cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

city water back flow valve leak

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has a steady drip from his city water inlet when his pump is engaged with water in the fresh tank. Pump recycles about every 15 minutes. No leaks when hooked to city water. Only when working off fresh water tank. The plastic back flow seems a bit rough when pushed in. Do these wear out? Can the check valve be replaced or does the entire inlet need to be replaced?
7 REPLIES 7

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08 HR came with a plastic plug on a tether for the water inlet connection. This plug was always in place when the hose was not hooked up. The plug assures that the back flow valve never leaks and also keeps dirt out of the water inlet when traveling or dry camping. Why would you not have the plug in place when not hooked up to city water?
Randy

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I use something like this.

I used the same thing except the brass ones after replacing a couple of the check valves. The check valves are still working, but now I have a way to shut the backflow off if needed and I'm not somewhere that replacing them is a timely solution.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I use something like this.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That would be a garden hose plug, not a pipe plug. Different threads.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a 3/4" PVC plug and screw it in city water connection....done

Those check valves are just a cheap plastic plunger with a ball point pen spring and an small o-ring. Junk----just like ones on water heaters.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Often what happens is someone tries to winterize this line once the system is already pumped up to pressure. Pushing on the tip inside the valve then releases pressurized water out the check valve, and the O-ring inside becomes unseated as it's meant to work in the other direction. When I replaced mine I just undid the screws and pulled it out, replaced the check valve with a new one. $10. or less.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure on Winnebago, but on many Fleetwood it takes a new hatch assembly.
I got a standard check valve for 1/2 pipe and installed it in compartment below my hatch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker