cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Non-CDL Livingston Tx

Ready2BRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator, if this needs to be moved please do so I wasn't sure, thank-you. I am looking at upgrading my Tx License to a Class A Non-CDL. I am planning on doing this in Livingston Tx where an Escapees Club is based. I would appreciate any information from those that have done this at this particular DL division or anywhere in Texas. I found it difficult to find information on which part of the Class A CDL handbook to focus on. A rep. in Austin via the ph. said only Section 14....? Also any information on the driving test would be appreciated i.e. parallel parking etc. Thank-you for any and all input.
6 REPLIES 6

Ready2BRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to each of you for your replies. I downloaded the CDL handbook and will begin my studies.....I have a feeling this will be the transition to wearing my glasses on a more regular basis....I barely squeaked by last time.....bummer

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
jgallego_ typically you would have to have a vehicle that requires a certain class license to take the test. ie: the vehicle would have to have a gross vehicle rating over 26,000 pounds to take the class b non-cdl test and a gross vehicle rated over 26,000 pounds and a trailer rated over 10,000 pounds to take the class a non-cdl test. Where I work in IL we took a driver to take the class b cdl test and the could not verify that the vehicle had a gross rating over 26,000 pounds so they would not let him take the test. This was a vehicle that was licensed to 54,000 pounds but it did not have a sticker anywhere on the vehicle to verify the weight rating.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

jgallego
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome requires only a class C license. If I wanted to get a non-cdl b or a would I be able to use it for the driving test? It is 37 feet long.

Jaime
2014 Coachmen Mirada 35 DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
2013 Honda CRV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clicky
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

They have changed the handbook sence I took the test in Livingston a couple of years ago. I read over the book a couple of times before taking the test, but I use to have a CDL and let it go back. You will have to take test and pass before they will assign you a date to take the driving test. For me it was a week or two later. Drivng test was pertty easy with no questions regarding air brakes. Livingstonis a good place because they due a lot of RVers from Escapees.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the TX DOT page that describes the requirements: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm
FMCA member