cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coach batteries

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace the coach side batteries. Any suggestions on what to get or not get? This is my first Rv and did not know these are not maintenance free. Do they make AGM batteries? Are deep cycle marine battery the same? Are the Rv batteries 6 volt or 12 volt? On my way to the storage lot to pull the old batteries out now.
Thanks for insight on this.
21 REPLIES 21

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"I just replaced my house batteries with Interstate GC2 flooded cell 6 volts and added 200 watts of solar. I haven't tried this configuration out yet."

Jplante, you will really like solar recharging but you might be a little "light" at 200 watts. I'm happy at 300 watts for 240 amps. Depends on your usage.

Yeah, we're not heavy boondockers. A few days without 50 amp is probably all we'll do. It's just nice to be tank limited rather than power limited.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the headroom, also consider the Trojan T125 or T145. These have the same footprint as the GC2 (T105 in Trojan line.) batteries, but will give you some added reserve capacity in AH's.

Yes to a water fill system.

And yes, AGM's are also available in GC2 sizes. They do charge a bit faster, and are very low maintenance as far as say a yearly cleaning of the posts (Though quite often that is not even needed, but good to do, just to ensure good contact.). Fullriver has been getting good reviews for a lower price AGM. We run Lifeline, and they will probably be on the top end of your price point. All of this, is assuming your charger has AGM settings available.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

becker
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy do some research..... I suggest you Google Interstate Batteries.... they are nationwide and have excellent service.... they will install them (no cost)and coat the terminals.... since they are nationwide, their warranty policies are consistent.... I have used them for years and feel secure that they are nationwide.... they have answered all of my questions and I never have felt they were just trying to "sell" me.... FMCA has a video out with Nationwide that explains the new Deep-Cycle RV battery.... AGM is probably the best but it is a bit pricey but lasts a long time. Good Luck.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I just replaced my house batteries with Interstate GC2 flooded cell 6 volts and added 200 watts of solar. I haven't tried this configuration out yet."

Jplante, you will really like solar recharging but you might be a little "light" at 200 watts. I'm happy at 300 watts for 240 amps. Depends on your usage.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
if you go with AGM make sure your inverter-charger is capable of charging them. some are not. My original inverter in my coach was not capable

AGMs are the way to go...my inverter/charger has a setting for AGMs.
2014 American Eagle

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my house batteries with Interstate GC2 flooded cell 6 volts and added 200 watts of solar. I haven't tried this configuration out yet. Had to trim the battery tray a bit to get things to fit, but I have 4 house batteries, not 2.

Batteries were $150 each, the solar panels were $250 each and I got a new controller for $120.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
if you go with AGM make sure your inverter-charger is capable of charging them. some are not. My original inverter in my coach was not capable
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Vibrant93
Explorer
Explorer
I made the switch from 12v to 6v golf cart batteries last year and wont look back. Just remember to hook the 6v batteries up in series. Not parallel like your 12v were. Like you I drag race. I've found that when not using the coach (over the winter) my Powermaster AGM charger that I use for the car does a great job to keep them charged. I pulled them from the coach and hit them with the charger about 1 time a month. So far so good! Got mine at Sams Club as well.
-2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35u
-2013 3,500lb trailer toad (www.trailertoad.com)
-1995 F250 Powerstroke (110,000 miles)
-1993 Mustang Cobra (11,000 original miles)
-1991 Mustang LX (race car, 10.09 @133.7)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with golf cart batteries (my choice, as long as you keep them filled, they give the most bang for dollars spent), get a system like this to make checking them easy. Without it, it's too easy to put off the monitoring.
https://accessories.lazydays.com/flowrite-2-battery-profill-battery-watering-system-rv2000-19-0702?cid=52-0013-05&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC_HvIwtZc1NEtrlDur6H3m4zKMssEbEmoSscsWd6dIwaAsE58P8HAQ

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased four Crown CR220 6V Flooded Batteries that are factory blems, for $85.00 with a 1 year warranty. They retail for $129.00.
If you contact the factory you can find a Distributor for your area.

They are reported to have thicker plates and from what I have heard from others they lasted 6 years for them
http://www.crownbattery.com/crown-battery-golf-electric-vehicle

I am replacing my four Duracell 6V Golf Cart Batteries I purchased from Sam's Club that have only lasted for 2 yrs. 7 mos.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
I will check Costco Sunday. Our sans by house has the Duracell egc2 battery for 117.00 each instock. They are 230ah. The Rv will only fit 2 batteries in the compartment. My local Costco does not list batteries on website so I will have to drive there and see if they have interstate in stock.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you do a lot of boon docking (no power hookups), look in your battery box and see if there is room for 4 batteries or even six. The more 6v golf cart batteries you can get in there the better off you will be. We have six 6v Interstate golf cart batteries that I purchased at Costco for about $85 each.

I would NOT go with multiple 12v batteries...even deep cycle. Stick with the 6v golf cart type.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Our primary use of the Rv is to go to race tracks with our son who drag races. 3 out of 10 race tracks we go to have power hook ups. The other 7 we run generator or house batteries . I never knew the old ones had water/acid in them and they were junk end of last season. The ones I just took out are interstate extreme gc2-uxd-utl. They are 6 volt batteries. There are only 2. I did take pics and also zip ties the wires at the connection points. How long do the chassis batteries last too? Ours were put in dec 13. I will check out sams and also call interstate Monday.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
How do you use your motorhome? If you always stay at campgrounds with electric hookups, you do not need to go crazy buying lots of battery capacity that you'll never need. If, on the other hand, you boondock or dry camp for extended periods, it probably makes sense to get as much battery capacity as you reasonably can. That is doubly true if you have a residential fridge.