cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Millon Dallor Hwy

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going from Texas to Ouray Co in a couple of weeks. 40 foot diesel pusher pulling a Jeep. I have seen mixed reviews about driving this combo on Hwy 550. I was a over the road truck driver at one point in my life and drive fire trucks for a living now. How bad is this road, something I need to avoid or just take it slow? What other routes are there to get to Ouray?
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST
16 REPLIES 16

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
We are here now. Road construction on the south side descending into Ouray, but no issues. We drive it all the time and see the 18 wheelers and MHs and it is no issue for them, or us! I don't think it is anything but a road with a wonderful view. And a heck of a drop off!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled cattle, salt, mineral and cow feed all over those roads including the old Lizard Head Pass before they fixed it without a Jake Brake too. If you have a Jake, put it on and run down at about 40 MPH and you'll be OK. Slumgullion is the worst pass in Co with 9.4% grade and Lizard Head only has about 4.5%.The old road was one of the deadliest, my best friend may he R.I.P. went off it at about 4oo ft above the canyon, the truck is still at the bottom. That was 1972. Star of Pass is MM 46 to 71. 12.5 up, 12.5 down.
http://cotrip.org/m/home.xhtml

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more thought: 18 wheelers MUST drag their trailers across the center line in some of the tight turns. Be ready to STOP!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey.. I once took a route Streets and Trips (A very well named program it is) recommended that involved a road in Utah called Kodachrome Drive.. and yes it was as senic as the road name suggests.

DO NOT EVER TRY IT WITH A CLASS A MOTOR HOME!!!!

Next time I travel that road I'm going to take a jeep.. (Oh, made it only problem was not due to the road but a mechanical failure that will not happen again)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Just take your time. Beautiful scenery. My wife says I'll do the sightseeing you just pay attention to where your going!!!!!
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Change of topic sort of.. Every time I read about the "Million Dollar Highway" it reminds me of something I read long ago.

As you may be aware the streets in Heaven are paved with gold (Joke ommitted save for Punch Line "Pavement, You brought Pavement" (St. Peter to someone who was given permission to bring it with him).

Someone did the math to figure out how much it would cost to actually cover our freeways with a fairly think layer of gold.....

Less than the concrete under it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
jtad wrote:
We will be going from Texas to Ouray Co in a couple of weeks. 40 foot diesel pusher pulling a Jeep. I have seen mixed reviews about driving this combo on Hwy 550. I was a over the road truck driver at one point in my life and drive fire trucks for a living now. How bad is this road, something I need to avoid or just take it slow? What other routes are there to get to Ouray?

jtad,
Well Sir, from one "Retired" fireman to a "still working one" I can tell you, you'll have ZERO issues with that road and or, driving conditions. Especially since you've based your careers on DRIVING larger and heavier machines, in multiple various situations and conditions. Yep, there's almost NO guard rails on that length of the road, all the way from Durango to Ouray. Big deal! Unless you use guard rails to guide your coach in mountain driving conditions, it will not be of any concern.

Yes, that road was one of the ones featured on a TV show called "Dangerous Roads". If you've ever seen that show, they also did one on a road in Bolivia. That road makes the Million Dollar Road, look like a road in Kansas!!

That show featured two fuel tanker drivers, a father and son team. And they drove that Million Dollar highway through the best and worst possible road conditions. They drove that road through some of the worst snow storms possible. Guess what, their still alive and still driving.

We've driven that section several times. We've done it with three different motor homes, all towing Jeeps. And, speaking of Jeeping, the Ouray-Silverton area has some of the most spectacular Jeeping roads/trails there are. You even get to climb above the actual tree line. Trees can't grow over that line, man, that's weird.

Anyway, that route is one beautiful drive. Outstandingly scenic. There are RVs towing on it every day. It has some seriously steep climbs and, on the back side, decents. So, do make sure that your brakes are in great shape and or your EXHAUST BRAKE or, COMRESSION BRAKE are working correctly. You'll have no problems. There are pull-off sections for slow moving vehicles but, they are few and far between so, take that into account. Good luck and, be safe on the rest of that great career.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Always difficult to give others recommendations on technical stretches of road.

Sure, the mechanical capabilities of the coach are important.

But, at least as important is the driver and their skill at handling large vehicles in technical driving conditions.

Describing your background and coach, I would foresee no problems. You will be using the up/down arrows and exhaust/engine brake A LOT.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
550 from Durango to Silverton is not bad, its the section from Silverton to Ouray that scares some folks (red mtn pass). I drive over it all the time in either my MH or 5'er, but I've been driving up & down Co mountains for 30 yrs. The switch back turns, steep drop off, exposure and lack of guard rail scare some folks. In reality the scariest part is other drivers inexperienced with mountain driving. If you were a trucker you know the type that burns out their brakes and don't slow down for sharp turns,
The alt route is 145/62.
Jim

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Million Dollar Highway was a feature one week on America's Deadliest Roads (or was it Worlds Deadliest Roads) Anyway it was a feature. I drove it once going South in a 36ft gas MH with towed. Beautiful but for me it was hell on wheels. Steep tight turns, shear drops, no rails, OMG. I've driven it a few times since in the car, leaving the rig in the campground at Durango, a really lovely drive through beautiful country. That said, you obvious have much more experience than I, Trucks do make that route regularly (another reason for the white knuckles as you can meet a big rig at a steep tight turn). If and when I travel that way again I would go around on the 25 and across. The last few trips to that area took us from Flagstaff up to Durango, then we use the car to travel to Orway and Silverton.
Happy Trails.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Many do it including 18 wheelers. I DON'T! lol. Been RV'in since 1971 all over the country. Its the ONLY road that scares me. I've driven it between Ouray & Silverton in our Jeep. There are a few places where there is NO Guardrail because there is no rooom to put one. The hyway... white line...the edge...the ravine. You'll be on these areas north or south because the road switches across the valley to the other side. I always go from Delores up Rt.145/62 into Ridgeway and south on 550. Beautiful route. I hope you're gonna do some off-road Jeepin. If you do, check about trails at any Jeep rental place. Stay off 'Black Bear' 4x4 trail! Experienced Jeepers have died on it.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've driven it many times with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. But then, we enjoy these kinds of drives.

It sounds like you're an experienced driver with big rigs so I doubt you'd have a technical problem driving it. However, if heights bother you - or your passenger - the alternate route is going over to Cortez and heading north toward Telluride. It's still a mountain highway but a tad milder!

We also love staying in Silverton and doing the awesome 4-wheeling routes out of there. Durango to Silverton is no issue. The part some folks don't like is from Silverton to Ouray. To us, Silverton is a more scenic and fun town than Ouray.

Have fun! It's one of our absolute favorite areas.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
A US highway, it's a main north/south route. There are few guard rails, but it is a good road. The only issues are psychological! If you pay attention to the lines and posted speed limits, you will be fine!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same reservations when I drove over that route in a 37' Class A without a towed. It was fine. Couldn't understand what the fuss was about. I was heading to Silverton thru Durango and the climb into Silverton was much more of a trial.

BTW, try to stop in Silverton. What a fun town for a RV tourist. RV parks there, most of the town is walkable. Historic. Take the train ride into Durango and the bus back. That's lots of fun. Beautiful scenery in Silverton. I stayed a week and loved the place.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.