cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Axis/Vegas

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Thor Axis/Vegas? I am researching RV's and these look interesting. Comparing them to small Class C's.
36 REPLIES 36

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Capeteacher wrote:
So I sent in my rental agreement for June. I am excited to try out RVing. I am also researching and trying to decide how I will get around once I park the RV. I didn't want to tow another vehicle, I was thinking about a scooter on the hitch. Do any CGs, especially around tourist sites, have shuttle services to sites? Or has anyone ever used taxi service to get into towns or to sites? Thanks for all your help.

Yes all of the above and it depends on the park and the season. Many CG's have a shuttle, a bus, car rental facilities, I doubt you could tow anything on a rental RV (they won't let you) and the hitch on the axis may not support a scooter nor will the rental comapany let you do that either. If you did and they didn't know and something breaks, that would be costly. Pick your destination call the CG and see what they have. Worst case rent a car for a few days once you get there. Often they'll come pick you up. You really do not want to be setting up camp, then unhooking everything and driving the RV to places only to have to set up camp again.

My mistake. I don't intend to tow or hitch a scooter to the rental I was referring down the line if I really do buy the Axis. Are there any to look at that would list CGs that have services?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:
So I sent in my rental agreement for June. I am excited to try out RVing. I am also researching and trying to decide how I will get around once I park the RV. I didn't want to tow another vehicle, I was thinking about a scooter on the hitch. Do any CGs, especially around tourist sites, have shuttle services to sites? Or has anyone ever used taxi service to get into towns or to sites? Thanks for all your help.

Yes all of the above and it depends on the park and the season. Many CG's have a shuttle, a bus, car rental facilities, I doubt you could tow anything on a rental RV (they won't let you) and the hitch on the axis may not support a scooter nor will the rental comapany let you do that either. If you did and they didn't know and something breaks, that would be costly. Pick your destination call the CG and see what they have. Worst case rent a car for a few days once you get there. Often they'll come pick you up. You really do not want to be setting up camp, then unhooking everything and driving the RV to places only to have to set up camp again.
2013 ACE 29.2

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at pictures of the Axis. I don't see any doors up front, is that correct. The only door is on the side. And how does the windows open I don't see anything on the inside to open windows

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
VietVet1 wrote:
If you own an Axis/Vegas I highly suggest you open the engine compartment hood and if you can locate the most common of items to perform PM. Look for the oil dip stick, oil filler neck, trans dip stick, trans filler neck, engine air filter box and battery among other items. Locate them, touch them, remove and replace them. If your thinking of buying I strongly recommend you go to a dealer with one in stock and you do the same thing. After you accomplish my task respond back to my post and tell me what your impressions are.

So why are you only "hinting" at problems? Please just tell us your concerns regarding these motorhomes... Am I to assume that it's near impossible for one to get at common service items like oil and tranny dipsticks?....air filter etc?
I've also heard that it's very awkward to hook up to the black and grey tank drains on these as well?

jgallego
Explorer
Explorer
It gets expensive when towing a vehicle as those axles are added on to the charge.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 35 DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
2013 Honda CRV

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
jimrose wrote:
Posted By: Capeteacher on 03/09/14 05:13pm

Next question. How are tolls determined? I know the signs at tollbooths says by axle, so how are axles counted?

Because of the dual rear wheels you may be classified as a light truck and charged more.

No, it's by the axle not the tire.
2013 ACE 29.2

jimrose
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: Capeteacher on 03/09/14 05:13pm

Next question. How are tolls determined? I know the signs at tollbooths says by axle, so how are axles counted?

Because of the dual rear wheels you may be classified as a light truck and charged more.
Jim ๐Ÿ™‚
01 38' Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP Cummins 330 HP ISC
04 Ford Explorer MG Brake System Wireless Lights

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So what would be a good price for renting an Axis? I'm renting in June before prime season, picking up on Friday night, returning on Sunday. I get 200 miles.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:
I am renting an Axis from Scott Motor Coach in Lakewood, NJ

Sent you a PM
2013 ACE 29.2

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I am renting an Axis from Scott Motor Coach in Lakewood, NJ

VietVet1
Explorer
Explorer
To all Thor Axis/Vegas owners and those who wish to be owners. My personal experience thus far (bought one 03/04/2014) has not been a good one, setting aside my personal issues with Thor and Camping World which I am giving them full opportunity to resolve. I want to discuss and important process or lack of, that is:
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

Preventive Maintenance before, during, after a trip and while in extended storage should be a part of owning any vehicle, especially a MH. If you own an Axis/Vegas I highly suggest you open the engine compartment hood and if you can locate the most common of items to perform PM. Look for the oil dip stick, oil filler neck, trans dip stick, trans filler neck, engine air filter box and battery among other items. Locate them, touch them, remove and replace them. If your thinking of buying I strongly recommend you go to a dealer with one in stock and you do the same thing. After you accomplish my task respond back to my post and tell me what your impressions are.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:
I've decided to rent an Axis for a weekend in June. I will drive it back to Cape May and stay at a campground here. Then I can drive it around town and see how if it fits in my driveway. I am excited but also nervous do to previous posts. I hope you will share your issues with the Vegas so I can be aware of any problems. Thanks.

Where can you rent one?
2013 ACE 29.2

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to rent an Axis for a weekend in June. I will drive it back to Cape May and stay at a campground here. Then I can drive it around town and see how if it fits in my driveway. I am excited but also nervous do to previous posts. I hope you will share your issues with the Vegas so I can be aware of any problems. Thanks.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry you're not happy with your choice and hope it all works out for you. That being said, there should be nothing wrong with stating facts of issue(s) you are having. Someone might have some sound advise for you and your situation could help others in their search. I would think you could do so without bashing of either company. You also should reach out here to Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World. From all you can read, he has stepped in on several occasions to be sure his customers are satisfied and happy.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M