cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel versus Gas

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
So I've seen numerous posts on this site over the past month that state if your rig is going to sit for long periods of time, go with a gasser. Why is this? Are the seals different in the engine?

I'm trying to decide between a gas and diesel for my next unit, and am leaning towards a diesel just because I'd like the higher quality interior, air ride, and having the engine noise 30+ feet behind me. I use my rig about 4-5 times a year, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes for a couple weeks of travel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom
19 REPLIES 19

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I didn't even consider fuel that much when I bought my RV new 10 years ago. I don't drive the miles to justify myself buying a D.P. Especially now that I retired. I drive to Arizona sit for six months then drive back home and sit for six more months. If I was driving all across the U.S.A. etc. I would buy a D.P. It's just not practical for me the way I use a RV to justify all the costs of a DP. What I like best is a very low payment and my coach is being close to being paid off.

at a $1.00 a gallon more for diesel, do you really save much driving one?
bumpy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even consider fuel that much when I bought my RV new 10 years ago. I don't drive the miles to justify myself buying a D.P. Especially now that I retired. I drive to Arizona sit for six months then drive back home and sit for six more months. If I was driving all across the U.S.A. etc. I would buy a D.P. It's just not practical for me the way I use a RV to justify all the costs of a DP. What I like best is a very low payment and my coach is being close to being paid off.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the diesel wasn't worth the extra money....until I drove it. After that, I never considered a gas coach again. Like the previous poster said, I would take an older diesel over a newer gas model any day of the week.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone...
Holiday Rambler Arista & Jeep Liberty Toad

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a diesel, and get a gas rig, you will always wonder if you made the right decision.

Get what you want.

This is not a practical hobby.........
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to beat a diesel coach. Just the ride alone is worth it. They are so quiet you barely can hear the engine on the rear. It is heavy and gives a much better ride on windy days. I have had both and I would never go back to a gasoline motor home.

Diesel vs gasoline? No comparison to make. The diesel is superior to a gasoline engine. Less moving parts on a diesel vs a V-10 or V-8 engine. More torque on diesel engines. Lasts three times longer then a gasoline engine.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim wrote:
We went with a HR gas coach, used, and in great shape. I wanted a DP, but we are not going to travel enough to justify the extra initial cost and yearly maintenance of a diesel coach. The quiet and smoother ride will be missed, but since we are traveling short distances, the acceptable noise level of the Ford V10 is fine. I really don't hear it when the unit is parked at the campground...

For us, it was quality of the coach, affordability, overall cost and ease of maintenance. This coach won out in all those areas.

That is exactly what makes this such a wonderful hobby. There is no right answer for everyone, just the right answer for you.

Tom

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a HR gas coach, used, and in great shape. I wanted a DP, but we are not going to travel enough to justify the extra initial cost and yearly maintenance of a diesel coach. The quiet and smoother ride will be missed, but since we are traveling short distances, the acceptable noise level of the Ford V10 is fine. I really don't hear it when the unit is parked at the campground...

For us, it was quality of the coach, affordability, overall cost and ease of maintenance. This coach won out in all those areas.
Holiday Rambler Arista & Jeep Liberty Toad

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
A diesel engine can set for 5-10 years and crank right up with a new battery. Not going to do that with a gas engine. This is even before the sorry gas they are making today.
OP, under 36' you do not need a diesel, but like you said... "the higher quality interior, air ride, and having the engine noise 30+ feet behind" plus a turbo and an exhaust brake.
'When I worked on buses, After the end of the school year we would add diesel fuel conditioner to the diesel buses that were going to go unused over the summer to prevent algae from growing in the fuel tanks from setting... ALL engines need care taken and no engine type is immune... If anything diesels need more prep as they are far more expensive to repair from neglect...

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
A diesel engine can set for 5-10 years and crank right up with a new battery. Not going to do that with a gas engine. This is even before the sorry gas they are making today.
OP, under 36' you do not need a diesel, but like you said... "the higher quality interior, air ride, and having the engine noise 30+ feet behind" plus a turbo and an exhaust brake.

Obviously you do not have much experience with engines. Since I have restored a lot of old automobiles I can say that I personally have gotten gasoline engines running in a short time, without a tear down, that have been sitting for 20-30 or even 50 years. I am not sure why you think a diesel engine can sit for years and still be in great shape. When I was a contractor I had a lot of diesel equipment and if not properly stored, I would still have to go through the same routine with them to get them running as with the gas powered equipment.
Since the OP plans to use his coach 4-5 times a year, all of the talk about an engine sitting for YEARS does not really apply.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
I have not even picked up my Diesel pusher yet.
But, I know some of Diesels and have done some homework.
Diesels will have more resale. Not many V10 RV'S with 100000 miles out there.
Diesels CAN have better interiors because of weight.
Diesels WILL have a better chassis.
Diesels fuel will not go bad. It will get algee in it and the cetane will go down over time, but it will start if the fuel system is air tight.
Diesels WILL pull much better over all and better MPG.

I am at the lower level of Diesel Pushers, but in my opion, I would buy a diesel 3 to 4 years older from a gas for the same money.

BTY, Do you know what the inventor , Diesel, based the fuel of the diesel motor on? Vegetable oils. If you are using a pre 1998 motor, you can use WVO, TRASN FLUID, MOTOR OIL, .....almost any oil to run you rig. The newer ones uses injectors and pumps that have a hard time with the thicker fuel, but heater will help that too.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Dachristianman wrote:
So I've seen numerous posts on this site over the past month that state if your rig is going to sit for long periods of time, go with a gasser. Why is this? Are the seals different in the engine?

I'm trying to decide between a gas and diesel for my next unit, and am leaning towards a diesel just because I'd like the higher quality interior, air ride, and having the engine noise 30+ feet behind me. I use my rig about 4-5 times a year, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes for a couple weeks of travel.

Tom

I believe they were suggesting that if you are not going to be using the coach it's not worth the extra cost in buying a DP. Nothing to do with anything engine related.

Ahhh, maybe that is what they were talking about. I was thinking that somehow gassers fared better sitting for long periods of time. I'm looking at turn-of-the-millinnium diesels so depreciation won't be as bad as on a new one.

Tom

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dachristianman wrote:

Tom

I believe they were suggesting that if you are not going to be using the coach it's not worth the extra cost in buying a DP. Nothing to do with anything engine related.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad