cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A travel in Mesa Verde NP...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search here but the info is more general then I'm looking for. I'd like to visit Mesa Verde NP but the web sites I found don't mention specifics for RV's except one map mentions RV parking in the park, but only at one place.

I don't have a toad (but I do have a bicycle) and the park is huge so, can I make my way around the park in a 37' Class A and stop at the various sites, or is it a problem for large Class A's? The NP site map shows a tunnel but it doesn't mention vehicle size. The park doesn't allow trailers passed a certain point, but again, no mention of large RV's.

Anyone been to the Mesa Verde NP in a Class A without a toad? What were you able to see?

Thanks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
15 REPLIES 15

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Mesa Verde. There is RV parking at Cliff House, Balcony House, and many of the other cool spots. Though we left our 5er at Mesa Verde RV Resort, we saw motor homes parked all over inside the park. Speaking of Mesa Verde RV Resort, the place was great. Only a 1/2 mile from the park entrance and the place was clean and overall a terrific spot.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely get a reservation for the campground. There are very few sites that will accommodate a large RV. I think that you could park at either Cliff and Balcony House and then ride your bike to see a lot of the ruins.

The park has a couple of ranger led bus tours which leave from Far View Lodge - very big parking lot. They're kind of expensive but look like they cover a lot. http://www.visitmesaverde.com/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

I have some more information on my blog - http://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/2013/05/mesa-verde-national-park.html

Have a good trip! It's a really cool place.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Mesa Verde RV Resort

Very nice, full hookups just outside of the Park entrance.
Only 1/2 of a mile east of Mesa Verde National Park, between Mancos and Cortez on Hwy 160 on the north side.
pawatt

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll try staying at Morefield...a May '13 review was pretty good for the park. But I'd better get a reservation since there's only 15 full service RV sites there. And then maybe try a tour van rather then troubling with a rental car. Or see how far I can get in the RV.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Big buses go there.That first tunnel is a little scary but you will fit.Enjoy.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the NPS Morefield CG in 2011 in our van RV. Bear in mind it is a long way from Morefield to the park's sites. It is not like Zion. There's no shuttle, free or otherwise, running from the campground further into the actual cliff dwellings etc in the park.

There are very few camp sites with electric hookups and all the facilities are dated. There were tours (we took one in a minivan and enjoyed it a lot) that picked up at the campground office/grocery store/showers area, a bit of a hike from our site.

We also stayed a couple of nights in Cortez. I think that's the way to go, with a rental car.

UMAlum
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Mesa Verde NP just last year with our 36' Class A motorhome and visited a majority of the park including Cliff Palace and Cliff Dwellings staying at Morefield campground that evening.

There was part of the national park that we could not see due to the size of the motorhome (Mesa road to Long House as you are limited to vehicles less than 25'), but I believe there are bus tours that you can take to see that portion if you desire.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Could only find one rental car place that would give a quote for an economy car from Cortez...$43 + tax per day. More expensive then a rental in LA. Maybe I'll just get to the RV park early and thumb a ride. Decided to extend my trip and head over there in 4-5 days instead of tomorrow so I'll be able to call the NP tomorrow and ask some questions about RVs in the park.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
You might want to consider staying in an RV park in Durango and renting a car for a few days. That would give you reasonable accommodations and a chance to really see the park.

Cortez would be closer to rent a car & still stay in the park. There is a private RV park across from the entrance to the park as well.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider staying in an RV park in Durango and renting a car for a few days. That would give you reasonable accommodations and a chance to really see the park.

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't want to ride a bike (bicycle) up from the Morefield Campground Area & even less to ride one from the entrance to Far View (visitor center) Area. Maybe ok from Far View. Roads are a little narrow to be sharing the roadway on a bike with cars & RVs. It a motorcycle or scooter (bike) wouldn't be too bad. I'd ridden a 250cc enduro from the CG to Far View.

There are fairly large parking areas at Far View. One could park there & bike to the other areas. When we were there years ago, people would catch a shuttle bus to go see one area of the park, the Wetherill Mesa area.

Likewise, you should be able to find parking farther in at the Spruce Tree Terrace area & might be able to use a bike around that area. Large Tour Buses drive up to that area (not shuttle ones).

From what I remember, the drive from Far View to Spruce Tree area is pretty level going. But it has been since 2010 since I've been there. We only did a drive in & overnight on that trip. There were a few wild mustangs along that way that evening. Loose Horse anyway.

You could ask a Ranger about taking the RV on the Mesa Top Ruins/Cliff Palace Loop Rd.

All depends on how proficient one is on a bike (peddle one), to be able to use one on the Loop Rd. But my memory of that road is a little vague, not real sure if has descents & assents or not. Maybe 1997 since I was on it.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

daveshan
Explorer
Explorer
Been a couple of years since I've been up there, it is ~35 miles away after all 😉 I agree that may be a bit of a ride, didn't seem that far when driving. I remember very few to no pullouts and tight parking spaces at the centers, not something I'd want to take our 37' coach into. The website isn't much help other than saying trailers and towed vehicles are not permitted past the campground.

Hopefully someone who is more help will chime in.
'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, IDK about the bike riding...it would be 21 miles from the RV park inside the park to the most famous of the sites, Cliff Palace. I'm not up to 42 miles on the bike in one day.

When you say, "Parking would be problematic" at the visitors centers, does that mean they are small? If so, would visiting on a weekday work better? Or would parking on a stretch of road leading to the centers be possible?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

daveshan
Explorer
Explorer
Mesa Verde's roads would probably be tight but OK but the parking in the various visitor centers would be problematic at best.

There is a campground with hookups actually in the park (you don't want to do the ride up from the park on 160) and you could probably ride your bike around most of the park without too much trouble.
'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)