cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defrosting the Norcold freezer/fridge

PeppyPilot
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we plan a 10 week trip. Previously our trips had always been shorter, so this was not an issue.

I know it's dependent on weather and frequency of opening the doors, but any ballparks as to how often we'll need to defrost?

How long should it take? Any tips to speed up the process?

How to keep frozen food frozen while defrosting?
CJ, Pepe, and Zeva
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
Ford V10
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited
Blue Ox Tow Bar
RVi Toad Braking
16 REPLIES 16

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 1200 RIM seems to require a defrost every 2 months or so. When the frost covers the bolt heads for the ice maker...it's time. the other criteria. is when the freezer temp get to 10 or so.

I use a hair dryer regardless of what Norcold says and it's w 20 minute job....been doing that for 20 years with no issues just don't hold it too close and you should be OK.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Before defrosting make sure you hang the drip tube ouside the coach. That SMALL drip cup behind the fridge will fill up quickly & you will have water all over the backside.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mmriddile
Explorer
Explorer
I regularly defrost my fridge/freezer. First try to reduce the amount of food to the minimum before you do the defrost. Next, get your big cooler and go to the grocery store to buy some dry ice. I have found this at Publix and Safeway stores on the East Coast. Cram all your frozen food into the bottom of the cooler, and put the dry ice on top of it. You can layer some newspaper on top of this to try to reduce the evaporation of the dry ice. Leave the dry ice in the plastic bags it comes in. Do not touch the dry ice with your bare hands. This should keep the food frozen over night. You can set some of your fridge food on top of that layer but don't put anything that could be ruined by freezing like lettuce. You probably will need a second cooler with ice in it for most of your fridge stuff, or if the fridge is a separate space, you could just put the ice in the fridge section to keep it cold; it will act like a cooler even with the power off. Turn off the fridge and open the doors of the freezer. If you want to speed up the defrost process, you can use a blow dryer to melt down some of the ice but be aware that the interior is plastic and the blow dryer can warp it if your hold it in one place too long. I usually just let it melt overnight. I also place some absorbent towels in the bottom of the freeze (like ShamWows!) to soak up the water. Once everything is melted, I dry the surfaces off thoroughly. You will need to cool the freezer down again before you place the food back in there. You might need to go get more dry ice because it evaporates into Carbon Dioxide Gas overnight. Have fun!
Motorhome Momma
Driving 40ft Itasca Latitiude
Chevy Equinox toad
http://www.scoop.it/t/motorhome-madness

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is what I was suspecting. I can see the drain tube under the chassis but I can't see the upper end yet. Perhaps when I get more time.

There is a speaker in the cabinet below the reefer and I pulled that but I can't see the drain tube at all there.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
Am I the only one who just turns off the refer for 5-8 hrs and let it defrost by itself. Most of the melted ice drips into the pan and out the side of MH into evaporator pan. Sometimes sheets of ice fall off which I just throw into the sink. The only time I do this is on extended trips. For 2 weeks or less I wait until I get home.

If you're full timing...you're already home...:B:B.....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Am I the only one who just turns off the refer for 5-8 hrs and let it defrost by itself. Most of the melted ice drips into the pan and out the side of MH into evaporator pan. Sometimes sheets of ice fall off which I just throw into the sink. The only time I do this is on extended trips. For 2 weeks or less I wait until I get home.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Norcold manual specifically stated not to use a hair dryer. I would simply put the frozen foods in the sink and use hot water and a bulb syringe, think baby supplies or the one you use to fill your batteries. It doesn't take but about 15 minutes to completely defrost, dry and then put the foods back in.

If you notice water in a lower storage compartment when there is a defrost, you probably have a blockage in the drip tube. Looking below the fins in the fridge, you'll see a tray that spans the width of the fridge immediately below them. At one end of this tray is a drain hole. The water should drain to this hole and be carried out the bottom of the coach. Ensure this drain line is open....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I notice water in a lower storage compartment when there is a defrost.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How often do you need to defrost? Well, when you think you need to you need to, In hot humid weather it can be quite often, in dryer weather months.

How to keep food cold/frozen while defrosting.. Well I cheat..

First: In my car, in the back seat, is a picnic cooler.. If I run to the store for meat or milk or cheese or anything needing cold storage.. It goes in the picnic cooler,, USUALLY with a bag of re-freezable "Blue ICe" or equivalent.

I bring it into the motor home.

I also have an Engel Chest freezer/fridge (one or the other not both, adjustable as to which) and use it. I also wait till just before shopping day so there is not all that much in the freezer fridge.

But a Picnic cooler or two.. My best suggestion. How I've done it for years.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Florida for 3 months and had to defrost our Norcold twice. We put everything from the freezer into coolers with ice. We then put a shammy in both compartsments to soak up the water and left the door open. It took no time at all and the shammies held all the water.
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We waited until we were close to needing to shop for frozen stuff...
Emptied the few things we did still have into an ice chest.
Used a hair dryer on the freezer.

Took all of 20 minutes.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spraying the cooling fins with a non-stick cooking spray helps to delay the frost from forming as well as speeds up the defrosting process.
Depending on where you travel, the frost may not be as big a problem as you think. When we travel out West, with the low humidity in many areas, we can go for three months or more without having to defrost.

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
If you can prop an electric fan so that it blows hard into the freezer or refrigerator, the defrosting goes really quick. We too put the stuff in the sinks, or a big Rubbermaid container I have in the lockers below.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a propane fridge I would just wait till I got home. It was simpler that way.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts