cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins 2005 ISL low power AGAIN!

Doug_E_
Explorer
Explorer
What we thought was a sticking exhaust brake on our MH is now a, They don't know. The exhaust brake checked out good and functioning properly.
$515.67 later and Cummins West thinks it could be a faulty turbo.
We can start it up one time and we get full boost (35lbs.), stop for fuel and restart the engine and the boost will only go to (25 lbs.).
I asked if it could be an O2 sensor or an EGR valve, they don't think so.
Would just like it fixed so we can have the reliability back again.

Now they want to put it on the dyno and see if it will give low boost while it's hooked up to the dyno.
39 REPLIES 39

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the clarification steveownby.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
lfeather wrote:
Doug E. wrote:
Ifeather: I appreciate the fact that your 2002 ISL has never produced more than 23 lbs, of boost and that's plenty of power for you.

However when new my 2005 ISL produced 35 lbs. of boost and now it has less, almost no boost when trying to go from a dead stop.

The tech at Cummins West confirmed that it should be producing 35 lbs. of boost with the VGT turbo when working properly.
Thanks for your input though.

Doug

I understand and believe you, No offense intended. I'm just curious about the disparity? Maybe it's year-model?

It is year model. The first serious EPA requirements went into effect for over the road diesels in '04. In late '02 Cummins begin to introduce up dated engines to meet the standard. Between the end of '02 and Jan '04 Cummins put new fuel systems and VG turbos on most of their engines. Boost went up, temps went up MPG went down. It was the first of many requirements.
Larry
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
Doug E. wrote:
Ifeather: I appreciate the fact that your 2002 ISL has never produced more than 23 lbs, of boost and that's plenty of power for you.

However when new my 2005 ISL produced 35 lbs. of boost and now it has less, almost no boost when trying to go from a dead stop.

The tech at Cummins West confirmed that it should be producing 35 lbs. of boost with the VGT turbo when working properly.

Doug

I understand and believe you, No offense intended. I'm just curious about the disparity? Maybe it's year-model?

Larry
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P

Doug_E_
Explorer
Explorer

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 ISL 370 has never produced more than 23 PSI of turbo boost and ithas plenty of power.
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P

Doug_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins West checked pressure on intercooler, I was told it held good at 30 lbs. They also checked all clamps, all were also good.

Ranger Smith: Cummins West is a distributor and repair facility.

Gasman 2: I'm thinking the same thing like electric or sensor not working correctly.

Hershey: It's kind of freaky how one time I start the engine, full boost and the next time it is not. The tech told me 35 lbs. of boost on the ISL Cummins is correct. You wouldn't think loosing 10 lbs. of boost would make that much difference, but from a standing start it won't hardly get going. Granted we always pull a race trailer weighing 6000 pounds.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what Cummins you have but I'd trade my first born for 35 lb of boost ๐Ÿ™‚
Loosing boost usually indicates a hole or opening in the turbo charged air. My boost declined on a recent trip and there was/is a small hose, about an inch and a quarter diameter under the intake manifold that runs from the manifold to the compressor. Easy fix. Also the clamps where any hose is connected to the components in the charged air.
Your being able to get full boost at times would indicate that there is something else causing the problem and not a charged air leakage. Let us know the final diagnosis.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Gasman_2
Explorer
Explorer
Check for leaking intercooler. Have them pressure test when engine at temp
Gasman 2

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
Maybe Cummins West should call tech support at Cummins itself and see if they can figure it out instead of just throwing parts in, taking your money, hope that was the fix.
I was thinking the exact thing. Tech assistance is just a phone call away! You can even call.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Cummins West should call tech support at Cummins itself and see if they can figure it out instead of just throwing parts in, taking your money, hope that was the fix.

Is cummins west just a distributor and repair facility out west or is it the company itself?

Also from other threads here:

You also have an O2 sensor which controls the fuel supply.

Clamps from the charge air cooler was broken
and the engine was sucking air and causing a low power situation
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie