Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coolant tank for Allegro bus

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there everyone,

DW and I have a 2003 Allegro Bus motorhome. Just inside the grate for the engine compartment is a Plastic overflow tank for the radiator. It has sprung a leak just above the Minimum line on the tank.

I understand this can happen to these tank because of the UV rays they are exposed too. Does anyone have any idea where we might find a place where we won't pay an arm and a leg to get a replacement one of these tanks. I've tried looking at ebay and Amazon and haven't found anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy Camping! Eric and Carol Anderson
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Blog
27 REPLIES 27

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
That's the same as mine. The Freightliner replacement is $130.00 and pretty easy to replace. The mounting brackets are not exact, but if you are handy you can remake the existing brackets to work.

http://s467.photobucket.com/user/gatordave48/media/IMG_0332_zps1651604e.jpg.html

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr38/gatordave48/IMG_0331_zps36cdb17f.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr38/gatordave48/IMG_0330_zpsd11ccba2.jpg

You can see where I had to extend one hose.

Good Luck

Dave

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
I've replaced a tank that is exactly like that. It's really fairly easy. On mine, it bolted right up.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is not like that.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there Everyone,

Here is what the tank looks like. Anyone ever replaced a tank similar to this?

We talked to our local Freightliner dealer and they said the metalic replacement surge tank will run about $750.00 plus labor to replace. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so this one doesn't really scare me, but I didn't know if I need to do any major bracket adjustments. I don't have ready access to grinders or welders.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks! Happy Camping! - Eric --
Our Blog

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2002 Frieghtliner/CAT had the same issue. We ordered a new one from Frieghtliner and the last time we were in Gaffney they changed it. We figured it was good insurance to have it done before it broke wide open.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I tried using the JB Weld 'Marine' on the tank and it failed shortly after the engine got hot. I guess we should have tried the JB weld 'High heat'. The only problem was, it said nothing on the label about working on 'Plastic' Oh well.

I'll be calling Sacramento Truck center (Freightliner dealer) about getting a new one. I was told all i have to do is provide them a VIN and they can figure it out for me.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks! - Eric -
Our Blog

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic will get brittle and bust. I dropped a plastic container one day and it shattered like glass.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
Love JB Weld...but risking a $20K engine for $130 is kind of lame. Some folks here are confusing surge tank and overflow tank. Surge is usually 16 psi and real hot water vs. no pressure overflow tank. Metal is far better if available.

Yep, I am referring to patching the overflow tank, no pressure.

Spartan uses a metal tank for the overflow pressurized vessel.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The one I had replaced was the one on the upper right hand corner on that picture. It is an overflow, but UV does effect them. Fact I was adding some anti freeze on mine this morning and noticed that UV is starting to flake some of the ridges. So I will probably have to replace it again pretty soon. But the fireman is correct that on a Freightliner it is not the shape of a football.

Everything on my coach is exactly like that picture except my hood is a lot bigger and goes all the way down on the end cap exposing the fuel filter for easy change out.
2017 Buick Envision

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
luvdoggiez,
As usual, there's confusion on just exactly what tank we're talking about. I've checked several times before and after the replacing of my "surge" tank, and there isn't, at least up to a short while ago, ANY STEEL REPLACEMENT TANK for the tank in the picture below. That tank, is used by Freightliner and, in many different coaches. It is not "football shaped". It has specific mounting points and, specific hose attaching places and sizes. It's also set up for a sensor.

Now, while I have "patched" many things in my life and, for the most part have gotten away with it, there is no way in he... that I'd patch this one. This tank IS under pressure, for about 99.9999% of the time that you're running down the road. Many of you have noticed on yours the multi-cracking etc. from all areas exposed to the elements. Well, the chemical structure of that tank is now altered. It is in no way, as structurally "sound" as it was when in the new stage. It was much more pliable and resistant to the elements/heat/cold/cycles etc.

But, now, it's old, cracked and seriously weaker. You may get away with "patching" for a while but, that area you patched is the only strong portion of the tank. Don't get me wrong here, as I've stated, I've "patched" many things in life and I too have gotten away with it. But, not something with critical characteristics as this.

Heck, I even looked into fabricating one up out of aluminum. I've got all the tools to do it but, Freightliner had that tank, less than 24 hours away from me and, it was $130.00. I figured, just buy it! Mine was cracked and seriously weather checked but, was not leaking. But, I didn't want it to START leaking while I was not only out on the road on a trip/vacation but, away from home and all my tools and equipment/place to do the work, to change it out.

It's up to you. Nobody said maintaining these rolling KLEENEX boxes was going to be cheap. Some things you just have to bite the bullet and do it right! Good luck.
Scott
Is yours the same as the one in the right upper corner of the pic below?

For a minute there I thought that you had posted a photo of our rig!!

Thanks all for the "heads up" on UV deterioration. I know very well that it occurs but have never given any thought to this one, or the hydraulic reservoir below it. :S When it gets back from the shop I'm going to give them both a close inspection. Hate to lose one or both in the middle of Nowhere, Mexico next winter! :E

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
luvdoggiez,
As usual, there's confusion on just exactly what tank we're talking about. I've checked several times before and after the replacing of my "surge" tank, and there isn't, at least up to a short while ago, ANY STEEL REPLACEMENT TANK for the tank in the picture below. That tank, is used by Freightliner and, in many different coaches. It is not "football shaped". It has specific mounting points and, specific hose attaching places and sizes. It's also set up for a sensor.

Now, while I have "patched" many things in my life and, for the most part have gotten away with it, there is no way in he... that I'd patch this one. This tank IS under pressure, for about 99.9999% of the time that you're running down the road. Many of you have noticed on yours the multi-cracking etc. from all areas exposed to the elements. Well, the chemical structure of that tank is now altered. It is in no way, as structurally "sound" as it was when in the new stage. It was much more pliable and resistant to the elements/heat/cold/cycles etc.

But, now, it's old, cracked and seriously weaker. You may get away with "patching" for a while but, that area you patched is the only strong portion of the tank. Don't get me wrong here, as I've stated, I've "patched" many things in life and I too have gotten away with it. But, not something with critical characteristics as this.

Heck, I even looked into fabricating one up out of aluminum. I've got all the tools to do it but, Freightliner had that tank, less than 24 hours away from me and, it was $130.00. I figured, just buy it! Mine was cracked and seriously weather checked but, was not leaking. But, I didn't want it to START leaking while I was not only out on the road on a trip/vacation but, away from home and all my tools and equipment/place to do the work, to change it out.

It's up to you. Nobody said maintaining these rolling KLEENEX boxes was going to be cheap. Some things you just have to bite the bullet and do it right! Good luck.
Scott
Is yours the same as the one in the right upper corner of the pic below?
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Love JB Weld...but risking a $20K engine for $130 is kind of lame. Some folks here are confusing surge tank and overflow tank. Surge is usually 16 psi and real hot water vs. no pressure overflow tank. Metal is far better if available.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
JB Weld Water Weld has been keeping my plastic tank leak free for 3 years.

Just saying....
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I had one replaced several years back in Albuquerque Freight liner, and I believe my extended insurance at that time payed something like $90.00 It was like the original made out of plastic. It got like a pin hole on it.
2017 Buick Envision