cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C/E 450/Towing 7,500 lbs/Request Photos of Newer Rig

RacerX10
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if some kind soul who has one of the newer Class C's on an E-450 chassis that has been rated for 7,500 lbs could possibly post pictures of their frame / extensions and hitch so that I might compare it to what I'm about to get.

The rig I'm buying is a 2013 Fleetwood Jamboree 25k, E-450; it has a 5,000 hitch on it but I don't know if the extensions are any different then what those rigs rated for 7,500 lbs are. I don't expect to get much out of Fleetwood on the issue. Just checking to see if I can toss a 7,500 hitch on there and call it good.

If you could also measure the length of your extensions and post your make / model and / or wheelbase, that would be awesome and terribly helpful to a lot of people I think.

Thanks in advance !
7 REPLIES 7

RacerX10
Explorer
Explorer
Quick bump to see if I can get any help on this .. still looking for photos of frame extensions on a Class C w/ 7500 tow rating .. thanks !

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
RacerX10 wrote:
Mich F wrote:

A 2013 E450 is rated by Ford at 14,500# GVW and a GCWR of 22,000#. For some reason (probably the frame extension)

That's why I'm looking for photos of frame extensions on rigs now rated for 7,500. The manufacturer didn't change anything on them but the hitch when they uprated it from 5,000 to 7,500.

I'm aware of what you're looking for and I made some suggestions. 😉 I was responding to the post by quingus (that's why I quoted him) and his figure of 19,000 gross weight, from somewhere. :h
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

RacerX10
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:

A 2013 E450 is rated by Ford at 14,500# GVW and a GCWR of 22,000#. For some reason (probably the frame extension)

That's why I'm looking for photos of frame extensions on rigs now rated for 7,500. The manufacturer didn't change anything on them but the hitch when they uprated it from 5,000 to 7,500.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
quingus wrote:
I read your rig size 25k on a 450 frame. That means you have a 19k gross weight. You should have no probs slapping a good beefy hitch on that and roll out for fun. Good luck.

A 2013 E450 is rated by Ford at 14,500# GVW and a GCWR of 22,000#. For some reason (probably the frame extension) Fleetwood down rated it to tow 5,000# instead of the 7,500# difference between Ford's GVWR and the GCWR figures.
I'd also advise taking it to a knowledgeable shop that installs/builds hitches. Have them decide what is necessary to allow for the extra towing capacity you are looking for.
Another big consideration is tongue weight. Towing a trailer with a normal tongue weight of 10-12% of total weight, could very well put you over either the rear axle rating or GVWR if not both both. It would also probably have an affect on handling.
Assuming your frame extension would not be affected by a weight distribution hitch, that could lessen the possible tongue weight issues.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
I read your rig size 25k on a 450 frame. That means you have a 19k gross weight. You should have no probs slapping a good beefy hitch on that and roll out for fun. Good luck.

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Fleetwood Jamboree sport and have the 5k hitch. I was in Redding Ca and was towing my wife's car. I was talking with the owner of a similar size rv and make. He was towing four wheels up jeep mudslinger. I asked how he could pull that with trailer and truck. Said he had a 7.5k Reese hitch put on. He told me I could put one one mine. I thought about it as I would like to tow all wheels up. Don't like the idea of two wheels up, two down. Just me and my likes. Take to a good trailer shop and have them give it a look. As long as your not maxed on your gross weight, why not. BTW my wife's 4dr sedan was maybe 3K and I didn't know it was back there. That V-10 is a brute with the tow haul. Did I answer your question not sure.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might get a knowledgeable person at Fleetwood.

When I was buying my 2005 Excursion 39S DP it didn't have a capacity sticker on the hitch. I called Fleetwood and they said it had a 5,000# hitch. I asked what I'd to do to increase it to 10,000#s. They said don't worry, a couple years later they increased the rating to 10,000# after some more testing. That in 2005 hardly anyone was asking for more than 5,000# so that was all they tested it to.

I'm not saying yours will handle more, but you have a chance of getting someone with hitch knowledge.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.