Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A or C, That is the question

trucker677
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the site tonight in hoping someone can help me answer questions. I am looking at purchasing my first RV, I am undecided on whether or not to buy a Class A or C. I have a wife and two teen daughters that live with my ex wife but I get them every summer, we were talking about going to different places next summer so I thought it would be fun to buy a used RV to do so.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of owning either. most of the class A I looked at all have the 454 ci engine, when did fuel injection come out for these. is there a huge mpg difference between carbed and fuel injected, is there a huge mpg difference between class A and class C. I am very comfortable driving large vehicles as I teach tractor trailer and highway coach bus for the Canadian military and I am a volunteer driver at our volunteer fire dept.

Thanks in advance for the replies and or comments, I look forward to exploring.
13 REPLIES 13

tjholyoke
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both...2 class C and now an A. In my opinion, the A is by far more comfortable. Here are some of the pros we see. (Others may have differing opinions)

We had issues with the view driving in a C. The cabover just seems to block vision. In the A we have better peripheral vision.

The bounce of the cabover section of the C was noisy and it seemed to fight the wind while driving. It also led to leak issues we feel.

In our opinion ducking to get in and out of the cab area under the overhang was not comfortable and led to many bumped heads. While having two doors to get in and out of was at times convenient, we didn't like that the seats didn't swivel to give us usable seats when parked like the ones do in our A.

When we went to an A, we got usable length. In the Class C, part of the length was the hood and engine compartment...which is totally not usable space. So when we went up just a few feet in length, we got way more than that in actual new usable space. And the turning radius is much easier to manage in the A because of the different placement of the wheels in relation to the length.

We like the larger storage tanks for water and waste, more outside storage (although that really does depend on model), and roomier bedroom/bathroom options.

We took our boys across the country in our first C, and have since camped with them in the A. Really feel we would have been much more comfortable in the A for that long summer trip. Finances were not in place to do that at the time...but if we could have it would have been much nicer.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do you will be creating family memories.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
The view out the expansive front window while driving is better for all who are travelling.

I forgot all about that. The view out the front, both while moving and parked, is great for everyone. You're much higher, and like I said in a previous post, the cab becomes living space.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

There are still a lot of stereo-types out there about Class C's being better for families than class A's. Our two sofa class A has been ideal for our family. We've had it for 10 years now and have YET to find a floorplan on any A or C we'd like better. (Exclusive of that 45' DP...but that would be just a dream. 🙂 ) We slept 8 people in it down at Fort Wilderness for 5 nights and were quite comfortable.

The larger outside storage bins and fresh and waster water tanks alone is a great advantage of the A. The view out the expansive front window while driving is better for all who are travelling.

You just have to be patient and find a floorplan that will work for you.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

trucker677
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips, I have been attending sports and RV shows for a little while, last year I was asked to bring my racetruck in to a leisure show to promote a local racetrack in our area, for those on facebook we are under fallen heroes racing. the motor in the race truck is carbed and has been rebuilt a few times so I can get our top mechanic to rebuild a carb if it needs it. If I can get an amazing deal on a class A I will more than likely get it, for the majority of the time it is me and my wife except for xmas break, march break and 6 weeks in the summer but I can only take off 2 weeks in the summer, the rest of the time it is long weekends with extra days on either end, enough to travel around the maritimes.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly, if I had a family a class A would be my last choice. The vast majority are really for 2 people with and occasional guest.

Much more family friendly, IMHO, would be a class C or a 5er.

Of course this depends a great deal on how much traveling you will be doing and for how long. MH's excel at long trips for a prolonged period.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Attending some RV shows as suggested by gbopp is an excellent recommendation.

A common definition of the difference between Class C's and Class A's, is: A Class C sleeps 6, dinner for 4, drinks for 2. A Class A sleeps 2, dinner for 4, drinks for 6.

Since you're going to have two teenage girls with you, a Class C would be the more obvious choice. But, how often will they be with you and for how many more years?
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I recently picked up an '84 Class A (Allegro M-31). I'm not sure how far back you're looking, but the P30 Chevy chassis had carbs on the 454s up through '89 (someone else mentioned this). It's a reliable setup, even with the carb. The carb does take some occasional tinkering but in my case I stumbled across the rig super-cheap so I wasn't picky about carb vs. TBI vs. MPFI. It's easy to work on and simple in design.

Mine has a rear bedroom with twin beds, which is sort of unusual. Most have queens in the back. The twins are an advantage for kids that are too old to comfortably sleep in the same bed, but like to be in the same room. My couch becomes a sort-of-double bed that sleeps 2 adults cozily. There's also a bunk in the cab that *could* sleep 2 pre-teen kids but I'd recommend putting just one up there. Long story longer, the rig is great for my wife-to-be and 3 kids (16, 13 and 10). I, too, share custody of my kids (the 13 and 10 year-olds) and have found that RVing has been a great way to make the best use of our time together.

What I like most about the Class A is that the cab becomes more of an extension of living space than the Class C. I have a front living room and can turn the cab captain's chairs around to become part of that space. However, had a Class C fallen into my lap inexpensively, I'd probably be singing the praises of it instead.

It's not an inexpensive endeavor, and the older the rig the more potential there is for potential problems. Expensive ones. Any sort of leak or leaks can cause a lot of damage. The fridge is next the list- they don't age well. Beyond those two things, however, the rest of an RV isn't terribly complicated to repair or modify. I look at mine as an open palette for me to make my own.

Good luck with your decision!
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. I think a Class C would be your best choice.
They generally have more sleeping quarters and, bunks seem to be more common in a Class C.

Setting up and taking down a dinette or jack knife sofa every night gets real old, real quick.

You'll probably find that most Class A and Class B units get between 6 and 9 mpg. That's an average, some will do better, some worse.

Start going to RV shows and dealerships. See what floor plans are available. Don't be in a hurry to buy, there are a lot of units available. Read the forum and ask questions.
You may not find exactly what you want, but you will get something close.

Enjoy the search and learning process. And, keep us updated.

RV's are a great way to travel.

trucker677
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry I double posted, I did read the rules but most have overlooked that one, would it be ok to leave the other post there as it does apply to both A and C vehicles.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, I looked at a class A in Ontario, it has a 454 gas engine carbed and he said he gets 6 mpg.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Difficult choice for a family. The C's are a bit more family friendly with two REAL queen size beds while with an A you're looking at a sleeper sofa or maybe a jack knife sofa. A class A will give you much more exterior storage for your stuff and greater waste tank volume if your travels take you some where that doesn't have sewer connection at the camp site. Also with a C the total lenght usually ends at around 30 feet while an A can stretch out to 36 feet or so. Four feet doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference.

If your budget will allow try and find a newer coach with a fully injected engine. You'll have maybe 2 MPG gain in fuel economy but also a nice gain in power. Plus it's getting hard to find a mechanic that knows carbs or throttle body injection. 19 1/2 inch tires over something smaller is an advantage and learn how to read a tire date code. RV tire rarely wear out but they will die of old age, usually miles from anywhere.

Knowing how to spot delamination is a must when shopping. The fiberglass should be completely smooth and flat. No soft spots and when you tap on it the should should be similar to your front door not the bedroom door. No hollow sounds. As a newbie don't accept any delamination no matter how small. Your best option is to spend a couple of $100 to have the coach inspected just like as if you were buying a house. Worth every penny. Use the inspection to negotiate the price accordingly. A really big plus is an owner that kept maintenance records.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

trucker677
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Pet from 2001-2006, except for my tour in Aghanistan, My kids are in Pet though, I am in Halifax, refueling section.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since you just joined, you might go back and read the rules again, esp. the part about double posting.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You are apparently looking at older MHs. 454 had TBI from '89 or '90 and in '96 the Vortec with MPFI was introduced. Ford had MPFI in the 460 in '89. It is much easier to care for the EFI motors than the old carburetors. I have had Cs and As over the years and an older C is much more likely to leak in the cabover section. Delamination is a problem on older of both categories. That is bubbling or waves in the siding that comes from a water leak and is the wall coming apart. RUN if you see one like that. It is fatal. You aren't in CFB Petawawa by any chance?
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford