cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A. Wheel size

seedhay
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if this is the place for this question. I am a year away from upgrading from class C Ford 29 ft to 31 to 35 foot class A. The new Ford A chassis should be out by then with the bigger engine and 10 speed trans. My first question is the bigger engine going to be a V 10? Second is opinion from current owners that have had both 19.5 and 22.5 tires. I am excavating contractor and have always gone with biggest wheels possible. Problem I have is most 32 footers are 19.5 rubber ( but is my preferred size for coach. Or the 35’s with the 22.5

Thanks in advance for you opinions
Seedhay
25 REPLIES 25

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 32’ with 22.5s. I think my neighbours’ 30 and 31 foot Newmar’s do too.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I like the feel and handling of the 22.5 tire
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
22.5 if available. Not a choice that would move me from 1 coach to another but 2 similar coaches and it's 22.5 for me.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the larger 19.5's will carry as much or more weight then a smaller 22.5. I have driven Class A's with both sizes, and the difference in ride in my opinion was insignificant.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Seedhay: This is link to an outdated (2018) brochure for the F53. There is a newer one available somewhere, I just cant remember where it is. Someone else? The update discusses the specs of the new V8 gas engine and transmission.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/stripped-chassis/models/f53-motorhome/

Chum lee

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read somewhere the new motor will be mated to the six speed for a few years.

2016 and up Fords have the six speed. Fleetwood and Holiday Rambler 32’ have 22.5”.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

seedhay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chum

I did not realize that the 22.5 were an option on the shorter units Have not really got into investigation of choices yet We like our 29 foot C. As we don’t have a toad and was hoping not to use one. I travel a long way usually and dislike pulling the toad. With Uber and my ability to get into tight spots with my present configuration, that is why I’m hoping to just step up 3 feet to a 32 ft class A. But then as you mentioned the weight factor comes into play. All things that must be investigated.
Thank you for your help
Seedhay

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"I am excavating contractor and have always gone with biggest wheels possible. Problem I have is most 32 footers are 19.5 rubber (but is my preferred size for coach. Or the 35’s with the 22.5"

Of course the larger wheel/tire combinations are more money than the 19.5" but IMO, you'll never regret the increased load capacity and wider choice of serious truck tires available in the 22.5" range.

Class A gassers in the 35' range with 19.5" wheels are always going to be close, if not above max GVWR with minimal cargo and full fluids, especially with multiple slides. Even with the shorter chassis Class A F53, the 22.5 aluminum wheels are a factory option, it's just a fairly expensive option that most buyers pass on.

Chum lee

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
22.5 wheels also ride a little nicer and track better than the smaller ones.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
the tire on the larger rim 22.5 is a real truck tire and is built to carry a real load and last a bet longer IMO that's what I now have on my 35 ft Georgetown with triple slides I 2 went from a C Class with 16 in tire LT which they were called and had 2 many problems with them good rid-dens to them. I go everywhere with out any fear.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A year from now, the new gas class A chassis from Ford will be powered by the new 7.3 V-8. Likely a more torquey (is that a word) engine, along with a new 10 speed tranny.
Word from Ford is a lower and wider torque curve, lower maintenance frequency and cost, and better economy. (end of commercial) To me, the first 2 to three years of a drivetrain are scary until they work out the bugs in the design.
On your Tires/wheels question, If you are using this in part for work in excavating, I would agree to get/look for the bigger wheels to maximize the ground clearance, the longer overall length can open the door to tail or center dragging problems.
If you are using on good roads at all times, I wouldn't worry about it.