cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dew & ice on satellite dome

tkranz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winegard dish with dome on my Winnebago. Have used it for about a year with generally good results. The usual rainy weather signal interuptions.

Recently I have experienced signal loss during heavy night time dew, and especially when dew forms on the dome and frost. I went up on the roof this morning and cleaned the dome well, and immediately got good signal back.

Question: Do any of you folks use "rain-ex" or other products on your domes to minimize rain or dew clinging to the dome? Or just a wax job?
8 REPLIES 8

ShapeShifter
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Rustoleum NeverWet shows a Satellite Dish on it's packaging:

Yes, it shows a DISH which is painted metal, but not a DOME which is plastic. Under the pictures it says concrete and wood, but the text under the dish is cut off. Other product pictures show the word "metal" under that picture.

The product information says it's compatible with "most plastics." It would be interesting to know what kind of plastic is used for the OP's dome, and whether NeverWet is compatible with it.

I don't know what kind of plastic is used by KingDome, but I know that when I used KindDome's treatment on my KingDome dome, it made the plastic look and feel terrible: it looked like the treatment actually attacked and softened the plastic.
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:

WoodGlue

I have a pluger made by Rubbermaid with this same coating. I can tell you that it works as advertised. Nothing sticks to it (including #2). I think that it would be something very cool to try on the dome. Before I try it though I am going to find out how much a replacement dome is, just in case the worst happens and it ruins the dome.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

ShapeShifter
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
we got rid of the dome and put a Motosat dish on. Best thing we could have done.

I did the same thing, but went with the Wingard Trav'ler. I agree, best thing I've done. Solved all of my dome issues, but then I had more issues than just rain fade.

I tried the KingDome rain fade treatment product and was less than impressed. I thought it would make the dome slick so that water beads and runs off, but if anything it made the dome rough and sticky. I never bought more of that pricey stuff. I gave up on the dome (for many reasons) before I tried other solutions.
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't use Rainex on plastic. I made that mistake not long after it came on the market.
I put it on the headlights and it turned them kinda gray blue and they didn't do that great afterwards. After about a year maybe they sorta cleared up.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use Rain-ex on my Kingdome and it seemed to help somewhat. But living in the Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot and when it rains is the time we would watch tv, we got rid of the dome and put a Motosat dish on. Best thing we could have done. If the DW wants to watch TV while we are driving, she watches programs recorded earlier.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Get some new Rustoleum NeverWet:

Never Wet

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Kingdome makes a product to repel water from its domes. I don't know if its any better than RainX or wax. Seems to me that a good wax would bead the water as well or better than anything else....frost??? thats another problem I would think.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox