cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet Based Class C? Other than they are hard to find. They are easier to find now

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

UPDATE is on page 16 :B

*NEWEST UPDATE* Is on page 20
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
221 REPLIES 221

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RvBill3 wrote:
The Chevy is 6 inches longer than the Ford of the same model. That 6 inches is leg room in the cab. We tried each and went with the Chevy.
The Chevy is actually 9" longer. I think the front bumber sticks out forward the remaining 3".

The 9" difference means nothing to all but us who have a garage where the inches matter.

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
The Chevy is 6 inches longer than the Ford of the same model. That 6 inches is leg room in the cab. We tried each and went with the Chevy.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure Fords aren't a "problem" at 6'4, but sit in a Chevy and you'll feel the freedom and space. My knees aren't trapped. I can enjoy long drives.

Going from memory of past forum discussions and by looking at their front ends, I believe that the Chevy van has more nose sticking out than the Ford vans do ... hence Chevy is going to have a bit less of the engine doghouse portruding into the cab area.

The downside of this is that the overall length of a Chevy cutaway van based Class C - for any given coach size and interior design - will be longer than the overall length of an equivalent coach based on a Ford cutaway van.

In our case we wanted the shortest overall length motorhome I could find but still with the basic interior layout and comforts we wanted. Hence, the Ford one-and-a-half-ton cutaway van chassis perfectly suits us with respect to the coach built on it. FWIW I'm 6'2".
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
adamroof wrote:

Please realize this is MY opinion for MY situation from MY experience, its all about me, not anyone else! ๐Ÿ™‚

That applies to all posts here of course.

In my case I've been able to make a lot of cross product comparisons having owned (or some might say blown $$$ on F53, CAT C7 pusher, Cummins ISC pusher, Kodiak gasser and an E450. They all had their good points but some had more bad points than others.

Note I went up up down down - and next move, if there is one, will be down further.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

adamroof
Explorer
Explorer
ok, i accept your apology, however I saw this post as a Big & Tall post, so thats who I meant Ford neglected. Sure Fords aren't a "problem" at 6'4, but sit in a Chevy and you'll feel the freedom and space. My knees aren't trapped. I can enjoy long drives.

Please realize this is MY opinion for MY situation from MY experience, its all about me, not anyone else! ๐Ÿ™‚

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
adamroof wrote:
dleslie125 - And how tall are you? 6'4 or over? And your feet are 13 wides or bigger? Thanks for insulting me, of course I know theres a seat adjustment.

IAMICHABOD, thanks for the updated photos, that looks pretty awesome, even tho it will sit a bit lower than the dinette, that is going to be a great addition to seating as i dont have the solo recliner or other couch. Im giving them a call here in a bit. Do I just tell them the Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis and they will know, or should i grab some measurements?

I take it you didn't see the smiley?

5 ft 9 inches. One of my sons is 6 - 4 (but feet are only 12's) and he had no problem.

On windshield covers, our E450 is a 2011 and they insisted the windshield cover would fit and were in fact annoyed that I questioned them. Ha, the mirrors changed and they don't fit that well. You might think about joining the Kodiak forum since basically all discussion is related to things GM and the sources of accessories that the guys use will often have products for other GM lines. A lot of good suspension experience and expertise on it as well. Also a good mix of diesel and gasser owners.
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 โ€ข 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC โ€ข 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT โ€ข 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adamroof I sent you a PM that may help.
Buying A Rental Class C

HelloImDavid
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet based Class C? Other than they are hard to find.

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat difference in the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q 2006, I test drove about a half dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

My 2008 Coachmen Freedom Express Class C. 24' long RV has a Chevy 6.0 litre engine, 40,000 miles ... and when the RV is loaded up with cargo and gasoline, she weighs in at close to 9,000 lbs. Ive been very pleased with the responsiveness of the engine to accelerate, pass, stop, and it is very smooth and quiet in operation. Gets 11 mph on the highway going 60 mph regardless of wind conditions so long as i keep it out of passing gear on the trans. Im 6'4" / 275 lbs and have plenty of leg room with the seat moved all the way back. I dont start getting tired till after a good 5 hours of driving.

adamroof
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD - also, what windshield cover did you go with? Mines the 2012, so the adco and camcos dont list my year, and i tried one that kinda fit, but was so p**spoor quality that i returned it and trying a different one now... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RQ4ALY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A14JGSR8WSNT54

(i bring this up because Chevy windshield covers are almost NEVER in stock, not even Camping World, because Ford is the more prominent model, some things for the Chevy are hard to find)

adamroof
Explorer
Explorer
dleslie125 - And how tall are you? 6'4 or over? And your feet are 13 wides or bigger? Thanks for insulting me, of course I know theres a seat adjustment.

IAMICHABOD, thanks for the updated photos, that looks pretty awesome, even tho it will sit a bit lower than the dinette, that is going to be a great addition to seating as i dont have the solo recliner or other couch. Im giving them a call here in a bit. Do I just tell them the Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis and they will know, or should i grab some measurements?

dleslie125
Explorer
Explorer
adamroof wrote:
Yes snowdance, same 13's here, amazing that Ford neglected road trip comfort for the driver. Each Ford I sat in while looking was making me feel like not buying a motorhome. Then sat in the Chevy. Heaven and checkbook.

And as for IAMICHABOD and his swivel seat... OMG OMG OMG YESSS!!! That is exactly what i need to do! OMG OMG I cant wait to get that started, is it Friday yet? YES IT IS!!!!

The sure has not been our experience at all. You might try the seat adjustment mechanism and move it back if it was too far forward. ๐Ÿ™‚

We had a BIGGER Chev yet before (Kodiak) and we (DW and I) actually find we prefer the Ford cab. The footwell on the co-pilot side is narrower, but nothing like the Pontiac Safari was. DW says she has lots of room. Different strokes for different folks. OH, and ours came with swivel seats in the front.
Member Super C RV Group

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adamroof or anyone else I just posted some new pictures of the mod

Here

If you are interested on how the seat looks swiveled from the side.
Buying A Rental Class C

adamroof
Explorer
Explorer
Yes snowdance, same 13's here, amazing that Ford neglected road trip comfort for the driver. Each Ford I sat in while looking was making me feel like not buying a motorhome. Then sat in the Chevy. Heaven and checkbook.

And as for IAMICHABOD and his swivel seat... OMG OMG OMG YESSS!!! That is exactly what i need to do! OMG OMG I cant wait to get that started, is it Friday yet? YES IT IS!!!!

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I like about our Chevy is room to put both of my size 13 feet down on the drivers side floor at once. Could not do that in the tiny Ford floor space for the driver.. Also enjoy being able to streach out and on ours recline the seat back for comfort while driving.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice rig adamroof,small but nicely done.
You may want to try something that I did on mine to give it more room.

I installed a swivel seat in the passenger side and that really opened it up. See it here

Mine is small too, a Tioga 26Q with the rear Queen bed but this made it a lot more roomier.

When your a bit larger than most like me @ 6'6'' and 225 it is nice to have that extra legroom that a Chevy has and more room to stretch out where ever you can get it.
Buying A Rental Class C