cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet Based Class C? Other than they are hard to find. They are easier to find now

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

UPDATE is on page 16 :B

*NEWEST UPDATE* Is on page 20
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
221 REPLIES 221

adamroof
Explorer
Explorer
Just thot I would add in that the Chevy has been awesome for me. Sunseeker 2250 on the Chevy 4500 chassis. Leg room was the key for 6'4 and rounder in the middle than most. Plus its a rear slide so there is driver side room to lean back toward dinette instead of the slideout wall.

Registered 12mpg couple weeks ago, I feel that I can get better on longer trips. The power feels great.

wildkats66
Explorer
Explorer
Also forgot to mention that the Chevy 4500 chassis was $2K lower in price than the Ford chassis. That helps alot for anyone purchasing a motorhome.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wildkats66
Congraulations on your new rig,it looks like a really nice one.

Also welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here,there is a lot of good information and helpful hints here on the NET.

When you get home with your new RV and had some time with it.

It would be nice to hear what you think of it and how you like or dislike any of the features of an RV on the Chevy 4500 chassis,Like fuel mileage and the ride and confort or any other things that come to mind.

I am glad that this thread has helped you in your decision on the choice of an RV. That is what all of this is all about,to share information,fact or folly and the freedom to chose what you think is the best for you.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

Hope to hear more.
Buying A Rental Class C

wildkats66
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info about the Chevy and Ford RV chassis. We did a bunch of research also and ordered a Sunseeker 2860DS with the 4500 chassis. It is ready for pickup at RVDirect in Des Moines. Hope to get there by the New Year. Got to plan around the Holidays since we are in Colorado. Will let you know what we think of it.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here it is. $27.73 plus shipping

Headlights

What is odd now, is that it says that it wont fit my vehicle,but it does.

If you check the more expensive one in the replacement headlight assy.box

they all have the same oem # interchange # parts link# and GM #343 and they say they fit but are more expensive.??

I bought the ones in the clickey and they fit just fine.
They all come from Eagle Eye Lights and Headlight Depot.
Mine were shipped from Auto Care depot
Buying A Rental Class C

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

I have the link for them if any one is interested I will post it.

Intresting.. Please post link..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried all of the tricks to clean up my headlight lens's on my 2005 Chevy Class C. Includeing all of the hints and suggestions given here,Buffing compounds,Toothpaste,and the ones sold at the Chain Auto Stores. To no avail, they still were dull and scrached.

This was a commercial unit and as such was washed a lot in those automatic truck type washes with the big spinning brushes,as a result the lenses were scratched and dull.

So I went looking for a replacement and I found a killer deal on Amazon. Just about $70 for the pair,what a deal,that is less than the local detail shop quoted me to "Make them look like new"

This is what they looked like before,even after all of my work, scrached and dull,even the insides were discolored.

This is what they look like now. It makes the whole rig look like new.

The install was easy,just 2 bolts and 2 plugs on each one. It took all of 10 minutes each and they came with the bulbs that are better than the originals.

I have to give it to the Chevy engineers again. They made this an easy to do change out.Unlike my old E250 that I had to take out most of the grill to get to the headlight assembly.

I have the link for them if any one is interested I will post it.
Edited to replace pictures
Buying A Rental Class C

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
Recently got a report from my brother who has a 4500 with a Duramax. Now, when I say he has one, I really mean that he drives it five days a week 8 hours a day. It has a handicap DART bus built on to it.

It replaced an old Ford E350 or E450 with a diesel. No indication on it if 350 or 450.

Anyway, he said the new unit is SUPER. He loves it. He said the Duramax HP was downrated because it doesn't have an Allison transmission.

Pity the GVWR is only 14,200 lbs. I would advise GM to put out a unit with a GVWR of about 18,000 lbs and GCWR of 26,000 lbs. (will need an Allison 1000) and they might get a nice surprise at the sales volume for Class C motorhomes (provided the price isn't sky high). My brother is going to keep me posted on fuel consumption but initial indications the first week were that it looks pretty good.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Grammy 46 wrote:
We purchased a 2005 gulfstream class c on a chevy chassis, need advice. Our generator runs but no power to the motorhome, checked circuit breakers all seem ok. Any advice? Help!

Since this question has nothing do with the chevrolet part of the RV, probably one of the tech boards is a better place to put this question. More people may see it.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the circuit breaker on the generator???? Also many have a plugin in the electric cord area that must be pluged into. Some have a switch in that area..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Grammy_46
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2005 gulfstream class c on a chevy chassis, need advice. Our generator runs but no power to the motorhome, checked circuit breakers all seem ok. Any advice? Help!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the subject of shock absorbers. On replaceing mine with Bilsteins,
I have to thank the engineers at Chevy on makeing it so much easier than on the Fords. On the front it was very easy.Just push the rubber inner fender aside and there was easy access to the top of the shock,then to the bottom and 2 bolts and they were out. I didn't even have to remove the front wheels. I had them all replaced in less than 2 hours.Front and rear.

On my daily driver,which was a E250 Econoline. When I changed the shocks it was an all day task. The drivers side was almost impossable to get to, I spent almost allday on the chore.(of course there was a lot of breaks to reassess my decision and bang things and have a beer) What a PITA.
I now see why most people take them to a shop and pay someone else to do it.
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did have to install better shocks (Rancho 9000's) to stop the extra bouncy-bounce from the air bags.

Good choice on those Rancho 9000s for your PU! I'm on the 2nd set for our 4X4 PU. The 1st set finally failed on my PU after 12+ years and I called Rancho. They sent me a brand new set of four at no cost and free shipping - they have a lifetime warranty.

HOWEVER ... Rancho does not offer them for the Ford E450 cutaway vans under so many Class C motorhomes. I've emailed them a couple of times to stress the opportinity they're missing by not addressing this market.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
JTCHess wrote:
My Chevy C is level without air in the bags so admittedly the back of my C raises an inch or two when I put 40+ pounds of air in them, however taking the jarring our of the ride means less wear and tear on the unit. I suspect this would be the same for the Fords as well.

Yep, same here, tho' on a 4x4 Silverado p/u chassis. What I noticed is that there's more daylight showing thru at the ends of the short but thick lower leaf with air in the bags.... 15-25 psi for me. It took a lot of the impact out of rear axle bumps. I did have to install better shocks (Rancho 9000's) to stop the extra bouncy-bounce from the air bags.

Jim, "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Finally Fulltiming wrote:
Sounds like you've explored the topic & already decided - so buy the Chevy.

HE DID!