cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B vs. A 1.0 - Mechanical

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
I am writing this post for the benefit of people who are lurking on this site and plan to begin traveling in an RV. We have 10 years of experience with a true Class B and more recently, a B+ (no longer than a B). Since we started RVing , two couple friends of ours bought big Class A motor homes and have started traveling towing a car behind them, so we also have the benefit of observing their experience.

People who travel in big RVโ€™s think that RVing in a Class B is pretty much the same deal, except that we squeeze ourselves into a tiny space. This is a BIG misconception.

If you want to travel around the US and Canada, a small RV is the way to go for many people, and offers many advantages over a big motor home or trailer. I will explain this in a series of posts beginning with this one.

First, a Class B van conversion is superior mechanically to a big motor home. Why? Class Bโ€™s and small Cโ€™s are built on a chassis 100% engineered and built by a major manufacturer like Ford, GM, or Mercedes. In contrast, the big Class Aโ€™s are cobbled up from components they buy from someone else or make themselves, like drive shafts, axles, brakes, etc. Quality varies from pretty good to junk. It is sad to see people fork over a big chunk of their life savings to pursue the dream of seeing America and find out they have bought a lemon. Take a look at the Class A forum and see for yourself. A Class B owner is at least assured of a safe, reliable vehicle. Our friends have motor homes made in Alabama and have made many trips there to get them fixed. Give me a break!

Details to follow.
25 REPLIES 25

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
MyRoadtrek, I took OP's post seriously and looked forward to reviewing the basis for his opinions. So far he has no basis, no facts, no evidence, He doesn't even indicate he has ever owned an A...but he has an opinion on A's because two friends bought one..."cobbled" together. At least those who profess to hate "China Bomb" tires owned them and had a blow out, separation or something first hand. I don't know much about A's and believe now OP has nothing to teach me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
He posted yesterday. Why don't you try posting something constructive.:S

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP has gone silent running again.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
1. Mechanic/Repair Availability

The more mass-produced vehicle will probably have a larger network of possible repair places.

Also, smaller size allows more repair shops to handle.

2. Parts Availability

Ditto

3. Costs of Repairs and Parts

Ditto

4. Safety tested, airbags, etc.

Vans will likely have an edge over Class A motorhomes. Airbags, electronic stability, crosswinds, etc.

Exception: Class A motorhomes built on a touring coach or bus (e.g, Prevost) will have an integrated body and chassis, and may have many safety features.

Years ago (haven't checked recently), RV.org favored Class C motorhomes over Class A motorhomes (non-Prevost type) as the Class Cs used a full-size van front. Many Class A motorhomes back then had inadequate front protection.

5. Handling

Many Class As had too long bodies (same was true of some 15 passenger vans).

Some Class As on Prevost type platforms can perform better than vans.

Vans are closer is size to a large SUV, and thus easier to drive.

--------

Obviously, Class A motorhomes have their own advantages.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I think the problem was that the way the OP states it, he's saying that no one should buy a large RV..." and his friend had some issues. Still nothing but his friend's problems.....therefore...unsubstantiated opinion from a third party that doesn't even know the current RV issue of his friend. Talk about "cobbling"...oh my!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a case of trying to justify spending too much on a van.

Snopes would brand the OP "False".
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the problem was that the way the OP states it, he's saying that no one should buy a large RV because it's inherently inferior for a myriad of reasons (which he still has to share with us).

Some people want a big space, some people want a class A style, and so on.

One isn't inherently better than the other - it's a matter of choice.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I at least was interested in what the OP had to say rather than jumping all over him for his opinions.
We've had 3 class A's, 1 National and 2 Newells. Now we're searching for a 23' to 27' class B+/C for shorter travels in more remote areas.
Guess what? they all had problems. Even the Newells. But if Newell made the size we're looking for I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one.
So can we get back on track and discuss the differences between getting a B/C repaired vs. an A?
I'm looking for a domestic chassis rather than the MB for these same differences. Same reason I bought a Mustang convertible rather than a foreign model. I can get it fixed anywhere.
Now let the games continue....

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends with the Tiffin are leaving in 3 weeks to Minnesota and Canada from our home town near Houston TX. They have to stop on the way in Red Bay AL first for more repairs. He hasn't told me what it is this time. As I understand it, you have to wait in line as much as a week to get the work done. I think I'll pass..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Sure, some of the big class A's are built on quality platforms but they are just not as reliable as vans that are commercial vehicles used as ambulances, airport shuttles, delivery vans, etc."

You aren't even sure of your one example..."it was a suspension or axle problem, as I remember."

Other than "one of our friends," what are the facts that lead you to this conclusion? Personal in depth study? AAA article? DOT studies?

candlback
Explorer
Explorer
For a class B forum, it seems most of the opinions are from A owners.
Candlback

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even debate this person! He's obviously completely ignorant of anyone else's want's or needs. No logic whatsoever in his argument. Let it die.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
jjson775 wrote:
Why would a newbie want this when there is such a good option - a small RV.

Ummm . . they want more room? A bathroom they don't have to dry after taking a shower? More storage? And dozens of other very legitimate reasons. For us it was because we were traveling with two kids and two medium sized dogs. You cam't really do that very well in a B or even a small C.

None of us gets to decide what other people's priorities should be. Best to just be happy with your own choice and leave others to make theirs.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because they don't WANT a small RV.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)