cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C Motorhome

Bren53
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy a new 2018 Class C. So far we have looked at a Conquest 25 ft. We've also looked at the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE and a 28Z, also a Jayco 26XD Redhawk. Out of these we really liked the Thor 29FE the best with it's options. I've read reviews that aren't kind to the Thor Freedom Elite series. Are there others out there we should consider? We are in a rural area so have to drive at least 100 miles to look at and then not a big selection. Have been looking online. Pro's and con's on any of the above and for sure the Thor 29FE?

Mostly just the 2 of us and an occasional camp out with the grandkids.
Thanks for any help and info.
Bren53
22 REPLIES 22

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at the Forest River Products as kerrlakeRoo suggested,they seem to have better reviews than the Thor products,Their Sunseeker 2860ds has about the same floor plan as the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE.

There is one advantage I like,it is that on the Sunseeker the dinette is on the passenger side. I had a Class A that was that way and I liked it better,when the kids were small we could sit there and watch them play under the awning and the view was of my campsite as opposed to the Class C I have now with the dinette on the other side,as the Thor has,where my view outside is of the other campsite.

Another advantage is that you can get it on a Chevy Chassis They are not as prone as the Fords to have handling problems as is often discussed here on the Forum.

They offer a smother ride and a larger and more comfortable cockpit area.
Good Luck in your quest for that perfect RV that will fill your needs and you will be happy with.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Given where you live, perhaps it's worth to "take a trip to the big city" for a weekend and examine all the models at a variety of dealers. Metro STL would be a good place for your first trip of this sort. Better to see in person and have a plan to return, then to be pressured with sales tactics. You could even leave everything except your driver's license in the safe at the hotel lol.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Recently we bought a used 2017 Forest River Forester 2251LE, with 8000 miles on it, from a Dlr. Specifically, I wanted a Chevy truck instead of Ford. Came with a 6.0 V8 gas engine on a 450 Frame. I have owned larger 5th wheels---wanted smaller for maneuvering and just my D.W. and myself. We have put about 2000 miles on it w/ no problems. Love the 55 gal gas tank-don't like the smaller storage areas-but we adapted-gets about 10-12 mpg. Did have a Fantastic Fan put in. Like the overhead(Loft) bunk area-seems to have more usable height than others I had looked at. My D.W. likes having an oven as well as the microwave-noticed a lot of Class C's don't have an oven. Good luck--Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Foresters and Sunseekers vs the Thor, Fiberglass roof, better cabinetry, Jayco's look also at the Greyhawks, And in each case drive them. Jayco has several of the popular mods to steering and suspension already done so you may find driving them to be much better.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Take a look at the Winnebago models. Then compare what Winnebago offers compared to Thor models. Start with the roof.

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
Bren53 wrote:
We are looking to buy a new 2018 Class C. So far we have looked at a Conquest 25 ft. We've also looked at the Thor Freedom Elite 29FE and a 28Z, also a Jayco 26XD Redhawk. Out of these we really liked the Thor 29FE the best with it's options. I've read reviews that aren't kind to the Thor Freedom Elite series. Are there others out there we should consider? We are in a rural area so have to drive at least 100 miles to look at and then not a big selection. Have been looking online. Pro's and con's on any of the above and for sure the Thor 29FE?

Mostly just the 2 of us and an occasional camp out with the grandkids.
Thanks for any help and info.

I currently have a 2017 Freedom Elite 29FE that we purchased new in nov. 2017. All I can say is I loved the RV at first. Now, very sorry to say...not so much! Very disappointed in it. Great floor plan, great price, but have had very little time enjoying it. Too busy getting things fixed. We have put more miles put on it to and from camping world service centers(2 different centers) than we have to enjoy it. It currently has 3718 miles on it and all but about 2200 miles have been traveling to camping world (s)for service. Just dropped if off again today. :(. Not sure when we will get it back of if I even want it back. Having it has caused a lot of stress and provided 0 enjoyment. I"m seriously considering legal action against camping world and Thor if I have any further problems with it. I just want them to take it back! I know others are very happy with their units and I don't mean to make this about all 29FEs, this is just my experience.
Wishing I would have listened to others on this site. Good luck with your search!

Bren53
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting these! I guess I really didn't stop to think about the TV! Good points you have posted for us to think about.
Bren53

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We like to sit at the table and look out the window. The 29FE seems to have a TV in the middle of the table and two small windows, one on each side.

Also, we like to sit at the table and look out under the awning.

Also we do not like the stove and sink to be on a slide, that sounds like trouble.

Also we do not like a 75 inch bed. We sold one unit because it had a bed that length and would never even consider another like it.

That's my opinion.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel