cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter Question,,,

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
I tested what the converter does and does not do in the mh today,,, it runs lights just fine but none of the outlets work. Is there something to explain this or is that the way it is? I thought you could still use the outlets? :?
12 REPLIES 12

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for some good answers! I do have one inverter up in a cupboard,, I haven't tried plugging anything in it yet. Just trying to learn all the stuff in there! I think the fridge is dead now,replaced a bad fuse and it ran briefly and then that darn red x showed up again! It wont run on the lp either. I guess a trip to the local appliance repair shop will be in order before our next camping trip. We noticed a few people at the last campground set up small dorm type fridges outside their campers.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Are you plugged into shore power?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
@OP, when the manual says the converter will run the lights and accessories, it means the bathroom vent fan, the control circuits for the 'fridge and the furnace, along with anything else that is 12v DC powered. It does NOT mean the 120 v AC outlets. These are fed ONLY from the 120 v AC shore power or the generator, if you have one.

So what you found was normal. Nothing is amiss, the problem was simply your expectations were incorrect.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple block diagram for RV's with just converters

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
moon.lake wrote:
Oh sorry, I meant converter! The brand I am not sure of at the moment. But does the converter only run the lights? Because in the georgie boy manual it says it will run lights and accessories, which I assumed meant the outlets.

Converter does absolutely nothing unless plugged in. Electric that works is running direct on battery power.

No 120v outlets unless you add an inverter. Accesories means 12v slide, 12v fridge controls, 12v thermostat to control furnace, 12v lights, 12v water heater control, 12v water pump, 12v fans, 12v radio.... etc.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
converter which you have takes 110volts (from shore power or generator) and makes 12volts to charge battery banks. run all 12 volt things, (lights,controls for refrig., water heater, heater, propane alarms,) etc.
Inverter which I don't think you have, takes 12 volt power from the battery bank and makes 110 volt.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
All it does is charge the Batteries and power 12 Volt Lights ,Fans etc. it does Notprovide power to the 120 Volt Outlets.
That said as long as You are plugged in or running a Genset there should e power to the Outlets!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
Oh sorry, I meant converter! The brand I am not sure of at the moment. But does the converter only run the lights? Because in the georgie boy manual it says it will run lights and accessories, which I assumed meant the outlets.

MrWizard
IF you are talking about 'ALL' your interior lights

you are talking about 12vdc lights, yes even the small florescent's in the ceiling

they run directly from the 12v batteries, the 'converter' charges the batteries
when plugged into shore power OR when the generator is running

IF you can watch a 21" TV, without generator or shore power, then you likely have an inverter that powers the 'entertainment' outlet and maybe one in the bedroom
BUT Not the whole RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have a 97 Georgie Boy - a gasser, most likely you have a converter not an inverter. Converter will take 120V power (shore power) and charge up your batteries which in turn provide 12V to your general 12V lights. Will not provide power to the outlets.

To get good answers you need to provide more information such as make/model of rig, type of converter and/or inverter, whether or not you are plugged into shore power or not, etc.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Inverter or Converter? Post the component brand and model for best answers.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

How did you connect the inverter? What make and model of inverter? How many watts?

This page may help you understand:

http://rvroadtrip.us/library/12v_system.php
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.