cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Batteries

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering about chassis battery replacement. We monitor our house batteries very closely but it just occurred to me that we haven't replaced our chassis batteries since March 2011. Not having any problems with them at all, but thinking about replacing them before leaving Florida in the spring. How often do you replace your chassis batteries? We are the original owners of our 2007 coach.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
15 REPLIES 15

Bruce_Brown
I replaced ours after 9 years. Even then I put them in one of my farm tractors, where I used them for 2 more years.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This goes big time for a MOTOR HOME.. Since you are monitoring your HOUSE batteries do not worry so much about a chassis battery failure.. WHY.. Well you know that button on the dash marked BOOST or EMER Start? Here is what it does

IF the chassis battery is LOW it will connect both battery banks together to act as a JUMP START.. hold it for like 30 seconds. back off for 30. then hold and at about 10-20 seconds crank 'er up. That's all

Instant jump start built in (Note works the other way for starting the generator in some cases too).

I went with DEKA as my new battery US Made (East Penn battery company only 100% us made battery company) and my original "Workhorse" branded (The chassis builder) lasted almost 9 years (like 8 3/4)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies. I just don't want to get us into a situation where we harm the alternator by trying to get more life out of the chassis batteries. We have two Interstate PF31S chassis batteries purchased from Sams Club in March 2011.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
I have two AMG batterys, the last set lasted 10 years.
I never let them get below 80% charge.
Works for me.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Mine were new in May 2009 and worked well when I put her to sleep for the winter. Coach is plugged in to power year around with the BIRD keeping the house and coach batteries topped off. I expect it will start up just fine in April or May when I can get it out of the barn. If it wont, I will boost it from the house bank and then replace. The house batteries lasted me eight years so I expect in the next few years I will be replacing the chassis batteries. I will not replace until they fail as I can't be left stranded if the house bank is available. I also carry jumper cables so I can use the toad to charge either bank as needed to get something running.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's asking about the chassis battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We notice when the batteries will deplete in a shorter time with our normal usage. Normally we can go 4-5 days on batteries and tanks, then we must hook up and dump and charge. when that drops to 2 days we replace batteries.
We bought the coach in 09, and replaced the batteries, we have done it again in 2014, and are almost ready to do it again. Last trip we went 3 days before we were required to start the gen-set.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you wish to keep it, carry a spare.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you can 'boost' from the house batteries, I'd wait for the chassis batteries to fail, before replacing them. If you are noticing slow cranking or some other issue--then replace.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I’m a boondocker I replace the starting battery every three years. I don’t want a starting issue way out there.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 f150 went 12yr then died in a parking lot. I,d change them before the trip.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Anything over 5 years and you are doing well !

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
8 years? You got a good one. Have it load tested, but personqlly I would replace it rather than get stranded.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
About every 5 years. Seems to be the max life we can squeeze out of a pair of 12V deep cycles.
2010 Suncruiser