cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost to re-pack wheel bearings on Class A?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody paid to get their wheel bearings re-packed on a Class A? Prices?

We got a quote for $450 for all our bearings (we're 40-feet 2008 HR Endeavor RR8R Chassis, 2 tires up-front, 4 tires in the back), or $596 to change to oil-fill.

Is this in the ball-park?
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us
34 REPLIES 34

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:
I changed my old heap to oil hubs

I like that. What chassis and where did you find parts? I've looked off and on, heard people have done it but never found the parts.

Thanks

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my old heap to oil hubs and it cost me $160.
That included new wheel bearings and races and Stemco seals and cap.
Since I done it my self and got the parts at reasonable prices, $500 doesn't sound too bad installed.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Won't rust. We had trailers sit for months and hooke on them at Rubbermaid in OH, they had used them for storage, lots of flats but no rusty bearings.

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Most passenger cars and light trucks have sealed bearings now that can't be repacked.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
timmac wrote:
Why is it that motorhomes want to repack every 36000 miles but my Jeep or Nissan has no issues with this, can someone chime in on this..

My coach weighs 40,000 lbs. (20 tons), how much does your Jeep/Nissan weigh?

MM.

Not sure what the difference in weight has to do with this as the bearings are way different in size too.

I own a bunch of different trailers... 10+ and I never repack the wheel bearings. BUT every couple years I pull the caps and if the grease is hard I fill the cap half full of 90 weight gear oil and put it back on. This softens the grease up and let it get into the bearings better.

Like the OP, I have grease front bearings on my 04 MH. By drilling a 1.2" hole in the side of the wheel bearings caps (took them off) I can add 90 weight gear oil and I have some plastic hose caps that seal the 1/2" hole. Every couple of years I add a couple ounces of 90 and as long as the front wheels do not sling any grease... I do not worry about repacking. Like JetA I check their temperature with a infrared thermometer occasionally at stops plus the brakes and all the tires.

Ivy, that was actually my point. Heavy duty vehicles will have a different maintenance schedule than a passenger car or light duty truck.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr.Mark wrote:
timmac wrote:
Why is it that motorhomes want to repack every 36000 miles but my Jeep or Nissan has no issues with this, can someone chime in on this..

MM.

Not sure what the difference in weight has to do with this as the bearings are way different in size too.

I own a bunch of different trailers... 10+ and I never repack the wheel bearings. BUT every couple years I pull the caps and if the grease is hard I fill the cap half full of 90 weight gear oil and put it back on. This softens the grease up and let it get into the bearings better.

Like the OP, I have grease front bearings on my 04 MH. By drilling a 1.2" hole in the side of the wheel bearings caps (took them off) I can add 90 weight gear oil and I have some plastic hose caps that seal the 1/2" hole. Every couple of years I add a couple ounces of 90 and as long as the front wheels do not sling any grease... I do not worry about repacking. Like JetA I check their temperature with a infrared thermometer occasionally at stops plus the brakes and all the tires.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW here are my thoughts on repacking bearings. The manufacturers guide lines for long haul service is 120,000 miles. If you use them short haul, meaning lots of brake use, they are 60,000. Grease does deteriorate, but not at the rate of oil which has an additive package that ages out.

My experience with bearings, trailers and cars/trucks is they last a long time. My Dad had a front bearing on '62 Valiant that failed and it sang about it for along time until it was fixed. I've never had a failure in 45 years of maintaining vehicle. Engineering wise bearings are made of similar material. If they carry big loads they make them bigger so the metal is carrying the same psi load. Small load small bearing.

I check their temperature with a infrared thermometer occasionally at stops. As long as they are close to the same temp, then no worries, down the road.

YMMV
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

dvg045
Explorer
Explorer
Rear wheel bearings are oil lubricated from the oil in the differential and do not need to be repacked. Front wheel bearings do and you can ask the shop what they charge for a front bearing repack.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
nina_70 wrote:
timmac wrote:
Is it really necessary to repack at 30,000 miles, I would think if the motorhome sat for years than yes but 30,000 miles and 5-6 years old I have never seen or heard of a problem, I would just wait till its time for front brakes..

This is a question I struggle with too. According to our manual we are due for a repack since we're now running our 4th year, even though we've only got 20, 000 miles on the rig. But when I read around the forums I see many people waiting until much later. There doesn't seem to be much consistency on this.

Preventative maintenance never hurts anything. You're going to pay either now, or later. If, by doing it a bit "a head of time" (depending on what, if any, schedule you have)you not only take care of it but, you may head-off any possible issues that may increase in damage by the time your "Schedule" is up and you then dive into it. I'm not saying or guaranteeing you'll see or find anything if you take it on early, chances are, you'll find nothing out of the ordinary.

But, due to the weight these bearings support and the stress they're under, even with normal driving situations, they have an ugly life to live. If, you're not the type that does your own work, then it's up to you to have it done when you choose. You'll pay now or later.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Is it really necessary to repack at 30,000 miles, I would think if the motorhome sat for years than yes but 30,000 miles and 5-6 years old I have never seen or heard of a problem, I would just wait till its time for front brakes..

This is a question I struggle with too. According to our manual we are due for a repack since we're now running our 4th year, even though we've only got 20, 000 miles on the rig. But when I read around the forums I see many people waiting until much later. There doesn't seem to be much consistency on this.
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

I would think it's partially because the MHs are built on a truck chassis which carrys a heavier load (yes the bearings are rated for heavier weights than cars)and the mfg doesn't always know what their chassis are going to be subjected to versus most cars are kept on the road and are not overloaded. If there are bearing or lubrication problems on a MH, it's a lot more expensive to fix than on a car so they should probalby be checked more often.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Repack the rear bearings? Shouldn't they be lubricated with differential grease? Usually a non maintenance item. I think the mechanic is getting his wallet lubed with too much green.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson