Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash radio died

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully just a power issue?
Our in dash magnadyne is completely dead. No light! Wiring diagram shows a "constant" and a "switched" 12 volt power. I checked both fuses (one in the front run bay, second in the back closet) and they are good. There is a radio switch in the dash that kills the light in the radio when off. Assume the constant for the memory is different since the dash switch doesn't lose the memory.

Wiring diagram seems to indicate an inline fuse, can't find it.

Will pull dash panels to access the radio tomorrow, any tips welcome.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog
16 REPLIES 16

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
mine are just single pole switches. Either being off will kill the radio dead.
I shoulda remembered that...
I've fixed it before without cutting wires.
Insert bashing head into wall smiley here....lol.
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"bullydogs1" ....Good catch on the switch. His must be wired differently than mine was in the Diplomat. Mine was a 2-way switch and neither killed the radio.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
You have a Monaco...Mine has two radio switches and when you flip them..they work like a 3 way...the radio shows dead but holds the time..did you find and check these switches...mine has one in the dash and one in the bedroom on one of the bed sides..if one of these switches is bad or something loose, could be that's cutting it off..check those switches.they say radio on them.

Oh poop. You are 100% on target. Someone hit the switch we never use on my wife's side of the bed.

And I felt so good spending 3 hours working on this...
And even better 30 minutes ago when I cut the wire and spliced it into the lighter power and got the radio working again...

:h

Thanks again. Next time I'm bored I'll connect the original wires up and throw the switch...
hmmm, we need a "whacking head into wall smiley"
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You have a Monaco...Mine has two radio switches and when you flip them..they work like a 3 way...the radio shows dead but holds the time..did you find and check these switches...mine has one in the dash and one in the bedroom on one of the bed sides..if one of these switches is bad or something loose, could be that's cutting it off..check those switches.they say radio on them.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Not a lot of help in the closet. Fuse labelled "dash radio switch" goes to a gray wire, has power there.

Gonna check my wiring diagram CD's, but thinking harder that finding a substitute power source is the best option.
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
damn I hate it when things gotta get complicated.

Found p317 dash radio.
Black wire is ground. Yellow wire 12 VDC constant, has good 12 volts.
Red wire switched 12 volts - nothing there.

Access the back of the radio switch -- wires labelled 12v pos radio and 3 radio pwr --- nothing there.

Dug deeper under the dash. 12 pin connector labelled D4139
there's my purple wire from the front run bay, connects to white wire labelled radio 12v constant. got 12 volts there.

There's my white wire from the radio switch. labelled 12v radio switch...lol. goes to a blue wire. No Joy, no power there.

Guess it's time to go back to the closet.
Starting to think maybe I could just pull this power from one of the lighter sockets and be done?
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are basically 2 places they put the fuse. One is at the radio end of the wire (Usually within six inches of the radio) and the other is at the battery end, (Same six inches).

But if the radio is a factory install they may have gone with a panel fuse instead of an in-line.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
ok. rolling along...

There is a little button on the radio, right side low, between the 5 button and the band button. I can push it with a pen, and when I do I hear what sounds like the cd carriage moving. So some power is getting into the unit.

Front run bay, fuse 66 has 12 volts on each side, goes to F412 pin 4, purple wire. Disconnected connector verified the pin is ok, all looks good.

In the closet, 5 amp fuse labelled "dash radio switch (opt.)" hard to find a ground... popped the panel off, ground to the metal case of the water heater... Good. 12 volts on both sides of the fuse.

Time to go up front. Sure wish it was easier to directly post pics here... A smartphone app with direct from the camera uploads' everything in this would have a picture.
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that Sony radios in autos work very reliably. To each their own though. I would consider replacement if you have to pull it and find issues in the radio (some people fix). I believe that brand has a negative reputation (I can't testify personally).
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
In each of the 3 motorhomes I have owned the Magnadyne radio was about the first thing to go. The last motorhome was new and the radio was so poor I replaced it the after the second trip.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'll try the paper clip trick, verify the power, check the connector. Hopefully today, we pull out tomorrow for the nascar race.

I removed the fuses and tested each is a tester, it lit up. Thought about pulling the meter out and actually verifying voltage, but thinking was it for then.

Never had a lick of trouble with this thing, and actually kinda like it. It has MX, and the buttons and display are big enough that I can see them without my reading glasses!
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Mine has a rest whole in the face, just to the left of the buttons. The unit went dead, as you describe, and I was told to use a paperclip to rest the system. It worked, and still works fine.
Hope this helps.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to prescribe. A few on here and, IRV2 have described the same exact symptoms and I suggested the "reset" procedure and, it worked for many. No guaranties here but, may be worth a try. There's tiny hole in the front of the radio, I'd have to re-look at mine to tell you exactly where it's at but, you'll figure it out and, just get something like a paper clip end that will be small enough to poke into that little hole and reset the system. If that does not work, then your problem may be bigger and might have to dive into the rear plug, as has been suggested. Good luck and, please report back if you find the remedy.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a rest whole in the face, just to the left of the buttons. The unit went dead, as you describe, and I was told to use a paperclip to rest the system. It worked, and still works fine.
Hope this helps.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68.....I don't know if you're aware that Magnadyne went through a period where many owners wanted to throw them through the front windows of Magnadyne's offices. They would work fine and then start skipping, especially with a CD, and then work again. After about a year or so of issues, it was finally determined that the connector on the back of the radio had a bad design/connection at the hot lead. It wasn't supplying a constant/good connection.

Make sure you have power and then check the connector. Make sure it's solidly attached to the wire and inserted correctly into the plug, There was a post a long time ago regarding this issue.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab