cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Composting Toilet

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you have a composting toilet in your B? If so, how do you like it? What brand do you have? Did you install it yourself, or was it a professional install?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
5 REPLIES 5

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
Ic0338 wrote "These guy's like it for RV... I believe ........ only needs a little 12volt fan power... "

I learned something new, the composting part sounds interesting, the liquid waste would go into a smaller black tank I suppose. Don't know about duming the compost portion into the lake after it's become compost though.

I believe the dumping in water was for compost toilets installed in a boat... and you have to be way off shore in the correct body of water. A whole other discussion that I know nothing about.

The compost toilet has 2 sections. When you sit down on the throne there is a funnel in the front part that diverts the urine to a separate collection tank. Some people apparently let this drain into their black tank so they don't have to dump the smaller urine tank as often while others then connect the black tank to the grey tank and have expanded capacity for the grey water, after the compost toilet is installed. I've looked at it (compost toilet) but have not pulled the trigger. I like to boondock most of the time and black tank waste is a problem when boondocking. The other option is using something like a "wag bag" which uses a treatment which gels the waste and then can be discarded with regular trash. the wag bags get expensive over time but may be more cost effective unless you are full time rv and boondocking the majority of the time.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Ic0338 wrote "These guy's like it for RV... I believe ........ only needs a little 12volt fan power... "

I learned something new, the composting part sounds interesting, the liquid waste would go into a smaller black tank I suppose. Don't know about dumping the compost portion into the lake after it's become compost though.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
From what I've heard, composting toilets aren't really meant for RV use, the one's that I've been acquainted with were in campgrounds where electricity was available as the system depends on heat to convert the disposal into ashes. Maybe there are some newer systems around that I haven't heard of yet. Might be an expensive conversion and depends on some sort of heat source (solar, battery, etc).
Composting toilet, not incinerator toilet. No help at all.

Natures Head is the most common one used for RV applications.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've heard, composting toilets aren't really meant for RV use, the one's that I've been acquainted with were in campgrounds where electricity was available as the system depends on heat to convert the disposal into ashes. Maybe there are some newer systems around that I haven't heard of yet. Might be an expensive conversion and depends on some sort of heat source (solar, battery, etc).