES 75

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I do my own and getting a valve that you hook up to a hose makes changing your oil a snap.I get my Ford oil and filter for around 30 dollars .I have a smaller pan that I set up on the I beam for the oil filter then turn on the valve and the oil goes through the clear house into my big pan that is enclosed . When done take the small pan down from the I beam with the filter in it and drain it into the bigger pan .It takes me 20 min to do this then a trip to Auto Zone to get ride of the old oil.I think the name of the valve is futon valve. You get ride of the drain plug and install the valve that has a lever to turn it on and off. It makes a messy job a lot better.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It's a dirty, messy job I wouldn't even consider, although many do not just for saving a bit of money, but insuring the job is done right.

What he said. Except I know I could do it right, but I don't like the mess. I don't even change my own oil in my cars at four or five quarts. The DP takes over 5 gallons. Just not worth the mess.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
It is worth in my case. Being full time and changing the oil on Fords severe duty sched.
(f53 v10) 3k miles. I have 127k on the rig and have done all the changes myself. Thats a big savings about 42 oil changes. But I like the convenience of it is doing it my self . As far as getting rid of the old oil its easy.I buy it from Wally world and take the used oil back.Also they have Fords Motorcraft oil and filters.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
I was doing my own oil grease and filter on my coach. But, I checked with the place that does my cars and they did the coach and the gen, oil and filter for $50.00. Why should I do it myself
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a mechanic most of my life and I almost never change the oil in our car or excursion. The shop a few mile from home does it for not much more then I would pay for the stuff. I can watch and look under it when it's on the lift and it makes me a regular. I can borrow special tools from them when I do all my own repairs. The coffee is free. When we were away once, one of our kids called and wanted me to fix her car and didn't know we were away. I sent here there and they fixed her up and said "your dad is a regular customer so don't worry about it" that is worth something.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We are talking about an RV dealership right? I like the guys, trust them and have a good relationship where I go. Been taking all my RV's there for a few years and never a problem as a result of maintenance. I can count several times on here where someone mentions a stripped drain plug or just not doing it right. It's never happened to me on an RV or any other vehicle I own or have owned and I can't remember the last time I changed my own oil in a daily driver. Am I lucky or is this a bit of doom and gloom self justification for changing it yourself? granted there are slam bam, here's your hat what's your hurry places and I don't go there. Changing the oil is not rocket science. I only pose the question because the margin between me doing with litte time, a gravel drive and quite frankly no real desire to do so, to save $20, seems logical to take it where I've had good luck and great service. I get under the MH from time to time, check things out etc.
2013 ACE 29.2

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want something you KNOW is done right, do it yourself! 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Cost at the dealership may be near what it costs for materials right up to the point of when they strip the threads on your drain plug, put the wrong oil or booger the oil filter changing it. I will do my own thanks.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I don't like to drive the MH or car to a Jiffy lube and wait for an oil change. I buy 10 Qts of WM synthetic and filter for under $40. Chg oil in MH 7 qts , Genset 2 qts, and tow car 4 qts with same oil. I have found several things wrong and was able to fix things my self while under the vehicles. I also grease, check brakes and wheel bearings at the same time. I look at the old oil for metal particles, debris, water, carbon deposits etc. As far as the old oil any WM, auto store or town dump lets you recycle the oil. So for me it is convenience, cost, checking other things and knowing the job is done right is my reasons for doing it my self.

That's pretty cool you can stretch 10 qts out to 13. No wonder you save money.
2013 ACE 29.2

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Well gang,
As with many topics, you see the ones that agree with the subject and some don't. I've changed my own oil for decades, in all my cars, trucks, boats, motorhomes, motorcycles etc. As for the reason(s), it's both a matter of time savings, cost and, of course, making sure the job is done correctly. As for getting rid of the old oil, I don't know why some folks have such a hard time with that. Many, many auto parts places will accept old engine oil.

Sometimes their receiving bin is too full so, I may have to wait a day or so but, that's no big deal. On this present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, it's a 19 quart change. I've got a 7 gallon plastic drain pan specifically for that.

I push a button and the coach climbs to the height I need for cruising around under it with a creeper. Then, I maneuver the drain pan into position and, loosen and remove the drain plug. I've got "Razor" black mechanics rubber gloves on so, getting it on me, is non-existent. I get the filters on sale, and, also the oil, Delo 400 15-40. The whole job takes about an hour which, includes running the old oil to our local Auto Zone auto parts place for disposal. And, I get to inspect any and all under that beast to make sure things are what and where, they're supposed to be.

The money I save, goes into the DIESEL tank for our trips.
Scott

Anyone reading this after you push a button so you can cruise under it on a creeper I would highly recommend jack stands just in case the coach decides to come down squishing you to death.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't like to drive the MH or car to a Jiffy lube and wait for an oil change. I buy 10 Qts of WM synthetic and filter for under $40. Chg oil in MH 7 qts , Genset 2 qts, and tow car 4 qts with same oil. I have found several things wrong and was able to fix things my self while under the vehicles. I also grease, check brakes and wheel bearings at the same time. I look at the old oil for metal particles, debris, water, carbon deposits etc. As far as the old oil any WM, auto store or town dump lets you recycle the oil. So for me it is convenience, cost, checking other things and knowing the job is done right is my reasons for doing it my self.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well gang,
As with many topics, you see the ones that agree with the subject and some don't. I've changed my own oil for decades, in all my cars, trucks, boats, motorhomes, motorcycles etc. As for the reason(s), it's both a matter of time savings, cost and, of course, making sure the job is done correctly. As for getting rid of the old oil, I don't know why some folks have such a hard time with that. Many, many auto parts places will accept old engine oil.

Sometimes their receiving bin is too full so, I may have to wait a day or so but, that's no big deal. On this present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, it's a 19 quart change. I've got a 7 gallon plastic drain pan specifically for that.

I push a button and the coach climbs to the height I need for cruising around under it with a creeper. Then, I maneuver the drain pan into position and, loosen and remove the drain plug. I've got "Razor" black mechanics rubber gloves on so, getting it on me, is non-existent. I get the filters on sale, and, also the oil, Delo 400 15-40. The whole job takes about an hour which, includes running the old oil to our local Auto Zone auto parts place for disposal. And, I get to inspect any and all under that beast to make sure things are what and where, they're supposed to be.

The money I save, goes into the DIESEL tank for our trips.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always changed my own oils and I do the lube job. The lube job hasn't cost me a dime in a long time because I have plenty of grease. The engine and generator together cost me less than $80.00 bucks for dino oil. I also have a little oil left over to top things off, which I have yet to have ever needed. I also do my fuel filter every other year since its cheap and too small for a 454 IMO. I like to crawl around under there under the pretense that if there's a problem I might catch it before we're 5 hours from home.

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
I change the oil in our v10. It is too easy and when I get the oil on sale it is under $40.00. No need for a lift since the MH is high enough get under I also installed a quick valve which I simply sitch over to empty the oil. No driving, waiting or overpaying.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed the oil in all of my vehicles since I started driving. Ya it does save money but I also look around to see whats going on down under. i have caught oil leaks radiator leaks,bad tie rods wires hanging down. I will continue til I can't do it any more.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.