cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coachmen starflyte

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone have one or know much about these? I've seen one a year ago shortly after I bought my van (coachmen ) I love the van but wonder if one of these starflyte rv's would be even better for what I do. .which is typically hang a xr600 off the receiver hitch and camp for a couple, few days. I like the idea of the enclosed bathroom so if I have guests over, fellow riders avoiding the cold, not such an issue using the bathroom as in a van type.

I'm real curious about the hitch weight and tow weight, water capacities and how solid they are. Looks like with that v10 it's a bit of a rocket ship compared to my 5.7l van!

Thanks,

Chuck
15 REPLIES 15

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III

Went ahead and bought it, very glad. Much more comfy.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbigham wrote:
My motorhome is way too big, but starflyte will give us enough space, convenience, mobility and security to make the trip ..two adults and a 6 yr old.

The v10 has me thinking of occasionally towing a jeep as well.

For two adults and a 6 yr old, the Starflyte will be too small. It barely has enough bed space for one adult.

A better choice would be a 2002-2006 BT Cruiser, 5210 22foot with the V10.

It is about the same size outside as the Starflyte, but has a better floorplan inside. Look for one with dinette and sofa and rear bath. This is the most livable.

The BT Cruiser has a dry bath with shower, a large fridge, a gas cooktop and oven.

For better fuel economy, look for one on the E350, instead of the E450. Towing capacity is in excess of 6000 pounds with the V10

You can see photos of the one I had at http://www.dropviewer.com/g/2213

If you can find a Trail-lite TL 213, you'll get the same floorplan, chassis and motor.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gene. Looking for the coachmen. I remember seeing those go locally for 10-18k. I like the rear bed style best. I wouldn't pass by a dynamax model at the right price tho. Not likely to buy from a dealer tho.I'd rather save the spread between wholesale he buys it for and retail. Pretty patient. From those sales, seems they carry 20+gal water. Perfect for what it needs to do.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbigham - Not that it matters, but I am still confused on what year or model of Starflyte you are considering. I find quite a variety like this - Chevy 2002 Dynamax Starflyte or this shorter Ford 2000 Coachmen Starflyte or this Ford 1998 Starflyte. Also found this - Ford 2001 Dynamax Starflyte.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

jonthebru
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I am aiming for the sofa/bed on the driver side in the back. I live in Hawaii and want to own a small, efficient RV on the mainland to cruise around and check things out. That is the main reason I am attracted to the Class B vehicle.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
More unknown, the better! Anyone know the hitch weight, water capacities?

I have a friend who went to Alaska in his class b. He thought a slightly larger unit would be perfect. My motorhome is way too big, but starflyte will give us enough space, convenience, mobility and security to make the trip ..two adults and a 6 yr old.

The v10 has me thinking of occasionally towing a jeep as well.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
jonthebru wrote:
I have two questions about the starflyte model as well. I have seen a few on the market around the country. They seem fairly inexpensive on the used market even though they have a very usable configuration with the fiberglass cap that may hold up well. So my questions: Why is the Star Flyte's resale price so low, comparatively , and is the Miles per gallon savings very much better than a small class C?

I think the Starflyte's price is so low because most people have never heard of them, and the manufacturer (Dynamax) didn't promote the brand very well.

As an example of how poorly it was marketed, I had no problem registering the Starflyte domain name (which I used when selling the Starflytes I bought). http://www.starflyte.com

Another problem is the B+ version of the Starflyte was only available for a couple of years, before they used the same name on the B van model. So when buyers see the Starflyte name in an ad, they don't know what it is, and even though of use who do know what it is, never are quite sure whether it will be the Dodge based B, or the Ford based B+ (small C).

The small C version get better than average C fuel mileage because of the aerodynamic shape and the higher gear ratio on the e350 chassis (most C's are on the e450 chassis which has a lower gear ratio).

Bill

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbigham wrote:
Gene,
thanks for the tip. I've hitch carried bikes for many years. If it's a long trip, they go in the funmover. I have a physics degree,and am aware of the effects of leverage. This topic does come up from time to time and people should be aware, especially in lighter vehicles. People do also need understand a 300 lbs cargo off the receiver is nowhere near as stressful to the vehicle as a 8000 lbs cargo, with 800lbs tongue weight surging up, down, left, right, in, out.

These class b vehicles are very handy for a couple days ride.
Chuck,

I kinda suspected you knew about the possible handling problems with 300 lbs on the hitch since you were doing it on the Class B. I have offered this advice several times as many readers of these postings do not know or consider the issue. Some of the Ford units have a problem getting enough weight on the front axle. Then the front likes to wonder all over the road. You are correct that the 8,000 trailer also stresses the chassis.

I believe you would like the slightly larger unit. 🙂
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

jonthebru
Explorer
Explorer
I have two questions about the starflyte model as well. I have seen a few on the market around the country. They seem fairly inexpensive on the used market even though they have a very usable configuration with the fiberglass cap that may hold up well. So my questions: Why is the Star Flyte's resale price so low, comparatively , and is the Miles per gallon savings very much better than a small class C?

Assyrian_Elvis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice rig, but Ive always like the design of the trans vans better, Whats ur opinion on the trans vans? I think starflyte makes better interior but the outside fiberglass design I prefer the trans van, N btw check out my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMr-DGdHd1j_vBuTjLwOepQ
1989 COACHMEN FORD ECONOLINE 250, 2ND OWNER, VAN FROM LAS VEGAS 44000 ORIGINAL MILES MINT CONDITION MORE PICS ON MY FACEBOOK MARSHALL KHAMOU

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gene,
thanks for the tip. I've hitch carried bikes for many years. If it's a long trip, they go in the funmover. I have a physics degree,and am aware of the effects of leverage. This topic does come up from time to time and people should be aware, especially in lighter vehicles. People do also need understand a 300 lbs cargo off the receiver is nowhere near as stressful to the vehicle as a 8000 lbs cargo, with 800lbs tongue weight surging up, down, left, right, in, out.

These class b vehicles are very handy for a couple days ride.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Bill. I have a coachmen tm18 van and have been impressed. The stuff is fairly solid, 16 gal water, about 11 blackwater, and it carries the bike like it's not there. (Gm manual says 700lbs hitch weight and 7200lbs)My only complaint is no real indoor shower. I would I think upgrade to a starflyte if one came up, a wet bath is fine for me, beats a no bath!
I assume a starflyte carries 20+gal of water? Good to go. With a v10, got to feel like a rocket compared to the 5.7L in the van. Starflyte sounds solid..

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbigham wrote:

I'm real curious about the hitch weight and tow weight, water capacities and how solid they are. Looks like with that v10 it's a bit of a rocket ship compared to my 5.7l van!

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

A few years back, I had the opportunity to purchase a 1998 Coachman Starflyte on the Ford chassis with the V10 in it. It was being sold by the original owner, and had 50,000 miles on it.

It had been sitting in his yard and hadn't been started in six months. It was covered with grime and not very appealing.

But the price was right. I got it for $7,500.

I was able to get it started and took it home and cleaned it up. While cleaning it, I discovered how well it was built. The cabinets were real wood, the fiberglass exterior had no blisters and appeared to be thicker than on newer motorhomes.

The tow rating was over 5,000 pounds. Don't remember what the water tank capacities were.

Mechanically, it needed a new fuel pump (in the rear gas tank), new tires, new brakes and new brake lines, an oil change and a tune up. About $3,000 total.

After that, it drove like a dream. No problems at all. Plenty of power, and surprisingly good fuel mileage (average 12.5).

I drove it for two years and when I got ready to sell it, it sold for $16,500 on eBay.

The only thing I didn't like was the bathroom. A little cramped, but usable.

If you want to see what it looked like, check out my photo gallery at Starflyte Photo Gallery

Note: I no longer have it and it isn't for sale. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one - knowing in advance that it would probably need a fuel pump, new brakes, new brake lines and tires (because most older motorhomes will need these things).

Bill