cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I am forced to store my MH outdoors this Winter. I am looking for feedback of a well made cover that will not allow water, ice , snow to penetrate onto the roof. Any suggestions .....I live in Pa. And winters can be very harsh ....thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used a cover in the 10 years I have owned this RV. I do regular maintenance and the RV has held up very well. We do get harsh winters here too, and lots of snow.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ronfisherman
I have a Calmark RV cover for my Super C.
My cover weighs 75lbs. Getting it on roof can be a problem. I have a tractor with Front End Loader. Makes it easy to lift cover unto roof.
Tying cover down is important. My cover has grommets every 2 feet. I install bungee straps from side to side in the grommets.
The bottom of my compartments had a sharp edge. I put stick on molding around outer edge of MH.
I would buy another one if this one wore out.
Bought my cover in 2006. Still use it mostly in the summer. Because we spend winter in the south.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintmxman wrote:
Unfortunately I am forced to store my MH outdoors this Winter. I am looking for feedback of a well made cover that will not allow water, ice , snow to penetrate onto the roof. Any suggestions .....I live in Pa. And winters can be very harsh ....thanks in advance.
I think you have received a bit of experience by others. Let me explain my experience. At the time I owned a Coachman Class A that had a ladder at the rear to get onto the roof. I purchased a $350 ADCO cover (several years ago) that was supposed to fit. First was how to get this cover that must have weighed about 50-75 lbs onto the roof. Finally, I tied a rope around the cover kind of wadded up on the ground. Climbed the ladder with the other end of the rope onto the roof. Then lean over the edge and pull this bundle onto the roof. Keep from tripping over the black tank vent, the fridge vent, the antenna, the roof vents, and the air conditioner. Now try to spread it out and then try to figure out if I should walk on the top of the tarp or be under the tarp. Walked it to the front of the RV and carefully let it drop over the front nose. Then work backward to the rear sometimes under the tarp sometimes on top of the tarp. Now crawl down the ladder while pulling the end of the tarp down the ladder.

Stood on the ground and felt good about it. Then the wind came up and the tarp looked like it was going to be a kite. Had about 30 of those stretchy bungee cords and started going around the coach and strapping the tarp to whatever I found under the motor home. Now the metal "S" hooks were banging against the sides of the motor home and going to damage the paint. Couldn't get inside the motor home because the size fit so good that I could not open the side door. Twice in the middle of winter I had to replace some of the bungee straps as they broke or unhooked or the hooks were gone.

Then Spring arrives and time to take the tarp off the motor home. Had to unhook all the bungees and then climb the ladder under the tarp while pulling the rear panel up with me as best as I could. Then carefully walk around all the obstacles and pull the sides up and forward and finally toss the tarp to the ground in front. All of this might have been easier with a 2nd person.

Success, uncovered the motor home and it looks like it was nice and comfy all winter. The next year, found a building to park it inside. After about 4 years, sold the motor home and gave the buyer a present - "the cover".
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.nationaldiscountcovers.com

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys...what is the best treatment or product on the roof ? It's always been inside when not in use so the rubber roof looks real nice condition wise but I have never treated the roof in any way.
A fire took its shelter for this winter

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

It's not so much the quality of the cover to prevent leaks that is important.

It's all the conditions in which it has to endure. Harsh winters in Wisconsin includes high winds and blizzards that get snow up/under into everything and the cover can rub against the finish of the RV.

The KEY is having a roof that is maintained properly and annually to prevent leaks.

My MH spent 6 grueling winters left out in the elements. I wax my MH each and every month and again right before I put it up for the winter. It has weather all the elements just fine with no damage. I am prudent about removing heavy loads of snow off the roof after snow storms though.

If you think about it there are tens of thousands of RV's parked on dealership lots up north that are never covered. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this subject search this Forum for `RV cover' and read on. I use a Sunshield tarp with black side up held down with bottles of antifreeze.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The general consesus is... some like them and do cover, while others don't and don't cover. I am of the latter camp. Covered my fiver once. After the cover literally fell apart in about three weeks, I took it off and just waxed the heck out of it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I bought a relatively inexpensive Champion RV cover on Ebay.
I knew it wasn't the best but, it has served me well for 6 Pennsylvania winters.
Now, it's time for a replacement.

I don't know if the 'well made' covers will hold up any longer.