cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF pumps at Flying j/Petro/Loves etc

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can see, most of the big service areas have DEF pumps but they are only at the truck islands. Does anyone know if any of the fuel stops have DEF pumps at the RV islands?
Thanks
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse
13 REPLIES 13

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
There is no good way to add DEF to a passenger side tank from the pump. The hoses are too short for that. Pump the DEF into a container and then pour it into your DEF tank. I use a 2 1/2 gallon DEF container purchased at Walmart, and refill it at FlyingJ.

I do the same thing......and I fill MY DEF tank when i want...i just fill it at the truck stop and when DEF reads 70% I will pour from my 2.1 gallon can into the RV...next fuel stop fil can again...so far has worked rather well...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
There is no good way to add DEF to a passenger side tank from the pump. The hoses are too short for that. Pump the DEF into a container and then pour it into your DEF tank. I use a 2 1/2 gallon DEF container purchased at Walmart, and refill it at FlyingJ.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
danddclydes wrote:
I have also been trying to understand the problem with the def fill. I must admit that I have not had to do it yet, but my Mercedes GL has the fill on the right ( most German cars do ) and the def fill is there as well. I have never had anyone tell me that I could not pull in to the pump with the fill cap near the pump to fill up.

This issue has nothing to do with cars. This is about 42 foot long motorhomes with 18 foot toads using the truck pumps.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

sadrand
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel Exhaust Fluid, required for later model diesel engines. It is designed to reduce pollution from exhaust. It goes into a special tank and is sprayed into the exhaust.

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
I have also been trying to understand the problem with the def fill. I must admit that I have not had to do it yet, but my Mercedes GL has the fill on the right ( most German cars do ) and the def fill is there as well. I have never had anyone tell me that I could not pull in to the pump with the fill cap near the pump to fill up.

WETSNAIL
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to this. What is a DEF

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
tmmar wrote:
I don't understand the need to pull into the fuel lanes backwards. The DEF tank is on the passenger side of my coach towards the rear. I have 2 fuel fills on my coach- one on each side toward the front. If I pull into the fuel lane where the fuel fill hose is on the passenger side, wouldn't the DEF hose be on that side also. I may have to pull the coach up so that it reaches but I'm not sure why I would need to pull into the fuel lane backwards.

At least the places I have stopped with DEF at the pumps, the DEF hose is only on the driver side and the hose is not long enough to pull over to the DEF tank fill on the passenger side of the MH. I haven't seen DEF at the satellite pump on the passenger side... would be nice if they had that.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the need to pull into the fuel lanes backwards. The DEF tank is on the passenger side of my coach towards the rear. I have 2 fuel fills on my coach- one on each side toward the front. If I pull into the fuel lane where the fuel fill hose is on the passenger side, wouldn't the DEF hose be on that side also. I may have to pull the coach up so that it reaches but I'm not sure why I would need to pull into the fuel lane backwards.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
rr2254545 wrote:
joanbill wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

I like the faster pumps in the truck lanes and personally do not use RV lanes

Okay, I'm new to MH Rving after many years away. There are "RV Lanes" now? I take it they offer more maneuver room. Are most of them marked and are they at the major highway petrol stops? Sorry to sound dumb but I have been taught there are no dumb questions.

Pilot / Flying J have RV pumps but with a diesel pusher the truck pumps are best I feel. When I had my gas motor home in 2009-2011 I found that these RV pumps were a little tight as I was pulling a car.

Me too.. when we had our gas 37 ft MH and toad, many of the RV islands were tight as they seemed to be configured facing the store so you don't have much room to turn/swing on exit.
To the OP, I've only seen DEF at the truck pumps. Our 2013 MH has the DEF fill on the passenger side also, so filling there is a pain... I usually fill a 5 gallon container at the pump, then fill the MH DEF tank later later.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
joanbill wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

Okay, I'm new to MH Rving after many years away. There are "RV Lanes" now? I take it they offer more maneuver room. Are most of them marked and are they at the major highway petrol stops? Sorry to sound dumb but I have been taught there are no dumb questions.

Pilot / Flying J have RV pumps but with a diesel pusher the truck pumps are best I feel. When I had my gas motor home in 2009-2011 I found that these RV pumps were a little tight as I was pulling a car.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rvtommy
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks have a jug and fill it at the pump ?? rvtommy
this is rvtommy

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
tmmar wrote:
From what I can see, most of the big service areas have DEF pumps but they are only at the truck islands. Does anyone know if any of the fuel stops have DEF pumps at the RV islands?
Thanks

Even the DEF pumps at the truck lanes are on the wrong side for me as mine in on the passenger side of the MH, I have to pick a slow day at the truck stop in drive in backwards

Someone on here says that maybe the newer MH are on the drivers side but my 2012 is not.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks