cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a Winnebago Profile (2 slide)

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to downsize from a DP. Need a full-time, walk around bed. Considering a Winnebago View (Profile) with the rear slide out bed. It seems like a workable floor-plan. It is rated to tow 5000 lb. with the V6 diesel. That sounds a little optimistic. Any thoughts about how well it might do it?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)
9 REPLIES 9

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a Class C Winnebago Access. You need room and a Ford V10 engine. I have a 2002 Winnebago Minnie bought new and still running great.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
masterge wrote:
burgess001 wrote:
Looking to downsize from a DP. Need a full-time, walk around bed. Considering a Winnebago View (Profile) with the rear slide out bed. It seems like a workable floor-plan. It is rated to tow 5000 lb. with the V6 diesel. That sounds a little optimistic. Any thoughts about how well it might do it?

As for towing rating of the View/Navion, I hear it is only 5K if virtually empty. That is why other manufactures using the MBS chassis have it set at 3500. It can do 5K but so can the others if they are empty.

As for View/Navion quality, I was extremely disappointed. Everything looks nice in internet videos and pics, but in person it was quite disappointing,

I also compared side-by-side and in person today the Renegade Villagios. Quite the difference in apparent quality between the two. Cabinetry was superb. Prices are about the same. Configurations are the same, but Villagios do not have a bed-0ver-cab option if that is important to you.

I now need to look at a Solera or Forester MBS. Both have full fiberglass roof like View and Villagio. If build quality is halfway decent, it will be worth saving the 15-20K for an identically capable MBS Class C/B+.

How much does the Renegade Villagio cost? I did look at FR RVs while researching and once I started looking behind panels and under things the build quality just wasn't there, IMO. Granted, this was 5 years ago and things change.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
burgess001 wrote:

When fully laden (~11,000 lbs) you will not have that 5,000 lbs available as the max combined weight rating is about 15,000. I pull a toad that's a bit under 3,000 lbs
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of downsizing from a DP to a Class C. I am coming from a 36' 2007 Holiday Rambler with 4 slides, 400 HP Cummins ISL. After looking around, I chose a Forest River Sunseeker 3050 DS which has 1 full wall slide. I liked the FR because it uses the Ford e450 cutaway which has a tow rating of 7500 lbs plus a full queen sized bed with room to walk around. I ordered my FR from the factory and it should be finished in a week or so.

We just didn't get out enough to justify keeping the DP. The annual maintenance, plus the payment, insurance, etc. just was too much. Now, I'll have half the payment, 65% reduction in insurance, and I won't feel bad having it sit for long periods.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. the DSDP is not selling quickly. Everyone wants a steal when buying from an individual. Of course, the dealers ALWAYS want a steal, but I would too. So, I may end up keeping it and doing Arizona again this winter. That wouldn't be so bad, now would it?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: masterge

"As for towing rating of the View/Navion, I hear it is only 5K if virtually empty. That is why other manufactures using the MBS chassis have it set at 3500. It can do 5K but so can the others if they are empty.

As for View/Navion quality, I was extremely disappointed. Everything looks nice in internet videos and pics, but in person it was quite disappointing,"

Actually the tow rating is not with a virtually empty rig. The GCWR of the rig is 15250# and the GVWR of the rig is 11030# leaving a tow rating of 4220# Our View weighs 9400# empty so it has an OCC capacity of 1630# on the coach. My wife and I came from truck campers so we know how to load very lightly. We tow a Subaru Cross Trek (3100#) behind it and the rig has no problems handling it. Goes right down the road and I'm usually in the 13 to 14 MPG range with the toad in tow and higher without.

As far as the quality we have no complaints on ours. We have had a few problems but none of them caused by Winnebago. They have all been from other manufacturers that Winnebago used.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has good electrical/plumbing schematics. If you don't mind not having those, and a different type of fiberglass roof, the Solara/Forester MBS/Sunseeker MBS is a decent unit.

I'd personally give one a look-see. I would rate FR below Winnebago... but the price difference may make it worth it. Only the buyer can really decide this.

masterge
Explorer
Explorer
burgess001 wrote:

As for towing rating of the View/Navion, I hear it is only 5K if virtually empty. That is why other manufactures using the MBS chassis have it set at 3500. It can do 5K but so can the others if they are empty.

As for View/Navion quality, I was extremely disappointed. Everything looks nice in internet videos and pics, but in person it was quite disappointing,

I also compared side-by-side and in person today the Renegade Villagios. Quite the difference in apparent quality between the two. Cabinetry was superb. Prices are about the same. Configurations are the same, but Villagios do not have a bed-0ver-cab option if that is important to you.

I now need to look at a Solera or Forester MBS. Both have full fiberglass roof like View and Villagio. If build quality is halfway decent, it will be worth saving the 15-20K for an identically capable MBS Class C/B+.

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
They are excellent.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT