Sensors apparently need cleaning because readout shows
3/4 full or occassionlly1/2 full, when I know it is as
empty as can be. Can you recommend one product that will
clean the sensors? Thank you
29 REPLIES 29

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wand thingy seemed to work for me. I would imagine a good thorough soaking beforehand (filling the tank with water and letting it sit) would help loosen crud. I've also read that automatic dishwasher detergent is sometimes helpful. Seems it might be worth trying in the pre-soaking, and at any rate wouldn't cause any problems.

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
The Geo Method helps.

I don't really worry about the reading on the sensors. You'll quickly learn when you need to dump your tanks.

Geo method worked for me for 20 plus years. If it's really BAD tank with dried on "gunk" use clear water ONLY but pot in some septic tank enzymes that will "eat" the crud or at least soften it.

A day or two before a trip I load it up with the soap, water softener, pineSol, detergent, etc, and I add a couple of bags of CRUSHED ice, this does the scrubbing.

Drive around, let it sit, flush three times with clean water, then add some water and new toilet chemicals. Works in all tanks.
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The Geo Method helps.

I don't really worry about the reading on the sensors. You'll quickly learn when you need to dump your tanks.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Check out thefitrv for a video showing the effectiveness of ice cubes in the black water tank.....not very. It is an entertaining video, though.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've tried everything including every caustic cleaner I could find. None worked.
Finally I made my own "wand" out of some 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap on the end and a 3/16 hole drilled into the side of it. The end that attaches to the hose just used a 3/4" threaded PVC cap.
The force of the water coming through that little hole does a great job. My DW watches the sensor reading while I blast away at it. only take a minute and it works perfect again.
For a while.

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
our BT will go about two weeks from empty (like clockwork) before needing to be emptied with DW and I on board.

Whatcha expect? The poor black tank doesn't have a chance. Everyone knows Master Chiefs are full of******AND Command Master Chiefs are really full of it.

Ha-ha, Mike howzit going?

Mike
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
About 30 years ago I built a wand that works better than the one from Walmart. About 3' of 1/2" dia copper pipe. Ball valve and hose fitting on one end. Cap on the other end. I drilled two 3/16" dia holes in the side of the capped end. Lots of pressure. You do have to twist it but cleans the tank very well.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH is a 2006 model we bought in 2009. I use one of the sprinkler head wands 3 or 4 times per year and sensors still work fine. They will get where they read 2/3 full and a good cleaning takes care of it. I do have sewer cleanout at home I can hook up to so I can clean longer than if in line at a dump station.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Sensors are prone to clogs. I've put some 20 Mule Team Borax in about a 1/3 of a tank and go for a drive, it helps wash the probes. Don't really trust the sensors but it is nice when they work.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on those sensor. Did all that ice stuff, back flow washer flush. Strange as it may seem, our BT will go about two weeks from empty (like clockwork) before needing to be emptied with DW and I on board. I start to look and hear when that times coming. After dumping I mark the date on a calendar.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on those sensor. Strange as it may seem, our BT will go about two weeks from empty (like clockwork) before needing to be emptied with DW and I on board. I start to look and hear when that times coming. After dumping I mark the date on a calendar.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Some European rigs have a round hatch at the top. This would be nice for cleaning out a black water tank... worst case, get a good pair of elbow-length gloves, a scraper and a wet/dry vac, which should take care of almost anything.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
I have used dynamite with good success.

But only once.... :B
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

jodpel
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have one of those wands that you put down the toilet drain pipe? I use one about every second or third time I dump and my sensors stay clean. I have a "swivel stick" that has a brass nozzle that spins around and sprays everywhere. They have one with a flex hose on it for toilets that aren't mounted right on top of the black tank. They also sell a cheaper one that just has one fixed spray jet that you presumable twist all around inside the hole to clean all the sides and wash everything down. Finally, the tornado rinser seems like a good product. I bought one but haven't installed it yet. It's the same concept as the swivel stick but permanently mounted in the tank. The advantage is you don't have to drag a hose through the camper to use it. It has a piece of hose that mounts to a bracket and you just hook the water up to it right there on the outside of the camper. The down side is you can't twist it all around since it's mounted in the tank.

The other solution is to put several bags of ice down the toilet and drive it on a twisty bumpy road. The ice should slosh around and scrub the tank. Then use a rinser either every time you dump or maybe every other time to keep it clean.

Swivel Stick like mine but with a flexible extension

Tornado Rinser that you have to mount in the tank.

Cool video testing tank mounted rinsers by The Fit RV

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks throw in a bag of ice and drive around, others, have black tank sprayers (either built in or use a wand through the toilet.) Still others just accept that they are inaccurate and forget about it.

I have used dynamite with good success.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro