cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class a hydraulic levelers

Kski1225
Explorer
Explorer
Going to look at a class a to purchase----the owner says that it only has 3 hydraulic leveled---1 in front and 2 in back --- does this sound right?
23 REPLIES 23

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
We owned an 08 Holiday Rambler with the 3 point LCI system and it worked beautifully. We would pull in, put out the slides and hit the auto button on the control panel. No rocking, no windshield popping out, none of the supposed problems everyone who has not used the system talks about. It does not matter to me why the Monaco Corp decided to use this system. I only know it performed flawlessly.
Randy

My 2008 Camelot has the 3 point jack system. It has worked flawlessly since the day I brought it home from the factory 8 years ago. Although I've only owned one other coach with a 4 jack system, I can see absolutely no issues between the two systems.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My 3 point system is fine as well. It is the only motorhome I have owned so I don't have any experience with any others. I have never popped a windshield or had any problems levelling or lifting the rig. It is a 94 Bounder 36 ft. DP on an Oshkosh chassis.
The only issue I had was the control panel quit so I made up a new one with simple push button switches that work better than the original one.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
We owned an 08 Holiday Rambler with the 3 point LCI system and it worked beautifully. We would pull in, put out the slides and hit the auto button on the control panel. No rocking, no windshield popping out, none of the supposed problems everyone who has not used the system talks about. It does not matter to me why the Monaco Corp decided to use this system. I only know it performed flawlessly.
Randy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bluwtr49 wrote:
The 3 point jack are made by RVA and are still in production. We had them on out last coach and, while it took awhile to get use to them, are really nice. As stated drop the front first than use the rears to level. Yes, having support for the front is occasionally necessary but still a very good system.

RVA is out of business. They still produce replacement parts. They ONLY sold to Monaco and when Monaco in the mid 2000's told RVA they had to lower their price, RVA said NO, and Monaco dropped them. They never sold systems to the public or any other OEM. Doug

MrWizard
we had a 4 point system on a previous coach
and this one has a 3 point system

i prefer the 4 point system, we do not have air bags on this coach to help with the leveling

i would not make the 3 point vs 4 point the sole criteria for not choosing a particular RV
but if the choices were close, i would choose the 4 point system

paint, carpet, d****s/curtains, bedding, even couches and chairs
are easier and cheaper to change than the leveler system
and easier than a level system that you are not happy with
4 point is more stable,
and will level the front with out lifting it off the ground

one place we camp. we get one rear wheel or one front on higher ground
the 3 point is just not as easy to level the RV because you can't lift just one side of the front

bleeping censor thinks d.r.a.p.e.s is a dirty word
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 3 point jack are made by RVA and are still in production. We had them on out last coach and, while it took awhile to get use to them, are really nice. As stated drop the front first than use the rears to level. Yes, having support for the front is occasionally necessary but still a very good system.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
With three-point levelers I believe that the rationale for first raising the single front jack slightly is so that the front of the coach has freedom to tilt to one side or the other without being twisted as the rear jacks level the coach from side to side.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
My Monaco manual states that with the three point system you first put all three jacks in contact with the ground. This eliminates any twisting of the frame. Then you lower the front jack so that it lifts the front end a minimum of 1/2" or until level, end to end. Once the front end is in position you adjust the rear jacks to level the coach side to side.
Really a fairly simple system and mine has a lighted bubble level right next the the controls. I level the coach before I shut the engine down.

Then, how does the three point leveling system work on concert with air leveling like sch911 has on his RR8R chassis? Are the leveling cylinders used as stabilizers after the air leveling is completed? (I admittedly don't know much about the air leveling systems.)
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco manual states that with the three point system you first put all three jacks in contact with the ground. This eliminates any twisting of the frame. Then you lower the front jack so that it lifts the front end a minimum of 1/2" or until level, end to end. Once the front end is in position you adjust the rear jacks to level the coach side to side.
Really a fairly simple system and mine has a lighted bubble level right next the the controls. I level the coach before I shut the engine down.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

GlennLever,
While this is a tad off subject, I'm wondering. You state you're following some sort of advice to "always" put the front one down first. My question:
What happens if you're at a campsite that's already high in the front?
You'd be making it even higher if you were to follow your own advice. Just wondering.

FIRE UP

When leveling the first thing that I do is put down (home made) jack pads. I screwed together two pads for the rear made up of three 2X12X12 planks, and one pad made of three 2X12X24 planks screwed together.

The next thing that happens is when you turn on the leveling system the air bags on the coach deflate. This lowers the coach very close to the ground.

Now I lower the front jack and pick the front up a little and than use the rear to level side to side as needed.

Never been in a situation where the front ends up any higher that normal ride height.

bullydogs1,

what I did was screw eye hooks into my jack pads, and than use the awning "pull down rod" to position the front pad under the jack.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate message

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate message

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate message

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The three point system is a very poor set up. Who ever the engineer was that designed that should have gotten fired. If a person knows anything about setting up rigging on cranes will tell you that you always set up your four levelers to create a solid platform. The three point levelers was just to save money by eliminating one leveler. Most owners that had the three point leveling complained of rocking on the front part of the coaches IF the leveler was lowered a bit to much to where it would lift the wheel a bit off the ground in order to level the coach. With the four point levelers you never have that problem.

That is why in my opinion the Quadra levelers are so much better then the HWH. You can work all four together OR you can control each one individually.

I will usually bring the two in the front down until they touch the ground, then I bring the two on the back until they touch the ground. I look at my leveling dots and press the buttons accordingly to get the perfect platform. Once you have it leveled I put a little pressure on each leveler.

Forgot to mention that I do let the air out of the air bags before I start the procedure with the levelers. And then the slides go out.

Putting the slides out on an uneven RV parking spot will create stress on the slide twisting that is created by some of these parking areas.

And believe me I have seen some RV parks where the front end of some of these coaches is up in the air. Some are so bad that coaches that have the air leveling systems can not adjust to level the coach without putting boards under the tires.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision