cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all Class A gas MHs have generators in the back?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a video about gas vs diesel and they said that gas MHs had generators in the back of the unit and that diesel had it up front. So, I assumed that all gas MHs had them in the back.

Would love to hear as to whether or not this is true, and if not, then would love to know about gas models that do not have the generator in the back, since the diesels are more expensive.
30 REPLIES 30

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
OK...I'll chime in... my genset is mid-ship in the compartment just forward of the driver's side rear tires. Exhaust pipe exits just in front of the tires beside the main engine tailpipe. Surprisingly, to not be a "quiet run" set, it is remarkably quiet. But I do not ever plan to sleep with it running. Just too many risks of CO buildup inside the coach. Even with a detector, I don't trust going off to LaLa-Land while it's running....I really don't want to wake up dead...

Isn't the point to run a generator when you need it. In the heat of the summer parked at a Walmart how would you stay cool or do you just avoid being in a situation where it is 80 degrees at night, humid and no shore power. That seems to eliminate a lot of options when traveling via a Class A.

I'd rather be warm and alive than dead and cold. I know it's a little doom and gloom but I won't run it at night. Frankly I never put myself in a position where I need to. If I have to overnight somewhere I get a campsite with electric if I think I need it. Haven't eliminated any of the options of places I want to go. If it's a place requiring me to run my gen all night, I wouldn't plan on going there. Nothing wrong and I am not shaming those that do, I just won't. Never camped at a Wal Mart either and have no plans to do so.
2013 ACE 29.2

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
OK...I'll chime in... my genset is mid-ship in the compartment just forward of the driver's side rear tires. Exhaust pipe exits just in front of the tires beside the main engine tailpipe. Surprisingly, to not be a "quiet run" set, it is remarkably quiet. But I do not ever plan to sleep with it running. Just too many risks of CO buildup inside the coach. Even with a detector, I don't trust going off to LaLa-Land while it's running....I really don't want to wake up dead...

Isn't the point to run a generator when you need it. In the heat of the summer parked at a Walmart how would you stay cool or do you just avoid being in a situation where it is 80 degrees at night, humid and no shore power. That seems to eliminate a lot of options when traveling via a Class A.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Not all campgrounds have shorepower available. The NYS parks run by the Dept of Environmental Conservation (mostly in the Adirondacks) for instance, do not, while the ones run by the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (the rest of the state) typically do, including some with FHU's. Nationally, some national park, Forest Service, and BLM campgrounds do not include shorepower.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

guardrail53
Explorer
Explorer
My last two gas MH's had the genny in the middle, drivers side. My first gas class A had the gen. pass. side rear? Terrible place, in my opinion. There is no set place, but I think they try to get them as close to the middle of the coach as possible? And I also sleep with the gen. running or not? Makes no difference to me, as I have a working Carbon Monx. Detector! But if it is a hot, humid night and no shore power, the gen. runs to power the a/c. What its there for. And I try to park so the exhaust does not offend anyone next to me. One thing that struck me as odd, in previous comments about someone running a loud gen. in the campground, unless you are in the dry camping area, shore power kind of makes it unnessary? Now at the Nascar races, camping in a field, you get all kinds of generator's running, and some of them are very loud! Rail!
1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32', 454 FI, 4 sp. auto.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is up front.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
cpoo wrote:
All three of my Winnebago's driver side rear. I too like it back there as quiet and not generally used when sleeping.

Does that mean that it is at the back of the MH but on the driver's side?

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
WE have gas Class A's with the generator in the back, left side, right side, and near the front. Just gotta look for them.

janegowest wrote:
I saw a video about gas vs diesel and they said that gas MHs had generators in the back of the unit and that diesel had it up front. So, I assumed that all gas MHs had them in the back.

Would love to hear as to whether or not this is true, and if not, then would love to know about gas models that do not have the generator in the back, since the diesels are more expensive.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is just behind the drivers seat. Exhaust pipe rear of drivers side rear tires.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
All three of my Winnebago's driver side rear. I too like it back there as quiet and not generally used when sleeping.
Bob

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! What an education! 🙂

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The genny in our Coachmen gasser is midship, and the one in our Landau gasser is at the left rear. There is no hard and fast rule about genny placement, other than the front being otherwise occupied.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
My HR Vacationer's genny is in front of rear wheels under hallway.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A generator can be put most anywhere that there is room. On a gasser "Up Front" is usually occupied by something very large and horsepower-y (the main engine)

The back is often... more or less open.

On my coach (Gasser) the generator is almost exactly amidships (about 19 feet back from the bumper, either bumper, if that is I had bumpers)

I've seen mid-mounts on Diesels (or rear) as well.

So I would never say "ALL" when it comes to where do they stuff 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times