Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dingy towing braking systems

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I am new to Motorhome traveling and dingy towing. I am looking for a braking system and two I am considering are the InvisiBrake system by Road Master and the BrakeBuddy Classic. Does anyone have experience with either of these systems or information on which is the better system? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
22 REPLIES 22

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a Brake Buddy for over 3 years. Had an issue once while we were out of town and they shipped a new one to us at the campground - great customer service. Our just plain works and we like being able to use it in more than one vehicle.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I used the BrakeBuddy classic for many years. It worked, but...finding a place to store the "box" when we traveled with more than just 2 was a problem. A few times for whatever reason the car battery dropped below the minimum and when I stopped for a rest and checked the toad the BrakeBuddy was off. I guess my best bet if I were to keep the BrakeBuddy would be to run a charging line from the motorhome. Anyway, I changed to the ReadyBrake about 5 years ago. No box, no battery issues, just a surge cable. Works for me.

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the info folks. Yes, quite strange to be saying lady Gamecocks. Also, congrats on your good football year. Hopefully, Gamecocks will do better this year.

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
You should also check out the Ready Brake system.

ReadyBrake

I have used it for years and been happy with it. Once it's installed it is a simple hook up and unhook. Nothing to store when you're not using it.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brake Buddy is just plain dumb easy to use. Purchased mine in August '07. It now on its 4th toad and second MH. Mine has been bullet proof. No install cost. The breakaway is simple to install with minimal tools but does require some head scratching for wire routing especially through the firewall.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a SMI system and love it. So simple and use a blue ox Avanti
tow our CRV perfectly, don't even know your towing. Quick and simple to use.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yo Gamecock ( I'll not holds that against you ! ). When you determine what system you want, and if it's a self install such as the Brake Buddy or similar, check out EBay as you can pick some up for way less than list price.

Congrats to the Lady Gamcocks ( you do realize how odd that sounds ) on another fine year. Go Tigers!!!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a Brake Buddy for over 10 years. We have had it rebuilt twice. No real problems.

Gamecock7483 wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to Motorhome traveling and dingy towing. I am looking for a braking system and two I am considering are the InvisiBrake system by Road Master and the BrakeBuddy Classic. Does anyone have experience with either of these systems or information on which is the better system? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT