cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City Water Hook-Up

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
The 2001 Coachman is set up with a gravity water tank fill & pressurized city water hook up. All went well, got the system filled using the water tank & pump to circulate throughout. HOWever, just to be sure the system was full I went to the pressurized city water hookup an removed the screen to get to the valve. This was suggested somewhere to make sure the antifreeze would come out the valve. Then, you would know the system was full. BIG mistake ... 😞 as when I pressed the valve the RVA gushed out an would not shut off until I shut down the pump. I presume that I will have to remove the water hookup on this unit to fix. The Forums thoughts an suggestions on how to go about to repair this. I feel pretty sure that the system will make it through the coming cold IF I remember not to turn on the pump in the meantime. Thank you. KC
13 REPLIES 13

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
StarkNaked wrote:
I was silly enough to try this trick yesterday.... I'm guessing I'll be taking this all apart come spring when it's time to un-winterize.

Here's a link to a site with photos and instructions of how to (hopefully) fix the problem.city water check valve repair

So I did this repair today.... Sure enough, the o-ring was blown off of the stem. Getting it back on and into the check valve body was the easy part. Access to all of the hoses inside the back of a cabinet was a royal pain!

Lesson learned - never press on the check valve when the water system is pressurized!

Now I need to wait till I un-winterize to confirm that all my connections are leak free.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was silly enough to try this trick yesterday.... I'm guessing I'll be taking this all apart come spring when it's time to un-winterize.

Here's a link to a site with photos and instructions of how to (hopefully) fix the problem.city water check valve repair

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have been there, done that, too. I ended up replacing the whole thing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out I had to make changes in my profile Old-Biscuit to receive an hopefully send images. The picture you included is smaller than the unit installed on coachman. The one it has is close to 6.5" high by 7.5" long. Not that I understand how this works I may be able to figure out how to post. Thank you! KC

Explorer II
Explorer II
I read this and could not help but laugh.... At Myself!
I did the exact same thing 15 yrs ago. I was studying my Brand New TT and noticed something behind the screen. Popped off the screen, pressed it with my screwdriver and bang, got a face full of water. It never sealed again. Curiosity killed that cat.

I had to replace it as Old-Biscuit outlined above before I made my first payment. Don't beat yourself up on this one. At least you were directed to do it. I was just being stupid 😞
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

ronfisherman
My Endura had a similar problem. Hoses from filler were to long. Which caused hoses to pinch and collapse. After I cut hoses to correct length. I have had no problems filling tank with water.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does your inlet/fill assembly look like this?

The backside will look like this.....

Three hoses will be connected.
Large flex hose with clamp....tank gravity fill
Small PEX line with screw-in fitting....RV plumbing line
Smaller tube with clamp...tank vent line

City water assembly should be able to remove it by sliding plastic 'C' clip out, unscrew fitting and remove assembly'

Access will be by removing the 8 screws in outside frame.
Clean up butyl tape/caulking and reinstall with new butyl tape
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that a City/Gravity Fill Dish replacement unit is available that looks to be the same. ALSO I have not been able to locate any online instructions, as yet, showing how to remove the city water valve from the assembly, without removing the complete unit, in order to get a better representation of what the problem is. Looks like there are 8 screws to remove, but not sure if it will be that easy? Thanks for helping with the diagnoses of the problem and what caused it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
'EV2'and 'birene' (Howdy) nailed it..........that city water inlet check valve is a plastic plunger, spring and o-ring assembly.
Spring holds it closed until city water pressure pushes it open. But when forced open the o-ring typically gets pushed off of it's seat from pump pressure then check valve will not fully close and seal off.

Sometimes pushing plunger in and letting it try to reseat will work....I think I lucked out ONCE :B

Typically replacement is easier, less frustrating then trying to dis-assemble and fix it

Both of my city water connections and black tank flush connection (same check valve assemblies) have a 90* elbow with a garden hose shutoff valve attached.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
If you did unseat the o ring (which is probable) it's easier and less frustrating to just replace the whole thing. Simple fix. In the meantime you could cap it off. Don't beat yourself up; a few of these threads pop up every year around this time, or in the spring when the leak becomes more obvious.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you are lucky, as often the pressure displaces the small o-ring. If that happens, you must remove the city water connection and disassemble to reseat the o-ring. You can find instructions online, but it is somewhat difficult. Ask me how I know? Good luck.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Guy is exactly right. Simply center the valve. No harm no foul. However you did learn something. From now on. turn the pump off, and release a little pressure BEFORE pressing the city water valve in. I learned the same way you did. Now I just let a little pressure off, and the results are the same, just less exciting.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
in the city water inlet just past the screen there is a small valve controlled by a small spring. you moved that valve and it is wide open now. the way to fix it is to use a small screw driver and realign that valve back in line to shut off the water from coming back out. hope this helps