cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassis build versus motorhome build

Mawgan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I bought an advertised 1998 Georgie Boy in California and brought it back to New York. I took the paperwork to the DMV and they noticed the title says 1997 and the vehicle transfer document said 1998. They would not register the vehicle until both documents stated the same year. I checked on car fax and indeed the chassis is 1997. This dealer says this is normal. The chassis is built and then a year later the motorhome is built on the chassis. This begs the question. Did I buy a 1997 or a 1998 motorhome? Also is this normal? Secondly how do I get past the issue of the conflicting dates on the paperwork? Any members faced this before?
28 REPLIES 28

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
It is sort of a common sense issue.

You do realize you're using the term 'common sense' while talking about the DMV? :B

I ran into the same deal. My Freight liner chassis was built in Dec and the house built the next year----its registered a year older than it is.....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my bounder was similar. the insurance agent tried to insure it as the vin number, I insisted on the motorhome year. only after I threatened to go elsewhere for all of my insurance was he able to put down a 94 motorhome on a 93 chassis.
bumpy

path1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2009-08%20Q%20&%20A's%20on%20Split%20Model%20Year...
Your hardest part will be finding someone that actually knows their job. Print this out and give it to them.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mawgan wrote:
On the registration should I show it's a 1998 motorhome or should I say it's a 1997? The former got me into trouble because it does not match the title.

You want it to say 98 because that is what it is. The main reason for wanting the 98 over the 97 is resale value, but on a 17 year old motorhome it likely wouldn't make much difference anyway.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is sort of a common sense issue. RV's are not built like automobiles where the entire vehicle is built at one time.
Chassis manufacturers, like Prevost, Workhorse, Roadmaster, etc, build hundreds of bare chassis and sell them to the various RV manufacturers. They may sit in the RV yard for a long time before someone orders a specific coach. Once the order comes in for a new coach, the house is built on the chassis and the coach is titled at that time. Prior to putting a house on the chassis, most chassis could not be registered as roadworthy since they have no lights, seats, etc.

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
we had this problem with both our former class c and now our windsong class a as well. it irks me that you think you are getting one year and sold another but apparently more common than i realized. at least i know we aren't the only one out there who is not sure how to answer the question, "what year is it?"
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, you'll have to escalate through the chain of command at the DMV with this one. It's perfectly normal for the chassis to be older than the MH - they take a while to build and often cross model years.

I have some experience selling reconstructed vehicles and after a couple of NY transactions I would simply not do business there anymore. I get that they're trying to avoid fraud and/or laundering of stolen vehicles but they've gotten to the point where they're punishing people with legitimate transactions. How are you supposed to got back to 1997-1998 and clean up the paperwork (which is legitimate and correct to begin with)? I hate reading stuff like this.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Mawgan
Explorer
Explorer
On the registration should I show it's a 1998 motorhome or should I say it's a 1997? The former got me into trouble because it does not match the title.

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
This is very common for a manufacturer who buys the chassis and then builds a house on the chassis--they buy the chassis in bulk. If you can't make the clerk understand this, go to his and as far up the chain as you need. The year of your vehicle should be the year it was completed as a vehicle.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I had to educate the FL DMV about this very same issue. I have a 2004 and had it registered as such in AZ. Here in FL they tried to register it as a 2003 because of the chassis VIN came up as such.
It was a quick call to the manufacturer (Thor) to get a "Certificate of Origin" which informed DMV what they should have already known.
It's easy to get that cert if the manufacturer is still in business, but so many are not and that makes the problem much more difficult to sort.

MrWizard
It's a 1998 motor home
The Calif title and registration, with the vin# , should be all that is required
The dmv clerk does not know their job as well as they should
Use another dmv office our try to speak with the supervisor
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mawgan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Unfortunately, it's a time costly problem. I waited two hours for this advice and now I'm caught between the rock and the hard place because they will not register.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is normal for the chassis to be one year older and it is what happens when you run in to someone at the DMV that does not know their job.