cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC side issue Coach Batts not charging

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased the coach was told batts were good. I had AC power plugged in but no DC. Control panel didn't give lights, no genset crank and so on. I figured I'd do the most obvious things first. Swapped out the batts with newer fully charged ones from my boat. Also in doing that I wire brushed every possible connection to shiny copper. Figuring this would address 2 possible issued (dead batts or corroded connections) well I still had no DC. I thought it may have been a bad master solenoid relay that was in the batt bay under the steps. However after cleaning it up like new I broke off a terminal putting it all back together. This is the item
Before I took it off and cleaned it. So after not being helped my any Napa or any other place I went to an RV place 45 min away. They gave me what they called a continuos duty solenoid. Which looked like a standard starter solenoid and looked nothing like what I wanted. But I assumed he knew more than me and would be a generic replacement. After it was installed I still had NO DC and was puzzled as I knew I now had full batts, clean terminals wires and connections and a NEW solenoid. After doing some research found some just bypass the darn thing so I did and what do u know I HAD ALL MY DC WORKING! I was a happy camper feeling accomplished. I worked for a week inside the coach late nights not plugged into shore power. I eventually plugged in to make sure I was charging or topping off the batts.
Well last night I went out there and had no DC so I'm guessing the bypass was also bypassing charging??? I don't know but I'm bringing that thing back and getting a direct replacement relay/solenoid. The one I need has some small wires with blade fuses
22 REPLIES 22

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the picture is an intellec battery disconnect solenoid who's function is to disconnect coach batteries - should be two fuses on the top which might need replacing. Should be a rocker switch in the rig and the solenoid should make a loud click when rocker switch is engaged.

Also - rig will likely have a fuse or auto reset circuit breaker somewhere near the battery - when those go bad you loose DC in the rig. Worth a look. Google auto reset circuit breaker for pic. as they don't look anything like circuit breaker.
Kevin

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
This was the setup as I found it. Notice the burn marks top right of cover. I'm sure that couldn't have been good but it was like that when I got it. Nothing I did

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned everything meticulously

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Bud u are EXACLY correct. I did take many pics to make sure is put it back correctly however I broke off one of the posts on the batt disco overtighening it reinstalling

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Jack I'm sure I did run them down

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
It would also help if I understood fully the battery mode switches also mom/duel I get the batt condition button with gauge. That's obvious but if I don't have one of the switches like Aux in the right position would that keep them from charging? I've got all the books and paperwork for all the components on this rig with the exception of anything from Winnebago instructing me on how anything works like what switches are for what. It's a guessing game

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The photo is of an electrically operated mechanically held relay like similar to this one.
Battery disconnect
The condition of the relay in photo may just need cleaned up. Photo maybe sufficient to remove it completely clean it up and re-install. I would also make a drawing so as to get wiring back correctly.
Some of the relays have fuses on the upper side where the control wires arrive from remote location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your battery charger is not working when connected to AC shorepower. You worked many nights without being plugged in and ran the batteries down. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH