cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEF tank size

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new 2013 Fleetwood Expedition. I thought the DEF tank was suppose to be 5 gallons. It read at the dash and the tank gauge half full. I added 2.5 gallons and it only came up to 3/4 full.

I checked for the tank size in the manual and its not mentioned where I can see. Anyone know? Based on that, it sounds like 10 gallons.
14 REPLIES 14

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Measure it. length times width times height in inches divided by 231
jwmII

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Current Freighliner chassis have 13 gallon DEF tanks. Mike at Camp Freightliner says the average tank of DEF should last about 4500 - 5000 miles. I found that under severe driving conditions (mountains, heat, and high rpm) we achieved 4000 miles on the 13 gallon tank of DEF.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I can see it fine. But I'm not the best judge of the volume. Anyway, it was at half a tank and it took 5 gallons to read full on both gauges. I didn't try to fit in 3 more gallons. Just assumed it was full. And based on that I guess it's a 10 gallon tank.

It looks like the extra $50,000 dollars on the Fleetwood model gets you the larger 13 gallon tank, probably a tag axle too, plus a few extra niceties. :B

Thanks for all the replies.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner XCS is 13 gallons. I would think most are about the same. Can you not see it? I can see the entire tank in mine....and it looks to be about 13 gallons.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
x2 mccsix. Mine holds 13 gal. 2013 Winnie Journey 40u.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Why not call the the guys that know at Freightliner 800-385-4357?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are worried.. Carry a spare gallon in basement storage.

It more closelly resembles part of the contents of the black tank (urine) than the contents of the fuel tank (Diesel fuel) so it's not a fire hazard.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

et2
Explorer
Explorer
It's a freightliner chassis. I only brought this up to see if my gauges aren't functioning properly. If it were a five gallon tank I would have filled it. Looking at the tank, well I'm not such a good judge of size I guess.

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
DEF is Not Fuel so it has no bearing on Mileage!

What it does is clean the Exhaust system and reduce pollution.

But there is still a mileage factor to it. You consume the DEF over time and miles. Like I stated, I go about 1100 miles on one gallon of DEF. AT that rate, I could go about 5500 miles on one five gallon tank of the stuff.

DEF is not injected at a standard rate of fuel burned as many things cause increase and decrease consumption the biggest factors being humidity and air temp.
I dont rent out space in my brain

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2013 Tiffin Pheaton with a Freightliner XCS chassis the DEF tank is 13 Gallons.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:

But there is still a mileage factor to it. You consume the DEF over time and miles. Like I stated, I go about 1100 miles on one gallon of DEF. AT that rate, I could go about 5500 miles on one five gallon tank of the stuff.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
On my Ford, the tank is five gallons. When it said it was 1/2 empty, I bought a 2-1/2 gallon container and poured it in. It took all of it. Then, the next time when it was showing 1/2 full, I put the same amount in, and it was full after only 3/4 of a bottle. I think the gauges/monitors on the DEF tank are about as accurate as the gauges on your typical RV black tank. On the good side of things, I'm getting about 1100 miles per gallon on my DEF.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis?? Our Journey has a Freightliner chassis and it has a 10 gl. tank