cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to install apparatus for Flat-towing

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
While I've had and used a Tow Dolly for a couple years, I've always found it inconvenient, requiring me to have storage when not in use. As a result, been considering replacing this with a towing apparatus for my Class A, and called Camping World to research, and get an estimate...

WHOA!

At $5,400+, it was quite a bit more than I anticipated... but is it accurate? Looking for input, experience, and anything else that will help me decide if this is an option I should consider...

At this price, I think I'd continue with the dolly...

Your thoughts?

Thanks, MIchael
53 REPLIES 53

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Michael:

You have received information on several different types of set-ups and costs already so now your task is to do more research on the specific types you are interested in. Perhaps you have already did your due diligence but, here''s my 2 cents if you have not. I would suggest you direct your search to the type of coach you have-gas vs diesel and the type of toad. The reason I suggest to limit your search to specific vehicles is that some systems are easier to install than others depending upon what you have (does your toad need a transmission lube pump, anything additional to make it 4 down towable, etc.) and the type of Class A rig you are pulling it with makes a difference too. All systems have owners who have had great performance or equally unfortunate issues. Find your comfort level with the choice you make and then inspect your set-up frequently while towing-nothing is fool-proof.

One addition that most systems make optional is a coach indicator that notifies you when the toad brakes are being applied. This in my opinion is a MUST and will help to eliminate many of the problems you hear about when using any of the brake/tow bar systems. There's a difference in those indicator systems too so, pay attention to how they operate and again, make your choice on what will work best for your situation.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
Executive wrote:
Are you buying everything new? I bought a used ReadyBrute that looked brand new for $250. Had Night Shift Auto go through it at a rally and they said it'd hardly been used. Bought the baseplate directly from BlueOx for a little over $300. Wiring harness was around $200. So for less than $1k I'm ready to roll. I've been using it for 11 years now and it's still working well. So, I'm into it for less than $100/yr.....Dennis

You don't mention a brake system. Did you do anything for that? What was the cost on that? I suppose you can say your $1K makes it towable, but for me I would need a braking system.

Check the NightShiftAuto website and read about the ReadyBrute. It incorporates the braking system INTO the tow bar itself via surge braking. Nothing extra to buy, nothing extra to fiddle with. That said, I've also incorporated the ReadyStop into my system. This device ensures the brakes on the toad will automatically deploy if it's separated from the coach. No runaway vehicle.....Dennis

ReadyBrute Link
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
To explain my thinking, which I should not have to do, I bought a used tow bar many years ago. While driving down the road I noticed a strange wobble in the rear view camera. It wasn't bad and it didn't effect the drive or the ride. We arrived at an RV rally and took this name brand tow bar to the manufacturer to check it out. One side of the tow bar had completely failed and the only choice was replacement. I agreed and went with another brand as I did not like the design of this manufacturer. Oh yea, New! Never used again. I became a big Blue Ox fan once I dumped the other. 😛
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Ludicrous? its the same scenario! If I worried that much about everything I wouldn't leave the house!

Maybe you should not!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are mny choices available to us. We had to go the route we took because I'm 100% DAV and time and age adds to the disability.
I wwould have to do research but if I could have done it my seelf, I'm sure I could have saved half, and more, perhaps.l
We chose Roadmasterwhich cost more, as at thetiem it was only avaiable through Dealers and fair traded, because Blue ox base plates, mounts to the towed had a reputation of coming apart, and the Roadmaster air brake.
Wee would have changed the airbrake to an Air Raid possibly but out towed gave out and the Dealer got a new base eplate etc and used our old brake system for a total cost of about 800.00 change over, this time,I am thinking at the moment.
A Jeep or F150 etc can or could have the towing hardware purchased and installed for just a few dollars. The new construction of crush zones etc by NHTSA I don't know. Wiring doesn't cost mcuh but correct installaation does at probably 100.00 to 125.00 an hour. An hour anyway to do it right.Air brake and under hood reservoir, and the in car brake ram and mount was not cheap.
If you get the opportnitty to decide to where to mount the 4 pin or 6 pin, corrd to your vehiclee and an air brake hose get it up high as itis now takes me a long time and struggle to hook them up, just to plug them in with a ruputred disc toward my left side.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
His money, his choice. I do not understand why several are spouting off about how he wants to run his life. Maybe if you walked in his shoes a few miles you would have a different perspective.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ludicrous? its the same scenario! If I worried that much about everything I wouldn't leave the house!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
SNORE! As I said, no offense meant to anyone. By the way, if I don't maintain the equipment or keep it beyond its intended life, that's my bad as well. I have had my equipment properly serviced over the years and replaced some of that equipment when required. I have no idea how a previous owner of equipment maintained that equipment. Comparing used towing equipment to a used car is simply ludicrous.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
While I mean no disrespect to anyone who has previously posted, I am not buying any used equipment from anyone for any reason to tow a car. What if it goes bad and the car gets loose and kills someone? Yep, saved $1000 but I am now broke due to all the lawsuits. At least if everything is new and installed by professionals I have some legal cushion to fall back on. I will also sleep really, really well every night knowing that what is installed on my coach is the best quality and done the way the company specs require.

So I guess you have never bought a used car?

If you are that worried about all that then you should never leave the house!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if I buy new, use it ten years, it gets worn out and fails, you’ll be ok?

Have you heard of anybody that’s has been sued for equipment failure?

Bald tires? Overweight?

Insurance pays for all that. Civil suits happen but they are rare.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I mean no disrespect to anyone who has previously posted, I am not buying any used equipment from anyone for any reason to tow a car. What if it goes bad and the car gets loose and kills someone? Yep, saved $1000 but I am now broke due to all the lawsuits. At least if everything is new and installed by professionals I have some legal cushion to fall back on. I will also sleep really, really well every night knowing that what is installed on my coach is the best quality and done the way the company specs require.

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a Blue Ox base plate and Avail tow bar and Patriot II brake controller, all new and installed by the dealer I bought the MH from, it was $4200 Canadian (roughly $3000 USD) a year and a half ago, and yes I got a good deal on the MH after shopping around for months.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag 🙂

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Ready Brute tow bar with built in braking. $1000.

I installed myself after watching YouTube. Most body shops would do it for a few hours labor.

Magnetic lights $20.

Demco base plates $350.

This assumes a flat towable car. In my case, a Honda Element.

Main point is don’t pay $1000 or more for aux braking.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toornot2
Explorer
Explorer
cost for subura outback blue ok tow bar craigs list $150 base plate from blue ox $180.00 cost to install base plate at body shop $100 magnetic tow lights with wire harness from harbor freight $40.00 legal to go for $470 have towed 70000 miles no problems

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Jeep Liberty and purchased a Blue Ox baseplate and towbar with everything needed for about 2500.00 installed. Works great. This included the Demco SMI Stay and Play brake assist.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)