cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Combining Verizon MiFi and Sprint

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
With the advent of superior calling plans $$ from Sprint and the extensive coverage of Verizon, I've been considering using Sprint as the primary with Verizon MiFi with Skype as secondary. Has anyone used this or a similar plan while traveling?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
6 REPLIES 6

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Had Sprint phones for over 15 years with great contract. Also had Verizon data which worked great as we've been fulltiming almost eight years. During that time we finally got tired of Sprints promises to upgrade the system which they never did. Gave up on them and went totally with Verizon. If your traveling and wanted better coverage I would look into AT&T and Verizon together. Verizon is number one with AT&T close behind and should fill in any gaps.

"Hapy Trails"
Chiefneon

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
The Sprint coverage map is VERY misleading. When you first look at it , there is a LOT of deep purple across the USA. But if you drill down just one or two clicks to zoom into it... the coverage quickly disappears as most of it is on roaming.

If you are thinking of getting a hotspot (mifi) device from Sprint for use during traveling... just be aware that they will not work on roaming. the most you will be able to use it for is 100mb-300mb before you get nothing.

ATT and Verizon are the only way to go - for using internet on the road.
Kathy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same combo as you (Sprint/Verzion) many years ago and ended up just going with Verizon. We travel to the Southwest and we couldn't get good Sprint coverage in the Tri State! I don't know about Sprints coverage in Western Arizona if it's gotten any better? Verizon has improved a lot in the Tri State. So currently we are going with Verizon/ ATT. We have no contract with Verizon, just month to month. And my wife uses ATT for her I-Pad Air 2 with a month to month no contract.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had great coverage with StraightTalk/Walmart and their no contract monthly plans.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much depends on where you will be using the services. Where we go in the NW Verizon is the preferred service by most.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out west where we live and RV most we have found Sprint to be the most lacking in coverage as we also thought their plans were priced right. Verizon is the best in our neck of the woods followed by ATT.

Heck, even our back-up Tracfone gives much better coverage than our Sprint phone does. I imagine Sprint has better capabilities is denser populated areas but we are planning to change to the no contract Verizon phones next month. We can't be out RVing and not have cell service in case our kids need to get a hold of us.