cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of front brakes??

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
We just had our front brakes and calipers done. What would an avg cost be for a ford F53 chassis? We were charged $150 for the pads, $302 for the calipers and 3 hours labor @ $95 per so it was like $750 and we thought it was high? It is the 1st time we had it done since getting our class A in April of '12 and its a 2002 with 16,000 miles on it! Thanks for all input!!
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!”
10 REPLIES 10

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
The need for a brake job after only 16k miles would likely suggest that the caliper slides had frozen up or other mechanical issue.

Would be interested in knowing what the shop said was the reason for the failure.

He did say they were sticking and binding up. But we live in NY and the road salt reply is a good bet to me.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!”

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this job myself a few months ago Pads, Calipers, Rotors and Flex Brake Lines and I had about $450 in parts. All my parts came from Car Quest auto parts. You can find most of there parts on line, Ford did not have them, Told me to go with after market. Go figure.
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
The need for a brake job after only 16k miles would likely suggest that the caliper slides had frozen up or other mechanical issue.

Would be interested in knowing what the shop said was the reason for the failure.

I do nearly all my own mechanical work. When I used to live in the Chicago area I learned to replace my caliper assembly on my Caravan at every second brake job (I'd typically get about 35K out of my front brake pads). The problem was the winter road salt would get into the calipers and cause the pistons to stick and bind. Living here in Texas it's a different story. My current Caravan has 145K on it and still has the original caliper assemblies.
Steve

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
For the front pads and calipers on our E450 Chassis, I paid $446 for the parts from Ford. Labor was my own in the driveway, but 2-3 hours seems reasonable.

I did the job at 80,000 miles because I thought one of the calipers was sticking. The pads had lots of friction material left, but I changed them anyway.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the fronts see if they also repacked the front wheel bearings and put in new seals. As long as they had it apart.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
It was just for the front brake pads and calipers no back breaks were needed. And I know they cleaned the roters and sensors. I don't think they flush the fluid but will ask when I get it in a few hours.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here locally the pad are around $66 for the pair and almost the same for each side rebuild. New ones are $128 each exchange. 16000 miles is not much for this vehicle to need new front or rear brakes.

jcgribks
Explorer
Explorer
Here's prices from O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Front pads - $26.99 and $29.99 for semi-metallic and $94.99 for carbon metallic.

Front calipers - $73.99 - 122.99 depending on mfg and mounting locating (rear mount or forward mount).

3 hrs labor @ $95 = $285

They also probably charged you list price on all parts which would be higher that these prices.
$122.99 x 2 = $245.90 + $94.99 + 285 = $625.89 + tax and shop supplies.

I don't understand why you needed brakes anyway with only 16,000 miles on it.
1996 Itasca Suncruiser 34RQ, P32 w/ 454 TBI, Banks Air Intake, Harris Towmaster Performance Chip pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

V10guy
Explorer
Explorer
The recall on my front brakes was just done on my WH. It was $350 for two new calipers including labor(no pads were done). Yours sounds a little high, but doesn't seem outrageous...

Did they flush the brake fluid too?
Wife and I, 3 Kids(10, 9 & 6) 2003 Forest River Windsong 32' 8.1L Workhorse w/Allison. TOAD coming soon...